Random shut downs/freezing with downloading/playing games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yokazuma0

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
My computer just started doing this randomly....the first time it had shut down, it did it instantly as if i had lost power. So my first suspect is my PSU which is a 450w and all im running on it is a gtx 550 ti...so it could be faulty. But, whats getting me is the freezing/downloading problem. I'm using an outdated wireless adapter and some times when i download i get a blue screen saying something along the lines of "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I'm trying to download a game on steam and it seems like its fine during lower MB/S but once it hits about 3MB it shuts down. So, i need to know if anyone knows what this problem is...or what i need to buy? please help!

What i have done to try and fix it: Complete reformat of windows 8 and installation of windows updates.

P.s.- I've been downloading and playing games just fine for years...this was out of no where. Could this possibly be a hard drive problem? they're my oldest hardware in my computer.

16kotgn.png

2lw91ly.png

Solution
I bought my SSD during a Newegg Black Friday deal.

micro SATA / mSATA / uSATA / µSATA uses the Mini-PCIe interface instead of the standard size SATA data and power connectors. The micro SATA drives are also much smaller and they don't have to be encased in a shell/case.
20-147-315-Z03

Some motherboards have an mSATA (i.e. Mini-PCIe interface) slot that supports SSD-based technologies like Intel Smart Response and Intel Rapid Start claiming to enhance the PC’s performance with better overall desktop responsiveness, faster boot times and faster system resume times.

Consumer desktop SSDs use keyed standard size SATA data and power connectors...

yokazuma0

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Ok, so i reinstalled windows. Got sick of it. It's gone...now i have my old adapter plugged in and so far i keep getting blue screens during downloads. I'm still in the middle of updating my service packs and updates. I might look into an internal antenna wifi or drill through to the first floor of the house with a wire. Adapters are my worst experience with computers so far. Here's the minidump file of the bsod i just encountered https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfhsqbkb1m8f7zw/022614-30560-01.dmp