carlc4

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I've been having random freezing / crashes for years. Every time the screen will freeze and I'm able to move the mouse around for a few seconds and then completely freezes. Audio will play from whatever audio was going before the crash, video game or youtube video, for a pretty long time before it stops too. I always have to manually restart. I built this pc years ago and regularly upgrade it. This was happening with windows 10 and 11 and I think I've replaced almost every part of the computer. The timing between crashes goes between a few minutes to a few weeks. There's never a BSOD and event viewer only shows that it shut down unexpectedly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
Mainboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
GPU: Radeon RX 5500 XT
SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 M.2 2280 500GB
Power Supply: EVGA 700 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 700W
Windows 11

I think the mainboard is my oldest part I don't remember if I had the issue before this part.
The GPU, memory, SSD, and power supply are all newer than the crashing issue. I think the CPU is too.

I've updated the BIOS and turned on x-amp. Currently doing the "Memory Try It!" thing and it seemed to work for a few days.
I saw something saying their audio device drivers were causing the issue, so I disabled the ones they did and that seemed to work for a few days too.
It does usually happen when there's audio playing, but it has happened when nothing was playing.
Edit: I don't seem to have any cooling issues either, nothing ever seems to get above 60C.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

carlc4

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Last edited:

carlc4

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
It's not the PSU. It's probably the RAM. In general, Ryzen is not good friends with Corsair RAM. What's the exact partnumber and version number of the RAM?
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 Intel XMP 2.0 Computer Memory - Black (CMK32GX4M2D3600C18) Amazon link I bought from

This is the memory I had before, had the same issue.
G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-16GIS Newegg link I bough from

Is there any way to test this without buying a new power supply?..recommends 500W to 599W
it's not the wattage supposedly provided.
it's the reliability and the quality of manufacturing for this particular unit.

there are many higher wattage units available that just cannot handle any higher resource heavy system, and many others that just cannot be trusted with any system whatsoever.

you should research quality of power supplies and read up on which are reliable for use in particular scenarios.
Tom's even has quite a few articles/threads related to the topic.

using a lower quality unit like this for a gaming system with anything other than iGPU resources can at worst be a good way to fry everything connected, at best just lead to problems similar to what you're seeing.
and units like these almost never provide much of a warranty and definitely would not cover connected components.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

carlc4

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
it's not the wattage supposedly provided.
it's the reliability and the quality of manufacturing for this particular unit.

there are many higher wattage units available that just cannot handle any higher resource heavy system, and many others that just cannot be trusted with any system whatsoever.

you should research quality of power supplies and read up on which are reliable for use in particular scenarios.
Tom's even has quite a few articles/threads related to the topic.

using a lower quality unit like this for a gaming system with anything other than iGPU resources can at worst be a good way to fry everything connected, at best just lead to problems similar to what you're seeing.
and units like these almost never provide much of a warranty and definitely would not cover connected components.
I got a new PSU and installed it. 80+ Platinum. We'll see how it goes.