Question Random screen dimming ?

ChennyBoi

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
Randomly, my screen will go dark(not black) for a fraction of a second or for about 5 seconds at most.

Things I've tried:

• clean reinstall of nvidia drivers,
  • changed display port cable,
  • stopped overclocks,
  • disabled windows HDR,
  • changed monitors (from 1080p 120hz to 1440p 144hz),
  • changed the port for my DP that I'm using on my GPU,
  • disabled freesync on the monitor.

It seems to be the most noticeable when I'm watching a video and everything around the video will go dark but the video will be normal. My second monitor (1080p 60hz) which is is unaffected is on HDMI, but it is a huge hassle to swap over and I don't see how that could be that problem, but I'll try HDMI when it's more convenient. I don't know what is actually the problem, but since I replaced my monitor and the cable, my only suspicion is the GPU. I also had some problems around windows HDR over exposing my screen when I tried to take screenshots which look like a similar problem, but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Nov 18, 2021
I have that by one game (FH5) if my game loads in goes slightly black and blacker, and i have more problems like blackscreens, games crashing.

I have RTX 3070 and a good PSU and already changed my RAM and stuff..
Tried alot off stuff still not solved.

ChennyBoi

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
So it turns out that hardware acceleration in chrome was the culprit for me (or so it seems). I'm not sure why but I found this thread which suggested that turning that off helped them and it seems to have helped me too, after turning it off I haven't noticed any dimming or flickers. I'll update this post if I find out why this fixed it or how to turn that setting on without running into the problem.