Random Ethernet Port?

camer0

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know a lot about networking, but today I finally decided to get around to investigating a random Ethernet port in my room (Which was an office to the previous owner). So it doesn't work, I have no clue where "the other end" is (If there is one), but I would like for it to work :ange:. I opened it up and on the connector itself it says "STAR006A". Any help on how to get this to work would be much appreciated! And if I am totally wrong about anything, feel free to call out my stupidity. Thank you!

Once I asked if Home Depot sells some kind of x-ray tool so I can find out how my house is wired, I basically got laughed at.

But that's what you gotta do, you gotta find out where the "other end" is. Look near where your cableTV junction is, look where your land line junction is, look near the electrical breaker box, where your current ISP modem is.

camer0

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

Yes, there are. What exactly am I looking for, for the other end? Would it be hidden inside the wall or would it be coming out of the wall?

Edit: The wire coming out of the ethernet port is CAT5E, i dont know if this affects anything.

USAFRet

Titan

It won't be hidden in the wall (probably). It might be in some sort of box in the wall, behind a panel. Garage, basement, closet....
It terminates somewhere.

I really wish people that create that crap would leave the new owners a map of where everything is connected. Just like your circuit breaker box. Easy to find, and hopefully labeled.

camer0

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

Would there be another port at this termination, or just wire? Is there a good picture anywhere of what I should be looking for?

USAFRet

Titan
There can't be a good picture, because no one knows exactly what that particular dude did.

Look for a bundle of 'wires', or maybe a box inset into the wall, with a bundle of wires and maybe a patch panel. As said...closet, garage, basement.

If you're lucky, something like this:
peC5Jm.jpg

camer0

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

I've looked and looked but haven't got "lucky". Is it possible for it to be in an attic, or is that not a place it would be?

camer0

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

I've looked there as well. Is there any alternative to just looking for it?

USAFRet

Titan

Not really.
Look at the electrical outlet near your feet. What is that attached to? The main circuit breaker box. Probably in the garage.
Hopefully, your ethernet plugs are connected to something similar. Where that might be....you are the only one who can find it. (if it exists)

Sometimes it maybe easier to run a brand new cable. That jack may not be a working jack, meaning it could be placed by a previous-previous owner and the last owner, having no use for it, just patch up the other end, and if so you are not gonna find it.

Another route is, go into a website like taskrabbit.com and see if there is somebody in the neighborhood who's willing to come in and look for the other end. Folks like us who done this before, we know what to look for, rather quickly... unless like I said, is been patched over.