[SOLVED] Random BSODS

Apr 27, 2021
Solution
Hello blacksinbox.

I read the dump files, and they seem to be very sporadic; they do not pin-point a specific driver. Alongside, it is also blaming Windows kernel functions to be the cause. You have also stated that you used Memtest86 to test the memory, and that you ran commands to check something (the something is not described). With this information in mind, I would advise you to try the following (apologizes if you have already tried some of these):

1) Utilize the DISM and System File Check commands to check for file corruption. Recently, this solved a friend of mine's problems with his network drivers. I suggest giving it a try, even if you have already done so as a sanity check. Please run the commands listed below in order of...
Random blue screens for months. Sometimes back to back and other times nothing for days.
Clean install of Windows 10 x2
Memtest 1 pass but with all 64 g at same time . Passed
Surface test on SSD. passed
Ran through command prompt tests with Microsoft and found no issues.
Updated my Bios on 4/27/2021
Drivers are all updated

System: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UebmeVhzeLEdufIuNVN3kTJ

Mini dump https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVql3WQUYTOUHWVKPC0t84DRE-4qEjVU/view?usp=sharing
You updated the bios today to an old version.
Did you install the all in one driver before the bios update?
Are you still getting the blue screens?

Apr 27, 2021
The speccy was prior to the update . Here is the current version. I am showing the current version 4.8 from 3/10/2021. I did not install the all in one driver prior to flashing through the bios. Its been close to 48 hours since the update with no bsod but I have gone several days without them. If I can go a week or more I would start to think something worked. I did download the AMD Chipset Software Installer for the cpu but was not sure if there was an all n one for the motherboard. I did go back and install chipset, lan, audio and usb driver updates.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Y8AzxtOHb4l82MJ84vnLqRz

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Hello blacksinbox.

I read the dump files, and they seem to be very sporadic; they do not pin-point a specific driver. Alongside, it is also blaming Windows kernel functions to be the cause. You have also stated that you used Memtest86 to test the memory, and that you ran commands to check something (the something is not described). With this information in mind, I would advise you to try the following (apologizes if you have already tried some of these):

1) Utilize the DISM and System File Check commands to check for file corruption. Recently, this solved a friend of mine's problems with his network drivers. I suggest giving it a try, even if you have already done so as a sanity check. Please run the commands listed below in order of listing.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
sfc /scannow

DISM will replace the store that the System File Checker will use. If said store is corrupted, the file checker will (in theory) replace files with their corrupted versions. This is why I suggest running DISM first. The System File Checker itself will check for system file corruption, hence the name. Upon detecting a corrupted file, it will attempt to replace it with a functional copy. There are some circumstances where this tool may not work, such as when the file is in use. In this case, you may have to replace the file manually.

2) Reset any overclocks or voltage changes (for all devices). Overclocking itself is not necessarily harmful. However, when paired with a voltage that the clock speed cannot run at with stability, it can cause bug checks. Usually, it stems from bit flips. Increasing the voltage can increase the temperature of your CPU or the device that had its voltage modified, which can then in turn slow the device down, which then causes a blue screen. Science behind it being that it cannot process the data at original speeds, as the device is slowed down to make an attempt at reducing temperatures. There is a chance it can mishandle data due to the device itself being unable to process it at original speeds. Lastly, reducing the voltage to your devices can cause single bitflips, which is enough to crash an entire system. You can read the article here for more information.

3) Use the Check Disk command. Simply put, it will make an attempt to repair corrupted files. Loss of data is documented, but that is if said data, such as text documents, are corrupted themselves. This is rarely the case. The command for Check Disk is listed below.

chkdsk /F /X

I would like to remind you that the commands provided must be ran with administrative privileges. Ensure you can run said commands with elevated privileges, or else you cannot perform these repairs.

Keep us updated on your sitatution!

Random blue screens for months. Sometimes back to back and other times nothing for days.
Clean install of Windows 10 x2
Surface test on SSD. passed
Ran through command prompt tests with Microsoft and found no issues.
Updated my Bios on 4/27/2021
Drivers are all updated

System: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UebmeVhzeLEdufIuNVN3kTJ

Mini dump https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVql3WQUYTOUHWVKPC0t84DRE-4qEjVU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
it would be unlikely that it was windows problem if he clean installed win 10 twice and problem persisted.
BIOS updates may have fixed bsod but as I can't read dumps without them being converted first, I don't know what codes he is getting. - I will ask a friend to convert
Overclocking advice makes sense, shouldn't install win 10 on a machine that is OC as it can cause bsod.

potential waste of time, no point if you had got an error as no way to tell which stick was cause.

Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 9, 2021
it would be unlikely that it was windows problem if he clean installed win 10 twice and problem persisted.
BIOS updates may have fixed bsod but as I can't read dumps without them being converted first, I don't know what codes he is getting. - I will ask a friend to convert
Overclocking advice makes sense, shouldn't install win 10 on a machine that is OC as it can cause bsod.

potential waste of time, no point if you had got an error as no way to tell which stick was cause.

I didn't even catch the fresh install x2 haha. Depending on the hardware, though, Windows might automatically install some very buggy drivers.

Apr 27, 2021
Update. Since installing drivers for the motherboard and updating the bios, I am 3 days in with no blue screen. I also ran the command prompt checks and posted the error above that was fixed. I will continue monitoring for now.

TRENDING THREADS