Question Random freezes and crashes driving me insane.

nukoo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
For almost 2 weeks, I've been trying to fix my computer every single day and I feel like I've made no progress I've tried literally everything except for updating my BIOS as I heard it could damage my system if I don't know what I'm doing - but regardless,

This all started on october 21st, after I installed flight simulator 20 (I never even got to actually play it.), when I tried playing some FFXIV and noticed that both of my displays had frozen. A little unusual, as I had to hold down the power button in order to get my system to respond again. Got back on, didn't expect for the crashes to come back but they did - a lot.

Looking in the event viewer, most of the errors were either nvlddmkm stopped responding or
A TCG Command has returned an error.
Desc: AuthenticateSession
Param1: 0x1
Param2: 0x60000001C
Param3: 0x900000006
Param4: 0x0
(Event 10, EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv)

the latter, from my research being somehow related to the fact that I have a crucial brand SSD as my boot drive.

The way these crashes happen is my screen will go black and audio will either continue playing or stop playing completely, with my displays frozen on a still frame, forcing a power button hold. 10% of the time, my displays will go black and my system will reboot on its own. I never actually got a BSOD.

This drove me towards doing a clean installation of windows, wiping my SSD, and I did, yet the 2 errors came back on the 3rd and earlier today. Here's a link to the minidumps of my last 2 crashes. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1iibi40thdgityo/AAAIwlYualTDM5290CyJRWrXa?dl=0

I ran them through 4 different pieces of software and they're all telling me different things, and whenever I look anything up online it's different solutions everytime. This is all I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. I just want to know what triggered all this after installing a game and (maybe?) a windows and nvidia driver update that same day. I've done hardware scans and nothing seems to be faulty. My GPU is running normal temps on games and shows no signs of dying like artifacts. I'm just really lost and tired and need help with this.

Nov 4, 2021
If you can recreate the frozen display issue, you can use "Win+Ctrl+Shift+B" to reset the graphics card without restarting (assuming the system isn't frozen).

First thing I'd recommend is to uninstall your GPU drivers and install a version before October 21st. If it works fine, then it's probably a bad update.

Another thing to look at would be to see if Flight Simulator installed any secondary system files (redistributables) or DirectX files.

nukoo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
If you can recreate the frozen display issue, you can use "Win+Ctrl+Shift+B" to reset the graphics card without restarting (assuming the system isn't frozen).

First thing I'd recommend is to uninstall your GPU drivers and install a version before October 21st. If it works fine, then it's probably a bad update.

Another thing to look at would be to see if Flight Simulator installed any secondary system files (redistributables) or DirectX files.
Thank you for telling me about the hotkey, I had no idea that was a thing.

I've DDU'd multiple times and went back to 2 different nvidia drivers, trying out a 3rd now.

Also, how would I check? I've uninstalled flight sim and also done a clean install of windows since.

Nov 4, 2021
Thank you for telling me about the hotkey, I had no idea that was a thing.

I've DDU'd multiple times and went back to 2 different nvidia drivers, trying out a 3rd now.

Also, how would I check? I've uninstalled flight sim and also done a clean install of windows since.
No Problem.

If you think the SSD is a potential issue, crucial has firmware updates for their SSD's on their website. Since the GPU drivers don't seem to be fixing the issue, try updating the SSD firmware.

On Steam, after you download and install a game, when you run it for the first time (sometimes) it will ask to install redistributables, DirectX or third party software. I'm not sure about Window's store version of Flight Simulator.

nukoo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
No Problem.

If you think the SSD is a potential issue, crucial has firmware updates for their SSD's on their website. Since the GPU drivers don't seem to be fixing the issue, try updating the SSD firmware.

On Steam, after you download and install a game, when you run it for the first time (sometimes) it will ask to install redistributables, DirectX or third party software. I'm not sure about Window's store version of Flight Simulator.
I already got the latest firmware for my SSD, and flight simulator is completely wiped off my computer at this point.

Nov 4, 2021
Ah ok, gotcha. I'd say check the Reliability monitor for more info.

Search > type "View reliability history" > press enter

It should bring up the Reliability Monitor. Here you can view potential issues with your system. I'd suggest checking around the days the issue started.

Also make sure that your GPU is seated correctly and the wires are as well. It's most likely a software issue, but it's good to cover basic stuff (just in case).