[SOLVED] Random temperature spikes after applying new thermal paste

Dec 12, 2021
After applying new thermal paste my cpu temps went up instead of down, it was my first time doing it, so I probably did something wrong. i made sure that all the screws on the cooler were as tight as possible, and I used a decent amount of thermal paste.

i am using a hp pavilion tg01- 0023w, it went from 60 - 70 to 80+

Solution
Are you using the standard Intel cooler as found on the typical pre-built PC?

If so, those coolers are notoriously deceptive. You think you mounted the cooler correctly but you didn't really. It will look fine, but a corner won't be latched down properly.

Solution can be to remove motherboard from the case when mounting the cooler so you can actually look at the back side of the motherboard to confirm the cooler is properly mounted.

A major pain and one of the reasons people recommend ditching the Intel cooler entirely.
Are you using the standard Intel cooler as found on the typical pre-built PC?

If so, those coolers are notoriously deceptive. You think you mounted the cooler correctly but you didn't really. It will look fine, but a corner won't be latched down properly.

Solution can be to remove motherboard from the case when mounting the cooler so you can actually look at the back side of the motherboard to confirm the cooler is properly mounted.

A major pain and one of the reasons people recommend ditching the Intel cooler entirely.

Solution