Rant: Corsair won't honour it's warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I now have Corsair refusing to honour their warranty.
I had/have 2 Corsair Quad Channel memory kits in a HEDT server system (With a Corsair 900D case, with extra HDD cages, a Corsair HX750i Power Supply, and a Corsair AIO watercooler). 1 stick went bad, and they said I had to send in the whole kit, 4 sticks, for replacement. I sent it back, and specifically kept saying it's for a quad channel system. They refuse, absolutely, to send back a quad channel kit. Saying they no longer make 4GB sticks, so sending me a dual channel 2x8GB kit. I keep telling them that does me no good, that it's incompatible with my system. It is a completely different platform, and absolutely useless to me. Even their escalations department are telling me, "The memory kit we shipped out is a comparable upgrade, with the same overall capacity, performance, and compatibility." Different platform, you idiots!!!
I'm not expecting to get a matching 3200 4x4GB Quad Channel kit. But companies are expected to replace "like or better" for warranty.
And on top of all that, they also made it all a big deal, like they are doing me this huge favour, saying repeatedly that they are doing this "as a one time courtesy"

EDIT: I just thought of another good example of this difference since people are thinking that them sending 2x8GB is still comparable to quad channel. If I had 2x4GB, dual channel kit, would it be okay for them to send me a single 8GB since it's the same amount, losing my dual channel capabilities?

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
if you have 2 quad channel kit. there would be 8 sticks. not 4
sound like you have 2 dual channel kit.
I had two quad channel kits in an X99 motherboard. 8 x 4GB, 32GB total. One stick went bad. I tested each stick, found out which one it was, started the RMA process. They told me I had to send back the whole quad channel kit, 4 sticks. That would leave me with the second quad channel kit, 4 sticks, 16GB total. My system is still running the 4x4GB, 16GB total. They sent back a dual channel kit, 2x8GB. If I use it, I either lose my quad channel setup, or don't use it and lose my 32GB total.
This is running a high end multimedia server with two enterprise LSI RAID cards, and 14 enterprise HDDs.
I do get that there are some programs that won't notice a difference between dual channel and quad channel. But there are programs that do. I bought a quad channel kit, for a HEDT Quad channel system. I sent back a quad channel kit. I should get back a quad channel kit.
If you buy an AWD SUV, most times you wouldn't know the difference between AWD or FWD in every day use. But if you had to send back your AWD SUV, and the company tries to give you back a FWD SUV instead, you're going to be pissed.

I had two quad channel kits in an X99 motherboard. 8 x 4GB, 32GB total. One stick went bad. I tested each stick, found out which one it was, started the RMA process. They told me I had to send back the whole quad channel kit, 4 sticks. That would leave me with the second quad channel kit, 4 sticks, 16GB total. My system is still running the 4x4GB, 16GB total. They sent back a dual channel kit, 2x8GB. If I use it, I either lose my quad channel setup, or don't use it and lose my 32GB total.
This is running a high end multimedia server with two enterprise LSI RAID cards, and 14 enterprise HDDs.
I do get that there are some programs that won't notice a difference between dual channel and quad channel. But there are programs that do. I bought a quad channel kit, for a HEDT Quad channel system. I sent back a quad channel kit. I should get back a quad channel kit.
If you buy an AWD SUV, most times you wouldn't know the difference between AWD or FWD in every day use. But if you had to send back your AWD SUV, and the company tries to give you back a FWD SUV instead, you're going to be pissed.
Is it because they've discontinued that particular kit? Like, is it still available to buy from corsair directly?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Is it because they've discontinued that particular kit? Like, is it still available to buy from corsair directly?
they don't make 4GB sticks any more. That's why they are insisting that their 2x8GB is comparable. But warranty terms specify "like or better than". I sent back a quad channel kit. I am running a quad channel system, with existing quad channel kit installed. Sending me a dual channel kit is useless.

they don't make 4GB sticks any more. That's why they are insisting that their 2x8GB is comparable. But warranty terms specify "like or better than". I sent back a quad channel kit. I am running a quad channel system, with existing quad channel kit installed. Sending me a dual channel kit is useless.

I mean, the logistics of tracking down a 4GB stick kit after they stopped making them..
"like or better than" and what they gave you, would work for the majority of consumers. I think yours is just a special case, and as such, I think you're gonna have to hunt down a suitable replacement.
Otherwise, you'd have to call them and persuade them to hunt down an old box in some warehouse somewhere, assuming they even have them there.

kanewolf

Titan
Have you READ the warranty? My guess is they "reserve the right" to substitute an "equivalent" part. I agree that 2 DIMMs is not "equivalent" to 4 DIMMs. They probably reserve the right to substitute for parts that are no longer available.
You have very little recourse. They will argue that they ARE meeting they warranty obligations by providing 16GB of RAM.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I mean, the logistics of tracking down a 4GB stick kit after they stopped making them..
"like or better than" and what they gave you, would work for the majority of consumers. I think yours is just a special case, and as such, I think you're gonna have to hunt down a suitable replacement.
Otherwise, you'd have to call them and persuade them to hunt down an old box in some warehouse somewhere, assuming they even have them there.
yea, I agree. For most consumers and most situations it would be perfectly fine. But right from the very beginning, I said that this was in an X99 motherboard, and I had two matching Corsair Quad channel kits. I also put a note in the box with the returned RAM saying the exact same thing, and to contact me first before sending any replacement that would be different. When they received it, they said they were processing it, and again, I asked what they would be returning. They told me a dual channel kit, and acted like they were doing me this great big favour and that this was a "one time courtesy", Which started a back and forth of me saying that I am unable to use a dual channel kit.
What's really shameful is that I have so many Corsair products.
900D case, with extra HDD cages.
Carbide 540 Air case
HX750i PSU
HX850i PSU
HX1200i PSU (not one of the recalls)
3 different AIO water coolers
and other RAM in my systems.
The cheapest quad channel RAM on their site is over $400. But that's not needed either. They sent me back their cheapest dual channel kit they have, and that would be fine, just send two of them so I get to keep my quad channel capabilities.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Have you READ the warranty? My guess is they "reserve the right" to substitute an "equivalent" part. I agree that 2 DIMMs is not "equivalent" to 4 DIMMs. They probably reserve the right to substitute for parts that are no longer available.
You have very little recourse. They will argue that they ARE meeting they warranty obligations by providing 16GB of RAM.
yea, gotta love the fine print that lets these companies get away with BS like that. In their argument, they are saying that they are sending me 16GB at comparable speeds. But it's still incompatible with my system. And people don't spend the extra amount of money on HEDT systems like this only to use a dual channel kit, or only 16 PCIe lanes.

kanewolf

Titan
yea, gotta love the fine print that lets these companies get away with BS like that. In their argument, they are saying that they are sending me 16GB at comparable speeds. But it's still incompatible with my system. And people don't spend the extra amount of money on HEDT systems like this only to use a dual channel kit, or only 16 PCIe lanes.
It is technically not "incompatible" It is not optimum but it should be compatible. You don't HAVE to populate all 4 channels. You may have issues mixing 4 channel and 2 channel kits.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
It is technically not "incompatible" It is not optimum but it should be compatible. You don't HAVE to populate all 4 channels. You may have issues mixing 4 channel and 2 channel kits.
I also posted my rant on FB and my cousin, who's also in IT, made a good suggestion. Once I have the new kit, run benchmarks with my quad channel kit alone, and the dual channel kit alone. Take screenshots and note the difference in performance. Obviously the dual channel kit will not be as fast. Send them back to Corsair, pointing out that the kit they sent me is not actually comparable to the kit that I had sent in.

Your original purchase of two quad channel kits was a mistake.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Corsair was well within their rights to replace the kit you rma'd.
But, that is no guarantee that all of your separate kits are going to work.

By all rights, you should abandon the mix that you now have and replace it with a single 4 channel kit of the capacity you need.

kanewolf

Titan
Your original purchase of two quad channel kits was a mistake.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Corsair was well within their rights to replace the kit you rma'd.
But, that is no guarantee that all of your separate kits are going to work.

By all rights, you should abandon the mix that you now have and replace it with a single 4 channel kit of the capacity you need.
I think you are misinterpreting the OP. He had 8 DIMMs total (two 4 DIMM kits) in an X99 or similar motherboard. One DIMM failed so an entire 4 DIMM kit had to be RMA'ed. Now he has a 4 DIMM matched set (remaining) and a 2 DIMM set "replacement".

Running two matched 4 dimm kits is not the same as running a single 8 dimm matched kit.
The original purchase of 2 separate 4 dimm kits was a flaw.

But, I do agree that replacing a 4 stick kit with a two stick kit was not equivalent in a quad channel environment. Did Corsair know that this was for a X99 quad channel setup?

In terms of ram capacity, yes it equivalent.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Running two matched 4 dimm kits is not the same as running a single 8 dimm matched kit.
The original purchase of 2 separate 4 dimm kits was a flaw.

But, I do agree that replacing a 4 stick kit with a two stick kit was not equivalent in a quad channel environment. Did Corsair know that this was for a X99 quad channel setup?

In terms of ram capacity, yes it equivalent.
It's an X99 system, and my old gaming rig. The two quad channel kits have been in it, and working perfectly fine for years. Yes, they are two kits, but they are the same identical kits, purchased at the same time. So same SKU, parts, etc. Working for years. Every so often I'd start having crashes on my system. Ran Memtest, with all 8 sticks, and it failed. I then took all the sticks out and started testing them two at a time (2 x 4GB, 8GB, Dual Channel). When I found a set that failed, I then tested each of those one at a time and found the bad stick. I set up an RMA and I was told I would need to send the whole quad channel kit back, which I did. I told the person that this was in an X99 motherboard, running in quad channel, and was matched with another exact Corsair 4x4GB quad channel kit. When I sent back the sticks, I put a note inside the box saying the exact same thing, and asked to be contacted before sending anything back so I could determine compatibility. Basically, I saw this coming. When they received my RMA, they said they no longer have 4GB sticks in stock, and that it would be replaced with a 2x8GB, dual channel kit, and they made a big deal out of it, saying that this was a special, "one time exception". I told them that that would not work for me, that this is specifically in an X99 motherboard, that is currently running in quad channel. For a week we went back and forth. Me trying to insist that I have an X99 motherboard, that my system is running in a quad channel setup, that I bought a quad channel kit, that I sent in a quad channel kit, and that I expect a quad channel kit to be returned. They ignored me, insisting that what they were sending back, in their opinion, was considered the same performance and quantity, and would not even talk about my system being a quad channel system. I called to speak with a manager. The first guy that I talked to looked at the history and said he was unsure why they were sending back a dual channel kit and that he would get back to me. That never happened. I called back a couple of days later, asking for a manager again. I was told someone would get back to me. Yesterday I received an email from "Corsair's Escalations Manager" with:

Hello Stephen,

Our warehouse has shipped your replacement memory kit, however I understand that you are asking for an additional memory kit to have four modules. I must decline your request.

The memory kit we shipped out is a comparable upgrade, with the same overall capacity, performance, and compatibility.

Please note that our limited warranty does not guarantee any specific replacement models. This is a consumer grade memory kit, and if you are looking for specific guaranteed replacements for a server, you may want to check into enterprise support options and SLA's.
Eric
Corsair Escalations Manager

And still no one would remotely touch the aspect of my RAM and system specifically being a quad channel setup.
To me, though maybe exaggerated, it's much like buying an AWD SUV vs a FWD SUV. You send back an AWD SUV and they give you back a FWD SUV saying it's still basically the same performance.
I agree, for most people, a dual channel kit is fine. HEDT are rare. But people don't spend the extra cost of these systems to run dual channel, or only use 16PCIe lanes.

If anything, I should have been at least asked before hand, not have it forced on me even after I had made it perfectly clear that it was not going to be "compatible" with my setup. I either lose my quad channel capabilities, and the performance that goes with it, or my RAM capacity gets halved, from 32GB to 16GB.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
From Corsair's Warranty Terms page:

Obsolete or Discontinued Products

An obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced by the same product if it is available. If the same product is unavailable, Corsair will replace the obsolete or discontinued product with a product of similar function and capacity.
I'm really not sure why they are being so difficult about this. A Quad Channel kit will not have a similar function of a Dual Channel kit. I even ran AIDA64

dual channel:
dual-cachemem.png

quad channel:

quad-cachemem.png

I also posted my rant on FB and my cousin, who's also in IT, made a good suggestion. Once I have the new kit, run benchmarks with my quad channel kit alone, and the dual channel kit alone. Take screenshots and note the difference in performance. Obviously the dual channel kit will not be as fast. Send them back to Corsair, pointing out that the kit they sent me is not actually comparable to the kit that I had sent in.

Complaining won't change the fact they may not have that exact setup available. Or do you think they are just being mean to you on purpose and they have a box of that RAM they are saving for themselves and don't want to share?
From the email the manager sent someone may think you are asking for two more 8 gb sticks, which happens often with lower level support people. But the simple answer is that the just don't have the exact kit you bought years ago to send you so they sent you what they had of the same total RAM. It's not a failing of anything, they can't send you a non-existent product.

Your car analogy is more like you bought a new 2015 SUV and when it broke you are asking for that exact 2015 SUV in 2020 in replacement. Not matter how much you want it, they won't make a new 5 year model just for you.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Complaining won't change the fact they may not have that exact setup available. Or do you think they are just being mean to you on purpose and they have a box of that RAM they are saving for themselves and don't want to share?
From the email the manager sent someone may think you are asking for two more 8 gb sticks, which happens often with lower level support people. But the simple answer is that the just don't have the exact kit you bought years ago to send you so they sent you what they had of the same total RAM. It's not a failing of anything, they can't send you a non-existent product.

Your car analogy is more like you bought a new 2015 SUV and when it broke you are asking for that exact 2015 SUV in 2020 in replacement. Not matter how much you want it, they won't make a new 5 year model just for you.

There warranty states:

An obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced by the same product if it is available. If the same product is unavailable, Corsair will replace the obsolete or discontinued product with a product of similar function and capacity.

Similar function and capacity. While they may have sent me a product of similar capacity, it is not of similar function. A dual channel kit will never be of similar function of a quad channel kit. If that was true, then Intel and AMD would not have it implemented on their HEDT systems, and making people pay a very high premium. And Corsair, and many of the other RAM manufacturers would not sell dual channel kits, and quad channel kits.
In most situations, getting back 2x8GB sticks in replacement of 4x4GB sticks would be a nice upgrade. If that was for a standard desktop system that was running dual channel. But mine is an X99 motherboard. I paid a premium for the motherboard, and CPU, and have been running a quad channel system for many years now. Companies cannot 'downgrade' a component just because they do not have stock any more. And going from a quad channel system to a dual channel system is a downgrade.

There warranty states:

Similar function and capacity. While they may have sent me a product of similar capacity, it is not of similar function. A dual channel kit will never be of similar function of a quad channel kit. If that was true, then Intel and AMD would not have it implemented on their HEDT systems, and making people pay a very high premium. And Corsair, and many of the other RAM manufacturers would not sell dual channel kits, and quad channel kits.
In most situations, getting back 2x8GB sticks in replacement of 4x4GB sticks would be a nice upgrade. If that was for a standard desktop system that was running dual channel. But mine is an X99 motherboard. I paid a premium for the motherboard, and CPU, and have been running a quad channel system for many years now. Companies cannot 'downgrade' a component just because they do not have stock any more. And going from a quad channel system to a dual channel system is a downgrade.
semantics here, but I think "similar" can be defined in a number of ways here.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
semantics here, but I think "similar" can be defined in a number of ways here.
yea, possibly. But not performance in this particular situation.
I totally get that in most cases, going from 4x4GB to 2x8GB would be considered an upgrade. But not for someone that bought, and was running a quad channel setup. If there wasn't a difference between dual channel and quad channel, Intel and AMD wouldn't have them on their HEDT systems, and memory companies wouldn't be selling dual channel set and quad channel sets. I said from the very beginning, even before I sent the RAM back, and constantly since then, that I am specifically running a quad channel setup. That I have/had two sets of matching quad channel kits (8 sticks total, 8x4GB) in my system. I specifically bought a quad channel kit, for a quad channel system. If I use a dual channel kit, I lose performance.

There warranty states:

What we the customer thinks the company should do and what the company will do are not always the same. What do you think they should do here in your case? Go out and buy your same kit on the used market to send to you? You are expecting magic, a kid can cry for a week that their parents did not get them a unicorn for a birthday party but it still won't make one appear. It is "similar". Not identical. They checked into your request and sent you what they could. I have seen the opposite happen with items, people got a newer version of a video card because they could not replace it with the model they had.

Life is not perfect, sometimes you go to McDonalds and you get 4 pickles in your burger and sometimes 3, don't make a big deal out of a not so big deal just because you think it's personal and they need to serve you perfectly, save the energy for actual issues.

Was your kit even in warranty? Usually when they say they do a one time favor in a return it means they are doing for good service not because they are required. I returned a headset my son dumped in his room when it broke, it was a few months out of warranty when I found it, I explained what happened and they sent me a replacement with the same wording "as a one time exception".

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
What we the customer thinks the company should do and what the company will do are not always the same. What do you think they should do what here in your case? Go out and buy your same kit on the used market to send to you? It is "similar". Not identical. I have seen the opposite happen with items, people got a newer version of a video card because they could not replace it with a newer one.

Life is not perfect, sometimes you go to McDonalds and you get 4 pickles in your burger and sometimes 3. I would not want to be the person that drives 1 hr back to yell at the manager because I got 3.
again, I really don't think it's that complicated. I bought a quad channel memory kit. I sent back a quad channel memory kit. They have, and sell, quad channel memory kits. Their warranty says, "replace the obsolete or discontinued product with similar function and capacity". Similar FUNCTION. A dual channel kit does not have the same FUNCTION, or performance as that of a quad channel memory kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.