[SOLVED] Random crashes and weird performance issues after installing new GPU

Aug 5, 2019
Hello, I am trying to diagnose whats wrong with my GPU. I've wanted to upgrade my PC so it can run VR games on the valve index. However I noticed that many games (Both VR and non-VR) would crash with my old GPU which was a Gtx 970. I upgraded to a RTX 2060 expecting large performance increases, however what I saw was that everything seemed to run a lot worse. Games were stuttering and certain games would crash on startup. After some time I upgraded my very old PSU, en EPS 750W to a newer NZXT E650. It seemed to have fixed the issues, many games run smoothly now. However many VR games I was able to run with the GTX 970 are still unplayable with the newer RTX 2060. Beat saber for example runs on 10 FPS and the GPU goes to 100% load on the CAM software. I don't want to waste money on more equipment before I understand the issue better, so I am asking here if people could help point me in the right direction.

My PC specs are:
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Socket-AM4
GPU: RTX 2060 OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4
Storage: 2 SSD's with one having windows installed on it.

One last thing. As far as I know I should be able to see the wattage of my PSU using CAM software but no guides seems to be able to tell me how to get that part to work.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Solution
Hello, I am trying to diagnose whats wrong with my GPU. I've wanted to upgrade my PC so it can run VR games on the valve index. However I noticed that many games (Both VR and non-VR) would crash with my old GPU which was a Gtx 970. I upgraded to a RTX 2060 expecting large performance increases, however what I saw was that everything seemed to run a lot worse. Games were stuttering and certain games would crash on startup. After some time I upgraded my very old PSU, en EPS 750W to a newer NZXT E650. It seemed to have fixed the issues, many games run smoothly now. However many VR games I was able to run with the GTX 970 are still unplayable with the newer RTX 2060. Beat saber for example runs on 10 FPS and the GPU goes to 100% load on...
Hello, I am trying to diagnose whats wrong with my GPU. I've wanted to upgrade my PC so it can run VR games on the valve index. However I noticed that many games (Both VR and non-VR) would crash with my old GPU which was a Gtx 970. I upgraded to a RTX 2060 expecting large performance increases, however what I saw was that everything seemed to run a lot worse. Games were stuttering and certain games would crash on startup. After some time I upgraded my very old PSU, en EPS 750W to a newer NZXT E650. It seemed to have fixed the issues, many games run smoothly now. However many VR games I was able to run with the GTX 970 are still unplayable with the newer RTX 2060. Beat saber for example runs on 10 FPS and the GPU goes to 100% load on the CAM software. I don't want to waste money on more equipment before I understand the issue better, so I am asking here if people could help point me in the right direction.

My PC specs are:
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Socket-AM4
GPU: RTX 2060 OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4
Storage: 2 SSD's with one having windows installed on it.

One last thing. As far as I know I should be able to see the wattage of my PSU using CAM software but no guides seems to be able to tell me how to get that part to work.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

It sounds like a driver issue, did you run a 'DDU' utility (Display Driver Uninstaller) to fully remove the old drivers for the 970 before installing latest drivers for the 2060?

Here is a link for a DDU tool if you haven't tried that yet:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Fully remove all the drivers, then install the latest drivers from nVidia and see if that improves things.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Windows 10?

Take look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the crashes.

Take a closer look at the hardware requirements for the VR games you wish to play. Details/fine print matters.

Your system may be sufficient to run the VR games but not sufficient enough to provide full playable performance.

Aug 5, 2019
Well I tried to use the DDU program, however I am unsure if the program is working as intended. I click Clean and restart, and it seems to only uninstall geforce experience, as soon as I reinstall that program it claims all my drivers are still installed. I've even checked the box that says remove C:\Nvidia.

I fixed the issue in Beat Saber at least, so it may just be software issues in different games. For Beat Saber the issue was that geforce experience believes optimal performance is with a rendering scale of 1.8, something not even the high end gpu's can run optimally with.

Aug 5, 2019
I want to try the DDU program again in safe mode as some settings on geforce experience are not working at all now. However I've just noticed now that after inserting and using my new GPU my screen will remain blank until the login screen appears, which mean it is also blank when choosing boot options after a restart. I am therefore unable to start in safemode, anyone know what may cause this issue? My monitor is connected directly to my GPU.