[SOLVED] Random Ping Spikes

Apr 10, 2021
I get random ping spikes and packet loss. This happens every 10-30 minutes (every time is different). This happens only on my PC.

I have tried:
  • New USB Wi-Fi adapter
  • New PCI Wi-Fi adapter
  • New motherboard
  • Updating firmware
  • Windows factory reset

Solution
There is no way to prioritize the wifi traffic itself. In many cases it is interference from a neighbor using their wifi. It is impossible to control someone elses usage.

This is the major problem with wifi everyone tries to use the same limited bandwidth and everyone just stomps on each other.

Not sure using different nic cards means you should have loaded different drivers. Many times strange issues are related to driver problems but it would be unlikely on 2. Be very sure you are using the drivers from the card manufacture or chipset vendor and not the generic ones in windows.

Other things you can check are that you do not have any form of power saving features turned on. There is also some autoconfig option the...
The way radio works... think of a corridor with lots of doors where everyone talks to each other but only one can talk at any given moment without interfering with others.
So every time someone talks others have to wait. It does not even have to be your network, everyone that uses the frequency will interfere. Even a microwave oven will. It explains your spikes.

Apr 10, 2021
The way radio works... think of a corridor with lots of doors where everyone talks to each other but only one can talk at any given moment without interfering with others.
So every time someone talks others have to wait. It does not even have to be your network, everyone that uses the frequency will interfere. Even a microwave oven will. It explains your spikes.
Is there a way for me to make my router prioritize my PC?

There is no way to prioritize the wifi traffic itself. In many cases it is interference from a neighbor using their wifi. It is impossible to control someone elses usage.

This is the major problem with wifi everyone tries to use the same limited bandwidth and everyone just stomps on each other.

Not sure using different nic cards means you should have loaded different drivers. Many times strange issues are related to driver problems but it would be unlikely on 2. Be very sure you are using the drivers from the card manufacture or chipset vendor and not the generic ones in windows.

Other things you can check are that you do not have any form of power saving features turned on. There is also some autoconfig option the microsoft messed up with a patch but in theory that should be fixed. I think you want the autoconfig option turned on.

Reactions: RuslanZab
Solution