[SOLVED] Random Sleeping Issue

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
Hello, I recently began having an issue where my monitor would not detect a signal, and I would have to restart my PC. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and the AMD Radeon Software. I checked my windows power settings, and everything is set to never. I changed the cable that I plug into my graphics card. I tried switching the PCI-e slot that I plug it into. But, every few hours while into gaming, my GPU crashes and my video turns off. It does not have to due with high temps, I monitored that as a cause. I un-overclocked my GPU, didn't work.

I have only played rocket league and no other game, so that could be it? Maybe I could go borderless instead of fullscreen. I'll try another game and see if the issue persists. It seems that it has never happened outside of Rocket League, only happens when I'm about a hour into it. The issue only happened at random just 2 days ago. I tried updating my AMD Radeon Software, didn't work. I'm not sure what the fix is here. Faulty GPU or power supply?

Spec list:

Windows 10 64-bit
AMD Radeon 5600XT
Intel Core i5-9600KF (Overclocked to 4.8Ghz)
32GB 2666Mhz RAM
Corsair Gold 750w Power Supply
MSI Z-390 Gaming Plus MOBO
1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
1x 500GB SSD

Update: Same thing just happened, but this time a blue screen popped up and said "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

Last edited:
Solution
I think I may have found the solution. I use and SSD and an HDD. There is an option in windows power settings that I didn't see that puts the hard drive to sleep after a period of inactivity. it was at 15 minutes. No crash yet. Was this all?

Edit: Nevermind, this did not fix it. I have no idea what is causing this at this point. I am tempted to do a hard reset.
Edit 2: I resolved the issue. Unoverclocked my CPU and bam, no more crashing. Whole time I thought it was either GPU, PSU, RAM, or monitor. I am pretty sure I set the voltage a little too low to handle my overclock.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any related error codes, warnings, or informational events.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Double check by sight and feel that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
I have one critical event in Reliability that states "Windows was not shut down properly".

Other than that I double checked cords and cleaned out dust. I also updated BIOS, uninstalled any programs that I downloaded soon before the issue, and I don't know if it would affect it or not, but I switched where I plug my monitor into the GPU to a different slot. I also ran CCleaner. I will update if it occurs again.

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
I think I may have found the solution. I use and SSD and an HDD. There is an option in windows power settings that I didn't see that puts the hard drive to sleep after a period of inactivity. it was at 15 minutes. No crash yet. Was this all?

Edit: Nevermind, this did not fix it. I have no idea what is causing this at this point. I am tempted to do a hard reset.
Edit 2: I resolved the issue. Unoverclocked my CPU and bam, no more crashing. Whole time I thought it was either GPU, PSU, RAM, or monitor. I am pretty sure I set the voltage a little too low to handle my overclock.

Last edited:
Solution