Question Random Restarts (WHEA Logger Event ID 18)

Dec 24, 2020
Hello and happy holidays.

I built a new PC November, and shortly after I noticed it was randomly restarting itself.

System Info:
  • Windows 10 Home x64
  • ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3500
  • AMD Radeon R9 380
  • 32 GB DDR4 PC4-25600
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA
  • Kurouto Shikou ATX Power KRPW-L5 (500W)
It started happened frequently while watching Netflix in Chrome. Switching to the Windows 10 Netflix app dramatically decreased the restarts. However, it still happened a couple of times.
I figured it was a video issue, but then it also restarted randomly while using Filmora to record and play Audio.
Oddly, it has never once restarted like this while playing more video-intensive 3d games (Overwatch, etc.) even for many hours. Yet a few minutes of Netflix will trigger a reset.

I've spent the past month trying to troubleshoot this on my own, but I am finally at the limits of my abilities and I hope someone here can help.
I've searched forums and tech sites for info about this problem, but they've only really allowed me to narrow it down to either an audio or video driver issue, or a problem with the graphics card, motherboard, processor, or power supply... As you can see, not a very precise diagnosis.

Steps I've taken so far:
  • I have updated all the system's drivers and the BIOS to their latest versions, but it still resets.
  • I have uninstalled the graphics and audio drivers and reverted them to the default Windows versions, but it still resets.
  • I have used CPUZ and GPUZ to monitor internal temperatures, but everything operates within normal limits.
  • I have run benchmarks and tests using Furmark and OCCT7, but they worked fine and did not reveal any issues or cause any restarts.
  • I have checked my fan connections, and they are all running fine.
  • I am not overclocking anything.
Other (potentially relevant?) information:
  • The restarts are registered in Windows Event Logger as Kernel-Power ID 41.
  • Most of the events do not contain a stop error (i.e. BugcheckCode 0), however a few of them do. The events that do include a stop error are all BugcheckCode 278.
  • Only 3 minidumps have been generated. All of them point to dxgkrnl.sys being the culprit.
At this point I am leaning towards thinking it might be a bad power supply, but the fact that running a power test with OCCT7 didn't cause any restarts sort of flies against that theory.
I don't want to purchase new hardware without knowing for sure what the problem might be.

I've tried everything I can think of at this stage.
Can anyone offer any insight, or suggestions for additional thing I can try to find the culprit?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If by reviews you mean customer than i'm not enclined to be too impressed with that. Looks to me like some low end bargain psu with bad quality.

I wouldn't combine some older paltform of questionable quality with those mostly new nice parts you have.

That bugcheck might be about the gpu regarding DX11, but i would only look at that after a replcement of the psu so to be sure it would really be gpu.

You installed a new motherboard+cpu+ram in an older system? Did you reinstall windows in that case as well?

Dec 24, 2020
If by reviews you mean customer than i'm not enclined to be too impressed with that. Looks to me like some low end bargain psu with bad quality.

I wouldn't combine some older paltform of questionable quality with those mostly new nice parts you have.

I agree with that notion, however from my impression Kuroto Shiko is a well respected Japanese made brand. If you know something I don't I'd be happy to stand corrected. If it is just a faulty PSU I'd be relieved because it's the cheapest part to replace.

That bugcheck might be about the gpu regarding DX11, but i would only look at that after a replcement of the psu so to be sure it would really be gpu.

You installed a new motherboard+cpu+ram in an older system? Did you reinstall windows in that case as well?

Everything in the system is new (inc. fresh Windows install on a new hard drive) except for the video card, which I moved from my old PC into this one. Never had any problems with the GPU in the previous PC.

Any other tests or diagnostics you would recommend I do before going ahead and buying a new PSU?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can Cinebench R20 for cpu can do Furmark to really stress the gpu and even combine to stress the whole system.

can keep an eye on temps/voltages this way,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

or make a log,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Don't need to reinstall hwinfo every time of course. Can take a look at the log, but that might take time, so install libre office as well and use "calc" to take a look yourself as well.

Dec 24, 2020
Can Cinebench R20 for cpu can do Furmark to really stress the gpu and even combine to stress the whole system.

can keep an eye on temps/voltages this way,

or make a log,

How to make a log,

you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Don't need to reinstall hwinfo every time of course. Can take a look at the log, but that might take time, so install libre office as well and use "calc" to take a look yourself as well.

I've tried Furmark and could not get it to reset. I'll give Cinebench a try next and update here if I have any results.

Incidentally, I tried replacing the PSU with a new Corsair PSU, and it is still having the same issue. So now I'm sure it's not the PSU.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Incidentally, I tried replacing the PSU with a new Corsair PSU, and it is still having the same issue. So now I'm sure it's not the PSU.
Which one? =maker+model+wattage.\

• The events that do include a stop error are all BugcheckCode 278.
This seems to point at gpu or drivers, but since you also tried without drivers from AMD might it just be gpu. No way of testing with another gpu? maybe from a friend or local shop ...

Dec 24, 2020
New PSU is Corsair CV650 (650 watt)

I don't have a different GPU I can try at the moment but I'll look around. The thing is that the GPU was working fine in the previous PC that I moved it from. Never had any issues. But I'll see if I can find something to swap it with.

Dec 24, 2020
Update: I was finally able to locate the problem.

It was both the CPU AND the GPU. Replacing the CPU cut the error down from several times per day to once every few days. Replaced the GPU after that and the error disappeared entirely.

What a headache it was. But I'm glad it's over.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Vic 40
Dec 24, 2020
Unfortunate news.

I have to report that the problem still persists.
I thought it had been solved, but it just appears that it now crashes slightly less often.

I replaced almost everything in the PC: the power supply, the motherboard, the processor, and the video card. I even upgraded to a better power supply and a newer video card. Still the error persists.

It happens quite frequently when playing Warhammer Vermintide 2, very rarely playing Overwatch, and sometimes when watching Netflix in Chrome.

It happens whether a 2nd monitor is being used or not.

I can't imagine what this can be... it can't be hardware because I've replaced all the hardware. I've tried removing all the software, fresh installing Windows, drivers, etc. It still happens.

All I can say now is that I will never be purchasing anything by AMD ever again...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Replaced everything but ram. Can't remember why i didn't check about that, cause Ryzen can still be ram sensitive and 32gb if 4 sticks might be a stretch for a cpu especially if you combined kits so did you take two sets of ram to get 32gb?

Dec 24, 2020
Try each kit on their own. See if that helps. Do enable (A) XMP/DOCP in the bios.

You replaced everything with the same parts?

The processor and motherboard were replaced with the same parts. The power supply was replaced with a Corsair power supply, and I ended up getting a new video card in case the age of the old one was the issue. But it turned out not to be.

I'm currently fiddling around with the RAM settings in BIOS to see if any configurations do better than others. Unfortunately the problem is not easily reproducible, so it's hard to test. I just have to make the changes and continue using the PC to see if it crashes. Right now it's been a few days since the last crash, so I am hopeful. However this happened before and then is started crashing again, so I am remaining cautious.

Dec 24, 2020
Any updates from you all since May? Still having this problem :'( Pulling my hair out

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the cause, so it's really tough to say.

I did find that lots and lots of people have this same issue with AMD processors. And it happens frequently with certain applications and almost never in other situations.

I can tell you a few things I've found that have helped improve the situation to where I'm no longer despairing:

1 - Uninstall Logitech G Hub. Many people said having this running in the background caused problems, and after installing it the frequency of my crashes lessened.

2 - Manually set your RAM's clock rate in BIOS. Your BIOS is probably set to "automatic" by default. Find out the actual clock speed of your RAM and set your BIOS settings to that speed. You may even need to download RAM profiles from the manufacturer. This helped a lot for me.

3 - The issue happens more often when using certain programs. Running Netflix in Chrome is a big trigger, but running Netflix in the Windows 10 app generally does not cause problems (at least not as often). Warhammer Vermintide also frequently causes crashes, but not other games for some reason, so just be aware of that if you play that game.

I wish there was more I could tell you. It's an issue that seems unresolved and extremely hard to diagnose, so finding a solution is rough. Good luck, and I hope that helps a little bit.

kneel23

Commendable
Aug 10, 2021
Interesting, for most of us the reboots happen at idle or completely random. Not tied to any application. Literally happened while I was even installing windows for the first time

Dec 24, 2020
Interesting, for most of us the reboots happen at idle or completely random. Not tied to any application. Literally happened while I was even installing windows for the first time
Mine aren't consistently tied with specific applications, but tend to happen more with some than others. Not completely random like you're describing though.

Have you manually set your RAM clock speed in BIOS? That was what seems to have made the biggest difference for me, though I'm not 100% sure what effect it had.