[SOLVED] Random monitor blackscreen, display driver seems to crash since getting new RTX 3070. Have tried all most everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2021
Since I got my RTX 3070 (replacing my GTX 1060 6GB) back in October I have had a problem with my display driver (I believe so anyway) randomly crashing and after about 15 seconds resumes, crashing any games / GPU intensive tasks. This used to happen once every couple days but in the past few weeks it has been happening multiple times a day. I am convinced that the GPU or possible the PSU is at fault.
When I check windows reliability monitor it always shows problem code 141.
Source
Windows

Code:
Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎12/‎01/‎2021 14:32

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffa0890761b010
Parameter 2:    fffff8003a512100
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    4
OS version:    10_0_19042
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    768_1
OS Version:    10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    6153

There are usually 2-3 of these reports every time it freezes. I have tried almost every possible solution I've seen on the internet and none have worked:
  • Uninstalled all graphic drivers with DDU, reinstalled after
  • Checked for disk fragmentation
  • Fresh boot of windows
  • Checked ram
  • Swapped PCIE slot for the 3070
  • Changed from 2 daisy chain 8 pin power cables to 2 separate 8 pin power cables for the 3070. (I know I should have done this from the beginning, changed it after a couple weeks of having the GPU)
My specs are:
  • ASUS RTX 3070 DUAL
  • ROG STRIX B250F Motherboard
  • i7 7700k (not OC'd)
  • 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400
  • 1 TB NVME SSD
  • Corsair CP-9020131 TX750M PSU
I have noticed a strange pattern with these display crashes. They overwhelmingly happen in the early afternoon to mid afternoon. I can't recall it happening any time after 4pm in the past few weeks which is strange considering the PC is on and I am using it regularly from about noon to midnight. The displays only seem to crash when under little load, I play a lot of GPU intensive games and it has never crashed while playing(This is why I have mostly tolerated the blackscreening as it never happened while I was playing). I can not remember a single crash that has happened playing a game under heavy load in full screen besides 1 or 2 crashes while playing a minecraft modpack not in full screen.
I am running out of ideas on how to fix this and if anyone could provide any insight on what could possibly be causing these problems I will be very grateful before I attempt to RMA the card.

topmag

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hi,

I seem to be having the same issue except I have the RTX 3060ti FE.

Mine never crashed in a video game either, I've had multiple 8 hour sessions of Red Dead Redemption 2 cranked up to ultra, and no issues appeared whatsoever.

EVEN STRANGELY so, my display driver crashes only when I fullscreen videos on YouTube...

Would also really like to hear a solution to this.

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you tried going into the Nvidia control panel and setting the power management mode to high performance?

I have seen others say that has fixed their issue that you are seeing. It sounds like these cards have a voltage issue when at low clocks causing these random issues.

Last edited:

topmag

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Have you tried going into the Nvidia control panel and setting the power management mode to high performance?

I have seen others say that has fixed their issue that you are seeing. I sounds like these cards have a voltage issue when at low clocks causing these random issues.

Testing this now. Will come back with an answer soon.

EDIT:

Alright, this appears to have worked for me. Will update if anything changes.

Thanks, tecmo.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021

I have seen others say that has fixed their issue that you are seeing. It sounds like these cards have a voltage issue when at low clocks causing these random issues.
I did try that but it didn't solve the issue so I set it back to normal. However, after setting it back to normal there hasn't been a single driver crash. I believe my issue was actually Firefox's hardware acceleration as I manually set firefox to low priority in some setting somewhere, I can't remember exactly where, and since then I've not had any issues. I only recently realised that the crashes only started to become a daily occurrence after I swapped from Chrome to Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.