Question random restarts with NVIDIA GTX 1650?

Mar 25, 2020
I recently put a new gtx 1650 in a 6 year old dell xps 8700 with an i7 processor and plenty of RAM. Now I occasionally get random restarts showing Kernel-Power Critical Errors (41). It's hard to troubleshoot since it's infrequent and random, so I don't know the temperatures. It happens when playing games, mostly, but also a few times while using the chrome browser.

I just tried replacing the original 460W PSU with a Corsair CV550, but the issue persists. Any ideas about what to try next?

(Side question: should I keep the new PSU even though it didn't fix the problem?)

hard to say as you have addressed my first thought by replacing the PSU. I would perform a reinstall of OS and see if it's a possible software issue/possible conflict. if that doesn't help you'll have to isolate the individual hardware components which is another story altogether

Reactions: mzir

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Return the PSU - the VS isn't a great PSU as it is. The included Dell PSU is more than enough for a 1650 (I'm currently running a GTX 1080 in my Dell with the stock PSU).

That said, I've run across something on the Linustechtips forums regarding the use of 20- series GPUs in the XPS 8700:
Went to power settings and set it to high performance mode and disabled putting the PCIe into sleep mode in the advanced setting. Seems to be running stable now.

I assume that this is in the BIOS, or maybe in the Windows Power settings? Not sure. It also makes a reference to BIOS A13, but I have only seen on Dell's website BIOS A12 for the 8700.

For certain 3D programs, someone else said:
For all people who has the same issue with rtx 2060 and dell xps 8700 you can fallow the power options explained, it works, but if you has problems with 3d programs like 3ds max or quixel, you will need to follow one more step, in nvida control panel change: global settings/energy mode control/ to maximum performance, this will fix the 3d program restart. Hope it helps.

If you try any of this and it works (or, well, even if it doesn't), please let us know here - thanks!

Mar 25, 2020
Return the PSU - the VS isn't a great PSU as it is. The included Dell PSU is more than enough for a 1650 (I'm currently running a GTX 1080 in my Dell with the stock PSU).

That said, I've run across something on the Linustechtips forums regarding the use of 20- series GPUs in the XPS 8700:

I assume that this is in the BIOS, or maybe in the Windows Power settings? Not sure. It also makes a reference to BIOS A13, but I have only seen on Dell's website BIOS A12 for the 8700.

For certain 3D programs, someone else said:

If you try any of this and it works (or, well, even if it doesn't), please let us know here - thanks!

Thanks for this reply. Seems promising. That first Linustechtips comment seems like a reference to the windows power settings i think? First, I'll try changing the power plan to high performance and see what happens. I'm not exactly sure what the PCIe "sleep mode" refers to--but there is something called "Link State Management" under the PCIe advanced power settings. This is already set to "off" by default under the high performance power plan, so I think I'll just leave it alone.

I'll follow up here, whether this works or doesn't...

Reactions: King_V

G_T

Commendable
May 13, 2020
Thanks for this reply. Seems promising. That first Linustechtips comment seems like a reference to the windows power settings i think? First, I'll try changing the power plan to high performance and see what happens. I'm not exactly sure what the PCIe "sleep mode" refers to--but there is something called "Link State Management" under the PCIe advanced power settings. This is already set to "off" by default under the high performance power plan, so I think I'll just leave it alone.

I'll follow up here, whether this works or doesn't...
Did you ever resolve your issue? I am having the same problem after upgrading to a gtx 1650 super. Random restarts under very light loads. I appreciate any perspective/advice you can offer.

Mar 25, 2020
Did you ever resolve your issue? I am having the same problem after upgrading to a gtx 1650 super. Random restarts under very light loads. I appreciate any perspective/advice you can offer.

Unfortunately I never did resolve this. It's an old system with some other issues, so it was hard to diagnose. If you can, you might try putting the new gpu in another computer to see if you can isolate the issue to the gpu itself. Sorry I can't be of more help.

G_T

Commendable
May 13, 2020
Unfortunately I never did resolve this. It's an old system with some other issues, so it was hard to diagnose. If you can, you might try putting the new gpu in another computer to see if you can isolate the issue to the gpu itself. Sorry I can't be of more help.
So this worked for me (so far), plus one extra step:

Open Nvidia control panel, navigate to manage 3D settings and change power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

I'll try to report back if this fixes everything, but so far so good. How old is your rig?

May 24, 2020
So this worked for me (so far), plus one extra step:

Open Nvidia control panel, navigate to manage 3D settings and change power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

I'll try to report back if this fixes everything, but so far so good. How old is your rig?
Hi. Is your PC still stable? If so, did you change the Windows power setting to High Performance in addition to modifying the Nvidia control panel setting?
I’m running Win10 Pro on an XPS 8700 w/i7-4770. I just ordered a 1650 super and I can still cancel it If I need to. Thx!

Last edited:

G_T

Commendable
May 13, 2020
Hi. Is your PC still stable? If so, did you change the Windows power setting to High Performance in addition to modifying the Nvidia control panel setting?
I’m running Win10 Pro on an XPS 8700 w/i7-4770. I just ordered a 1650 super and I can still cancel it If I need to. Thx!
So far so good. I've been monitoring it with MSI afterburner and see nothing alarming, but admittedly I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Here are the steps I took to resolve the restarts:

First, go to power and sleep settings, then to additional power settings, show additional plans, and select high performance as the preferred plan.

Once the high performance plan is selected, click on change plan settings, change advanced power settings, PCI express, Link State Power Management, and change setting to off. Mine was already off.

Finally, open Nvidia control panel, navigate to manage 3D settings and change power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

I'm really hoping this is a permanent solution, and other than pessimism have not indication it is not. Fingers crossed.

May 24, 2020
So far so good. I've been monitoring it with MSI afterburner and see nothing alarming, but admittedly I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Here are the steps I took to resolve the restarts:

First, go to power and sleep settings, then to additional power settings, show additional plans, and select high performance as the preferred plan.

Once the high performance plan is selected, click on change plan settings, change advanced power settings, PCI express, Link State Power Management, and change setting to off. Mine was already off.

Finally, open Nvidia control panel, navigate to manage 3D settings and change power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

I'm really hoping this is a permanent solution, and other than pessimism have not indication it is not. Fingers crossed.

May 24, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds promising. To be honest, I didn’t know much about GPUs before deciding to update my PC instead of buying new. I decided to try a somewhat newer technology to replace the GT 1030 that is currently installed, and the GTX 1650S seemed to be the best bang for the $ I wanted to spend. But of course this logic does me no good if it doesn’t work :)
The one I purchased is the MSI Ventus XS. Not sure if this makes any difference. The card is supposed to be here in about a week and I’ll post my results.

May 24, 2020
Installed my 1650S 6 days ago and so far so good. I actually changed the 3D to 'Adaptive' to see how that would work and I have yet to have any issues at all, although I must admit I have not pushed the GPU for any prolonged period of time. I've also switched between both the Nvidia Game Ready and Studio drivers and have had no problems with either. Benchmarks are right where I expected for this card. Running Win 10 Pro v1909. I'll update if anything changes.

Jun 27, 2020

Gonna try this. Been trying to solve this issue for a week now on my own