[SOLVED] Random Chrome shortcut appeared on Desktop ?

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
Hello, a random chrome shortcut for a twitch channel named Mod's appeared on my desktop today.

I know I did not create this shortcut because I have never been to this account before.
If anyone has any suggestions on whether or not this is malware, and if so what to do about it. they would be glady apprecaited.

I am running a full windows 10 scan as I type this.

Solution
Any recent software installs or updates?

Likely there was some checkbox (possibly not obvious) that, by default, gave permission to install the shortcut.

Take a close look at Task Manager's Startup tab. Look for any apps that you do not recognize.

Do not immediately delete: Google to find out what the app is and what it does.

Look in Reliability History: there may be some informational event captured that corresponds to the shortcut's appearance.

Also consider that you may have inadvertently created the shortcut.

Sometimes a combination of "typos" and mouse actions (drag and drop) can and will change the display appearance.

For example...

Ralston18

Titan

Likely there was some checkbox (possibly not obvious) that, by default, gave permission to install the shortcut.

Take a close look at Task Manager's Startup tab. Look for any apps that you do not recognize.

Look in Reliability History: there may be some informational event captured that corresponds to the shortcut's appearance.

Sometimes a combination of "typos" and mouse actions (drag and drop) can and will change the display appearance.

For example:

https://www.howtogeek.com/436615/how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-on-windows-10-the-easy-way/

Note the paragraph " How to Create a Shortcut to a Website".

Easy to do.

And not always immediately realize what you just did. :)

No harm in doing the scan just to be sure.

Solution

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018

For example:

https://www.howtogeek.com/436615/how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-on-windows-10-the-easy-way/

Note the paragraph " How to Create a Shortcut to a Website".

Easy to do.

And not always immediately realize what you just did. :)

No harm in doing the scan just to be sure.

Yeah, I immediately deleted without thinking, but I did not install any software minus a couple of unity assets from the asset store.

No strange tasks, besides like windows own tasks.
I am guessing I accidentally somehow managed to create a shortcut for that random channel. I was never on that page but who knows.

The only thing that stuck out on the reliability monitor was a windows hardware error.

Both of the full scans came back negative but I did cancel one of them early because it was taking like 4 hours. Literally, also thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS