Question Random flickering (black screen) after boot and during BIOS menu, restart fixes it ?

SaltyCode

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Hello,

I noticed an issue after updating NVIDIA driver in 10/12/2022, the issue itself is random black screen flickering right before or after logging into desktop screen. Weirdly enough today i went into BIOS menu to check on things since yesterday somehow my XMP profile was restarted and i didn't realize it. Since there were was flickering in BIOS menu it seems the problem is with hardware itself and no the driver (i may be wrong but correct me if i am).

Yesterday i did a MEMTEST since a couple of months ago in another build i experienced the same issue and the problem was bad RAM sticks which was fixed when removed. MEMTEST came out fine and as i mentioned today the flickering in BIOS menu started.

Weirdly enough after restarting everything is fine. I've left the PC on for 6+ hours on, played games, browsed used applications and still no flickering. Which makes me believe there's something going on after leaving the computer turned off for hours and turning it back on.

Also today i disabled PCI Express Native Power Management in recommendation of tuning another ASUS board here

My question is should i be alarmed? Since flickering can be an indicator of GPU being faulty but at this point better to know than to wonder.

GPU EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 TI
MOBO ASUS PRIME Z690=P D4
CPU I5-12600k
RAM 32GB DDR4 OCed to 3200mhz
PSU Corsair RM 850x Gold

Last edited: