Question Random lockup, possible faulty gpu or something else?

Link0702

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
Hello everyone, lately I've been having a problem, I can have a game open for hours without an issue, but when I close it and I'm just browsing the web, my computer freezes completely, sometimes it restarts by itself sometimes i have to do it manually, restarting makes it freeze at the windows logo sometimes or at the login screen, and i get into a loop of lockups and freezes at startup: it has gotten worse these last two days by freezing without opening any game sometimes, but it still happens constantly every time i exit one. I haven't had this computer that much time, i bought the psu, gpu and cpu from a second hand on July and i just started having this problem.

Things I've tried, that i can remember: Reinstalling windows, checked hdd stability, checked all drivers were up to date, Checked for high temperatures while playing games, a friend helped me check i had Ram correctly installed.

I tried using the pc without my gpu and it seems to work fine, but as i said earlier, the only reliable way i can replicate the error is by playing a game and then closing it,; I tried unplugging the gpu right after a lockup and then using the integrated one, it seemed to have worked but after a while i got a black screen, so i'm still not 100% sure.

After everything, I'm still at a loss, I don't have access to other computer to test individual parts so.. i have to work with what i have.

i appreciate every help i can get, thanks!

*Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3
*Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4300 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
*Gpu Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti
*12GB RAM
*Psu 650w corsair

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, it does not indicate the model of the unit. To add, you should mention the age of the PSU as well. Also, you should retire that system, that board is ill equipped to power that processor.

Reactions: Link0702

Link0702

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, it does not indicate the model of the unit. To add, you should mention the age of the PSU as well. Also, you should retire that system, that board is ill equipped to power that processor.
Thanks! sorry, the model of thec psu is CV650, it was new when i bought it so it's 4 months old
I am planning on changing the board once i save enough money, for now you think that's part of the problem?