[SOLVED] Random lag spikes in some games, do I need a new psu?

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
Hello, in a lot of the games I play I get maxed FPS, but I randomly get lag spikes to like 5 FPS for a couple of seconds? It’s not in all games but a good percentage of them do this! Do you think I need a new psu or ram, or it’s just poor game optimization? Thanks in advance :)

RTX 2080
Ryzen 5 2600
8 GB Kingston 3200Mhz ram
600w EVGA Semi Power Supply

Solution
First, i really hope that this EVGA PSU is not the one i think it is, EVGA 600W 80+, as it's in no way an appropriate PSU for RTX2080. Okay, EVGA 600BQ is better, but i'd perhaps still recommend to replace it. Second, your CPU has somewhat low IPC and that affects your framerate. And lastly, i assume you do have a SSD ? I.e this game you're talking about is running from it ?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Migth just be that you run out of memory/ram. Think those games will use more than the 8gb you have if they are allowed. In that case the games will start using the page file and that swapping to that could well lead to the fps drops.

I personally would btw use something better quality than a "EVGA 600watt semi modular" psu with a RTX 2080. Don't think any of the good quality EVGA psu's has a wattage of 600watt.

btw which psu exactly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Archaic59

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
Migth just be that you run out of memory/ram. Think those games will use more than the 8gb you have if they are allowed. In that case the games will start using the page file and that swapping to that could well lead to the fps drops.

I personally would btw use something better quality than a "EVGA 600watt semi modular" psu with a RTX 2080. Don't think any of the good quality EVGA psu's has a wattage of 600watt.

btw which psu exactly?
EVGA 600BQ Bronze Rated Power Supply, games like metro exodus, HITMAN 2, even Minecraft weirdly but then some games preform perfectly, with no drops like fall guys

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
First, i really hope that this EVGA PSU is not the one i think it is, EVGA 600W 80+, as it's in no way an appropriate PSU for RTX2080. Okay, EVGA 600BQ is better, but i'd perhaps still recommend to replace it. Second, your CPU has somewhat low IPC and that affects your framerate. And lastly, i assume you do have a SSD ? I.e this game you're talking about is running from it ?

Reactions: bigbobsmith1968
Solution