Question Random shutdowns and restart loops once or twice every week. Is it my PSU or my mobo?

Oct 18, 2023
So, I have been having these problems for a few weeks now
My PC usually works fine for weeks even for longer durations and then randomly once or twice every week, it shuts down within 5-10 minutes of using and then after I try to press the power button, nothing happens. I, then turn off the switch on the wall socket and turn it on again or I try then screwdriver method on the motherboard to jump start, and both the methods work to turn the PC on. And then it restarts after every 2-5 minutes for 3 or 4 times before working normally again for a few days.
Sometimes it shuts down multiple times before it starts restarting 3 or 4 times and I just can't seem to find what's causing it
It has nothing to do with the load or the temperature because the shutdown-restart loop is very random and usually occurs within the first few minutes of starting the computer on some days and after the loop ends, the system runs for 10-12 hours everyday with continuous usage

Things I have tried so far :
  • Updating the drivers
  • Fresh windows installation
  • Testing the RAM sticks (one at a time) with MemTest5
  • Cleaning the PSU (It had a lot of dust bunnies)
  • CPU Test on prime95
  • OCCT Power test for 5 minutes
This is the error I get after every shutdown and restart
-System

-Provider
[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid]{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID41

Version9

Level1

Task63

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000400000000002

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime]2023-11-08T11:17:12.5622378Z

EventRecordID7621

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID]4
[ ThreadID]8

ChannelSystem

ComputerAwpertunist-PC

-Security
[ UserID]S-1-5-18

-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint16

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn3

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId10

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV210

LongPowerButtonPressDetectedfalse

LidReliabilityfalse

InputSuppressionState0

PowerButtonSuppressionState0

LidState3

My Computer specs :​

Intel i5-8600K
Aorus Z370 Ultra gaming 2.0
Corsair CX650 PSU
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 16 GB DDR4
Nvidia 1060 6 GB

How do I confirm if it's the PSU or the mobo that's causing this?
It is time sensitive and I want to get the faulty part replaced asap because of work

Oct 18, 2023
Sounds like an issue with power (PSU, power plan/config, resume from sleep, etc.,). Are there any errors in the application or system logs before the reboot?
It is a hardware problem for sure. The OS is fresh and there are no errors in the logs other than your generic error that you get on every unexpected shutdown

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Do you have another PSU to test with? Wondering if somehow the PSU protection is tripping. It would be great if PSUs had a little display (LED / seven segment) on them to indicate why they were shut-down.

Chatted with Corsair online (they have a chat support feature). He said reach out to them, there are no active recalls on the CX-650 but he said;

Have you friend please reach out to us so we can assist them with their Power Supply

...worth a shot

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023
Do you have another PSU to test with? Wondering if somehow the PSU protection is tripping. It would be great if PSUs had a little display (LED / seven segment) on them to indicate why they were shut-down.
Actually, I do have another PSU that I can borrow from my brother's PC but I don't know for how long should I test it to be sure? The shutdown-restart is very random and unpredictable. It hasn't happened again since I posted (touch wood)
The one I use is a Corsair CX650 and the other one is a Gigabyte 550W (I don't know the model)