Question Random crashes on some apps

Jul 8, 2024
Hello guys,

I've been experiencing very but very frustrating issue for a while. I don't really recall when it actually started and I'll try to leave details as much as I can. Please feel free to ask if there are any questions you have.

The issue occurs really frequently in WebStorm, Google Chrome. For Webstorm, it just crashes without saying anything. In the other hand, Chrome tells me that there has been a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION happened somewhere and wants me to reload my tab, then it works. One of the other symptom is the "Segmentation Fault" error that I keep receiving, pretty randomly from NodeJS tasks that I am running locally in WSL. Meanwhile, the games I have been playing is fine. I do get crashes in games time to time as well but they are extremely rare. No issues with the heat or the load when this happens.

What I tried?
Turning off/on XMP.
Memtest86, OCTT, Prime95 to see if any of the hardware is failing. None of them were able to point me into one direction and all the tests passed until so far.
Windows event viewer is empty.
BIOS is up-to-date and I am using Intel Profile on Performance mode now. They recently added this setting to my BIOS, just a month ago.

My system:
CPU: i9 13900KF
Motherboard: ASUS Z690 TUF DDR5 WIFI
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Black RGB 32GB(2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000 6000MHz CL36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK (I had one more 16x2 kit plugged in earlier until I found out their manufacturers are different and thought it might be causing the issue. I removed one of the kits and now I am on 16x2 as listed here. I was on (16x2)x2 earlier, the issue persists either way.)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 10GB

I'd be so glad that if anybody can share some ideas because I am literally stuck and need to develop software on this computer without being interrupted every 2-3 mins with this, its really annoying.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version? Might want to open up Device Manager and see if any items are flagged with a yellow exclamation mark.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Chrome tells me that there has been a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION happened somewhere
Go here;
chrome://settings/reset
and see if resetting Chrome helps you.

Did you perform a platform/system upgrade before the issue cropped up?

Jul 8, 2024
Thank you!

Sorry for the lack of details, let me provide them.
BIOS is the latest one but I had the same issue with the one earlier too. Right now I am on 3602. I tried factory one and the one before, which is 3501.
My psu is HX1500i and is just a couple of months old.
I do have Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 on my cpu.
Only flagged device is the RAID controller and as far as i know it shouldn't be an issue.

The only upgraded I have done recently is adding another kit of 16x2 but the issue started happening a bit after that. And now, I've removed the other kit, the issue goes on. I've tried vice-versa as well.

Resetted Chrome now, will see how it goes. I honestly don't think that Chrome itself is the issue because it happens in other softwares too. Example (when running Prettier):
image.png

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2024
Update:
I've made tons of research and came across with so many people going through the same issue with me. I feel like my cpu is defected even though its passing the tests, at least that is what it was for most of the people who left comments. I temporarily solved it by reducing my core ratio from 55x to 50x. I'll probably RMA this one.