Etisalat

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
G'day gentlemen, I'm aware that there are countless other threads about this issue however none of them worked for me, unfortunately. The problem as I stated in the title is ping-related where all of a sudden I would get 300+ ms or more when normally it would be <10. This issue happened out of the blue and I tried many things to rectify it.

I tried changing routers twice, changing the ethernet cable, trying the wifi adapter, updating the drivers reinstalling them and many more. I tried isolating the problem and it turns out that my other devices are working just fine so the problem seems to be deriving from the PC itself. The ethernet cable works fine as I tested it on my laptop. An interesting thing that happened as well was that when I boot in safe mode with networking, the ping would be stable no further idea as to why this happens.

Specs:
Motherboard: PRIME B660-PLUS D4
CPU: i5-13600k
GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: 32GB DDR4

ExitLag Ping Report:
View: https://imgur.com/a/aPv12i8

Google DNS traceroute:
View: https://imgur.com/a/JId2ZK7

Google DNS -t ping:
View: https://imgur.com/a/YhhkRVL

This problem has been persisting for over half a year now and every game I play is unplayable. ISP has to replace the inner building wire but to no avail. Any help is appreciated, thank you for reading :)

Lutfij

Titan
The ethernet cable works fine as I tested it on my laptop.
So you're using all of the hardware that you're hooking up tot he desktop and you're only seeing high latency on your desktop? That would indicate the issue is compounded to your desktop.

You should see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. If you do, then clear the CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully. then run an update on your OS. Then uninstall your networking drivers, manually reinstalling it in an elevated command.

Try and disable any and/or all firewalls you have and see if that helps.

Everything you have posted does not show any problems. You will always see some variation in the ping times because of testing errors. Small random variations of less than say 30-50ms are fairly normal and will not affect you.

You would need to constantly run ping in the back ground while you play the game to see if you can get any data that shows 300ms spikes.

I assume you are seeing this in some game display. Many games tell lies about this all the time. If the game got very busy rendering some video data when it finally goes to check the ping time data it would then blame the added delay on the network rather than it not checking the buffer when the data was there all along.

It can also be other software running in the back ground. If you have say some web page open it could download a bunch of ads and spikes the load. Thing like steam are normally smart but if they would download a patch for a different game in the background it would cause a spike.

I would also look for any so called "gamer" network software on your machine. It is many times bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A very common name is cfosspeed but any software that talks about favoring one kind of traffic over another should be uninstalled.

Exitlag itself can also cause issues and you should not have this installed when you are playing games.

Etisalat

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
Everything you have posted does not show any problems. You will always see some variation in the ping times because of testing errors. Small random variations of less than say 30-50ms are fairly normal and will not affect you.

You would need to constantly run ping in the back ground while you play the game to see if you can get any data that shows 300ms spikes.

I assume you are seeing this in some game display. Many games tell lies about this all the time. If the game got very busy rendering some video data when it finally goes to check the ping time data it would then blame the added delay on the network rather than it not checking the buffer when the data was there all along.

It can also be other software running in the back ground. If you have say some web page open it could download a bunch of ads and spikes the load. Thing like steam are normally smart but if they would download a patch for a different game in the background it would cause a spike.

I would also look for any so called "gamer" network software on your machine. It is many times bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A very common name is cfosspeed but any software that talks about favoring one kind of traffic over another should be uninstalled.

Exitlag itself can also cause issues and you should not have this installed when you are playing games.
Thank you for the kind reply. When running a game in the background, the ping does fluctuate constantly in CMD when pinging Google's DNS constantly. I did a clean uninstall of any VPN I have installed including Exitlag and it seems like the problem is still persistent.

Etisalat

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
So you're using all of the hardware that you're hooking up tot he desktop and you're only seeing high latency on your desktop? That would indicate the issue is compounded to your desktop.

You should see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. If you do, then clear the CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully. then run an update on your OS. Then uninstall your networking drivers, manually reinstalling it in an elevated command.

Thank you for your kind reply brother. I was thinking of flashing my motherboard but others told me that if my motherboard is fine then flashing it might cause some headaches which will lead me to watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials just to fix a sub-issue but as I have tried every single fix I could think of, I do think that the problem is coming from either some kind of windows update or from the motherboard itself. I'll do more research on this topic, thank you.

Etisalat

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021

Quick update on how the BIOS update went. It went smoothly and the new BIOS update was installed and CMOS was reset however the problem unfortunately still persists

So you see the same 300ms ping spike in the actual ping command or it just varies. It is extremely common to see smaller..ie less than 50ms.

If you are seeing the spike you next need to test to your router IP. It is unlikely you see any issue here but if you do it is likely something wrong with your PC.

If this is ok run tracert 8.8.8.8. It will show no issues likely the goal is to get the router IP in the path. Generally hop 2 represents the path between your house and the ISP. You want to leave a ping run to that.

You can run ping to other hops but the farther you get from your house the less likely your ISP can fix it since it could for example be in google or the game companies ISP.

Etisalat

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
G'day gentlemen, I'm aware that there are countless other threads about this issue however none of them worked for me, unfortunately. The problem as I stated in the title is ping-related where all of a sudden I would get 300+ ms or more when normally it would be <10. This issue happened out of the blue and I tried many things to rectify it.

I tried changing routers twice, changing the ethernet cable, trying the wifi adapter, updating the drivers reinstalling them and many more. I tried isolating the problem and it turns out that my other devices are working just fine so the problem seems to be deriving from the PC itself. The ethernet cable works fine as I tested it on my laptop. An interesting thing that happened as well was that when I boot in safe mode with networking, the ping would be stable no further idea as to why this happens.

Specs:
Motherboard: PRIME B660-PLUS D4
CPU: i5-13600k
GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: 32GB DDR4

ExitLag Ping Report:
View: https://imgur.com/a/aPv12i8

Google DNS traceroute:
View: https://imgur.com/a/JId2ZK7

Google DNS -t ping:
View: https://imgur.com/a/YhhkRVL

This problem has been persisting for over half a year now and every game I play is unplayable. ISP has to replace the inner building wire but to no avail. Any help is appreciated, thank you for reading :)
I FOUND THE ISSUE! I resolved the months-long issue by:

1. Win + r
2. Type in "msconfig"
3. Go to "Services" in options
4. Check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box
5. Click on the "Disable all" box and then click apply
6. Go to "Startup" and disable all of them manually one by one and when you're done with them all restart your PC and the issue should be resolved!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some of your apps may not work because you've disabled them in the "Services" option for example: Nvidia broadcast, Nvidia container, Nvidia experience or any other program. To solve this issue, you can reenable them in the "Services" tab but it may be the cause of your ping spike so keep that in mind.