Question Random crashes/restarts on a brand new build

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I recently built a new PC.

Everything is fine when gaming.

When I am doing everyday stuff though, the PC crashes randomly. Even when I was typing in this forum.

I really don't know what is wrong. Even more confusing was that it crashed when I typing my PIN to login, after a restart.
Event viewer was indicating an issue with secure boot, but I handled that

Is there a compatibility issue with the motherboard and CPU?
Do I need to stress test?

Please help!

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600
GPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI
PSU: Corsair RM850e
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz CL36
CASE: Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
SSD1: Samsung 990 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0
SSD2: WD Blue SN580 2TB

A CPU/motherboard compatibility issue would result in an unbootable system. It either works or it doesn't.

The likeliest culprit in this case is RAM. If you don't want to spend time using RAM testers, then consider returning the kit you have and getting another one. If you want more piece of mind in getting something ASUS verified works on the board, see https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...l_memory?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B650-PLUS-WIFI

If replacing RAM doesn't work, then it may be down to either the CPU or the motherboard, but it's not easy to narrow down who's at fault at that point.

Also make sure to keep the UEFI/BIOS settings at their defaults for troubleshooting/testing.

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
A CPU/motherboard compatibility issue would result in an unbootable system. It either works or it doesn't.

The likeliest culprit in this case is RAM. If you don't want to spend time using RAM testers, then consider returning the kit you have and getting another one. If you want more piece of mind in getting something ASUS verified works on the board, see https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...l_memory?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B650-PLUS-WIFI

If replacing RAM doesn't work, then it may be down to either the CPU or the motherboard, but it's not easy to narrow down who's at fault at that point.

Also make sure to keep the UEFI/BIOS settings at their defaults for troubleshooting/testing.
Thank you for your reply.
Now that you've mentioned the RAM, the only thing that I've changed through the BIOS was the DOCP profile.
The RAM was appearing as 4800MHz, even though it said 5600MHz on the box.
After changing to DOCP, it auto adjusted to 5600MHz.
I will try with the default setting and I'll come back to you.

Last edited:

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016

Hello again,

I have checked if my RAM is listed in the link you provided and indeed they are there.
So, I reverted the BIOS settings to defaults and I had restarts.
I then updated the BIOS and had restarts again.
Then I set the RAM settings to DOCP and then to DOCP II, but had restarts in both cases.

Is the fact that I don't have restarts when gaming pointing towards GPU?

I really don't know what to assume anymore.
I've updated the driver and everything.

Thanks again for wasting your time with my case.

Is the fact that I don't have restarts when gaming pointing towards GPU?
A faulty GPU at idle likely wouldn't cause the whole PC to crash, since the thing that would crash would be the GPU drivers and those are compartmentalized so they won't take down the system if they crash. If anything, you'd be seeing the screen blanking out a lot.

To really make sure though, type in "Event Viewer" in the start menu search, open the thing that it brings up, then check Windows Logs -> System and look for errors. In particular, look for "Bug check" type errors.

You could also see what report gets generated from "View reliability history" if you type that into start search too.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS