Rant: Corsair won't honour it's warranty

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I now have Corsair refusing to honour their warranty.
I had/have 2 Corsair Quad Channel memory kits in a HEDT server system (With a Corsair 900D case, with extra HDD cages, a Corsair HX750i Power Supply, and a Corsair AIO watercooler). 1 stick went bad, and they said I had to send in the whole kit, 4 sticks, for replacement. I sent it back, and specifically kept saying it's for a quad channel system. They refuse, absolutely, to send back a quad channel kit. Saying they no longer make 4GB sticks, so sending me a dual channel 2x8GB kit. I keep telling them that does me no good, that it's incompatible with my system. It is a completely different platform, and absolutely useless to me. Even their escalations department are telling me, "The memory kit we shipped out is a comparable upgrade, with the same overall capacity, performance, and compatibility." Different platform, you idiots!!!
I'm not expecting to get a matching 3200 4x4GB Quad Channel kit. But companies are expected to replace "like or better" for warranty.
And on top of all that, they also made it all a big deal, like they are doing me this huge favour, saying repeatedly that they are doing this "as a one time courtesy"

EDIT: I just thought of another good example of this difference since people are thinking that them sending 2x8GB is still comparable to quad channel. If I had 2x4GB, dual channel kit, would it be okay for them to send me a single 8GB since it's the same amount, losing my dual channel capabilities?

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You can stil run quadchannel, just put the two 8gb stick each in one channel and 2x4gb sticks in the other channels, called flex mode. Whether they will run together is something you can at least test ("if i'm not mistaken" has more to do with this).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-faq,4154.html
page 7

There are btw no real quadchannel or dualchannel sets, saying that has only to do with the amount of sticks in a kit, but if working together could two kits of 2 sticks also run quadchannel.

One other thing, can see if Corsair can take the other 4x4kit back as well and replace with 2x8 so they are the same.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
You can stil run quadchannel, just put the two 8gb stick each in one channel and 2x4gb sticks in the other channels, called flex mode. Whether they will run together is something you can at least test ("if i'm not mistaken" has more to do with this).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-faq,4154.html
page 7

There are btw no real quadchannel or dualchannel sets, saying that has only to do with the amount of sticks in a kit, but if working together could two kits of 2 sticks also run quadchannel.

One other thing, can see if Corsair can take the other 4x4kit back as well and replace with 2x8 so they are the same.
I never heard of Flex Mode, I'll have to check it out later on.
Corsair, on the other hand, is actually purposely trying to go out of their way to be difficult now instead of trying to go for an easy solution and trying for good customer service. Even to the point of them paying/losing more money than to admit I'm right and make a customer happy.

"
Hello Stephen,

This is a consumer grade product intended for use with personal computers, and is not supported or recommend for user on servers. We strongly urge enterprise grade components and an enterprise SLA for a server environment.

I see you purchased this on Dec 28th 2015. This product has since been discontinued, and is no longer available to send out as a replacement unit. The memory kit we sent out to you is a comparable or better memory kit. Corsair considers this RMA complete, and the terms of limited warranty fulfilled.

However, because this memory kit is not acceptable to you I can make an exception, and set up a return for refund.

I will make a new RMA for you. Please send back the memory kit, and once received we will refund you for $199.98 CAD (or approx $156 USD at today's exchange rates).

We can process a refund by PayPal, paper check, or wire transfer. Please let me know your preferences and I will arrange for the details.
Eric
Corsair Escalations Manager
"
The dual channel kit that they sent me has been fluctuating in price since they sent that. But at the time I got that email, I checked online and it was $95CAN. At the beginning when I kept insisting that I needed a quad channel kit, and they refused to send a quad channel kit, and forced the dual channel kit on me, shipping it after 4 days of me constantly saying I didn't want it, I said fine, then just send a second kit so I have my quad channel capabilities. The one manager that I talked to on the phone (different guy than this guy, Eric), even he was confused at why a quad channel kit wasn't sent, especially when I kept saying I have an X99 motherboard and need a quad channel kit returned. I suggested just sending a second kit. He said it sounded like a good idea to him, he'd run it up the line. That was obviously shot down.
So, if the kit was going for $95CAN, two would be $190CAN, plus tax. It is obviously MUCH cheaper for Corsair. They have to make a profit after all, and so does NewEgg.ca. But instead of just doing that, and making things incredibly simple, and the cost being negligible, they want me to return the RAM they sent me (at first telling me at MY expense, even though I insisted many times I did not want it shipped to me. Then later, sort of implying they MIGHT pay for shipping, though he was really vague about it and I could just be reading it wrong). And then they'd refund me $200CAN. Causing a LOT of hassle, a LOT of extra, needless work, and costing Corsair more money than if they just sent the second kit to begin with.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
But therein lies the issue. Corsair no longer manufacturers a quad channel kit. It has socks of dual channel kits. It's no longer manufacturing that old ram on an individual basis. So it cannot test for compatibility. 2 kits, even identical, is no guarantee of compatibility. So how many kits must they send before you get 2x that work? 50? 100? 1000?

They do not have a kit to send for quad channel that works as intended. They sent the next best thing they could.

I read this entire post, and have come to the conclusion that you are misunderstanding everything, based on misinformation somewhere. You yell about it being the wrong platform, so won't work. This is wrong entirely.

Ram is ram. It's ordered by Rank. You get single or dual Rank, depending on how the chips are setup on the pcb. That's it. Channels is Motherboard. Nothing whatsoever to do with Ram. Channels is how the Motherboard is setup. Ram is only single, flex, dual or quad depending on Where you put the sticks in the motherboard, there's no such thing as single or dual or quad channel ram.

A quad channel KIT is just 4 sticks of ram tested by the factory to be compatible. Same with a dual channel KIT. Compatibility. Got nothing to do with platform or channels, just compatibility.

The ram Corsair sent will work just fine on x99 platform. Will work in a dual channel capacity, since there's only 2 sticks. Could just as easily work in single channel if you put them in the wrong slots.

Corsair doesn't have 4x guaranteed compatible sticks. So they sent 2x guaranteed compatible sticks of the same speed, same or better timings, same size.

The RAM is equitable. How you set it up in your pc is on you, not them. If you had a need for quad channel for server use or such, they even recommended you look into that, but for pc equivalent equipment, the ram they sent is equitable to what you had.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
But therein lies the issue. Corsair no longer manufacturers a quad channel kit. It has socks of dual channel kits. It's no longer manufacturing that old ram on an individual basis. So it cannot test for compatibility. 2 kits, even identical, is no guarantee of compatibility. So how many kits must they send before you get 2x that work? 50? 100? 1000?

They do not have a kit to send for quad channel that works as intended. They sent the next best thing they could.
I don't get why people keep saying that. If I go to Corsair's website, I still find quad channel memory kits advertised. Same with many stores. As for not being "compatible", I've never once ever heard of two same series kits not being compatible with each other. They change their whole part number if they make any changes to their RAM, unlike a lot of manufacturers that have been screwing around with storage devices. They even change the part number according to colour. Saying their may be a compatibility issue would be like saying the same thing with dual channel RAM and that if someone buys two dual channel kits to get 32GB, that they run the risk of them not being compatible either. And there are TONNES of forum posts all over the internet where people ask if they can do that with different brand kits with different timings, etc. People just say you need to tinker around with the timings and stuff at most. But an XMP profile in the same identical kits should be identical, no tweaking needed. I have been building systems for myself, friends, family, and companies, including IBM. I was in promotional marketing with Apple Canada when the very first iMacs came out, which was the first time they used regular PC RAM in them, and I was showing BestBuy and FutureShop that they could put in the cheaper PC RAM into these systems instead of paying the premium for the exact same RAM that was certified by Apple. Never once, in my entire life, have I ran into a compatibility problem like that, especially from RAM in identical kits.
And, as I said, they DO have quad channel kits. At the beginning they offered me a quad channel kit, but only 2600 (might have been 2666. I have/had 3200). They refused to send me anything greater because it was faster than what I had. So, they were willing to downgrade me, but refused to upgrade me.

edit: That also seems rather contradictory to your other statement of there not being any actual quad channel kits or dual channel kits, just the amount of sticks of RAM in a kit. So, again, that kind of points to a quad channel kit being the same as two dual channel kits. So long as the part number is the same on all sticks, then it's all the same components - PCB, controller, memory modules, dualsided vs single sided, etc.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

I read this entire post, and have come to the conclusion that you are misunderstanding everything, based on misinformation somewhere. You yell about it being the wrong platform, so won't work. This is wrong entirely.

Ram is ram. It's ordered by Rank. You get single or dual Rank, depending on how the chips are setup on the pcb. That's it. Channels is Motherboard. Nothing whatsoever to do with Ram. Channels is how the Motherboard is setup. Ram is only single, flex, dual or quad depending on Where you put the sticks in the motherboard, there's no such thing as single or dual or quad channel ram.

A quad channel KIT is just 4 sticks of ram tested by the factory to be compatible. Same with a dual channel KIT. Compatibility. Got nothing to do with platform or channels, just compatibility.

The ram Corsair sent will work just fine on x99 platform. Will work in a dual channel capacity, since there's only 2 sticks. Could just as easily work in single channel if you put them in the wrong slots.

Corsair doesn't have 4x guaranteed compatible sticks. So they sent 2x guaranteed compatible sticks of the same speed, same or better timings, same size.

The RAM is equitable. How you set it up in your pc is on you, not them. If you had a need for quad channel for server use or such, they even recommended you look into that, but for pc equivalent equipment, the ram they sent is equitable to what you had.
I saw you updated your post, so I can add to that.
I really do not understand why you keep insisting that Corsair does not have any more quad channel kits any more. You just have to go to their website and see for yourself that they do. And that does not even include the quad channel kits they keep in reserve for warranty. And, yes, companies keep stock in reserve for warranty. I may be retired, but I worked in the industry for 15 years, including Apple Canada and IBM. I still have friends at MSI and Asus.
I also don't get where you keep going on about "compatible sticks". I've already explained that.
As for the motherboard being the thing that decides if it is dual channel or quad channel. That is incorrect. The memory controller is on the CPU, and has been for some time now. No Intel or AMD mainstream CPUs support quad channel, no matter what motherboard you use. For the longest time, only Z series boards for Intel would even support XMP profiles. If you put DDR3200 RAM into an H or B series motherboard, you were limited to the base supported profile by Intel, ie, 2133, 2400, etc. Only Intel and AMD HEDT (high end desk top) CPUs support quad channel. These are premium products, supporting quad channel, higher amounts of memory total, and many more PCIe lanes (generally 40+ vs only 16 for desktop units).
Corsair still has, and sells quad channel memory kits.
In many cases, for a mainstream desktop system, going from 4x4GB RAM to 2x8GB, when it is only able to perform with dual channel mode, that would be considered an upgrade. Going from a quad channel kit to a dual channel kit is a performance decrease. This was shown in the pictures I provided.
Yes, a dual channel memory kit will work on a board that supports quad channel. But it is a performance decrease. These things are much more prevalent now days than when the X99 Series first came out. With many more programs, and even Windows offering much better support for multi-threading, there is a large difference between RAM now.
RAM being equatable. While it may be a matter of how I set up my computer, I specifically paid a premium and bought a HEDT system. That's paying a premium on a CPU that is more than twice the cost of a regular desktop CPU. A HEDT motherboard, again being premium and costing much more than the regular desktop motherboard. And I specifically bought TWO, again, that is TWO quad channel memory kits. A total of 8 sticks of RAM (same part #, still no compatibility issues. And there never would be, never will be if you buy two of the same kits). I paid a premium for all of these things. I sent back a quad channel memory kit. A dual channel memory kit will NOT offer the same performance as a quad channel memory kit (or two matching, dual channel memory kits if you really want to nitpick). I expect a quad channel memory kit to be sent back. Any dual channel memory kit will be a downgrade. Corsair has quad channel memory kits. They are on their website, and they told me they have them. I thought I was being nice in offering to take two matching dual channel kits since that was a more inexpensive option. But if I specifically bought a quad channel kit, and their warranty specifically says discontinued or obsolete products are to be replaced with "a product of similar function and capacity", then I should be able to insist on a quad channel kit. A dual channel kit will not be of "similar function and capacity" as a quad channel kit. They do not function, or perform the same.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Might be good to take the money, sell the kit you have in the pc now and get some matching sticks in that pc.
possibly. But it shows that they are purposely going out of their way to be difficult. They sent me RAM when I kept repeatedly telling them I didn't want it, and now telling me that I have to return it. At first telling me that I had to be the one to pay to return it, too. And I'm in Canada, near Toronto, so shipping isn't cheap. I tried to work with them and suggest that they just send another dual channel kit like they already sent me. I'd have my quad channel capabilities then. And two of their dual channel kits that they sent me were going for the same price that they offered to refund me on NewEgg. NewEgg has a mark up to make money, Corsair has a mark up to make money. So the chips they sent me would be WAY cheaper option for them than offering to pay for shipping this back (if that's what they were doing), and offering me the $200 refund. Not to mention the hassle, and paperwork for refunding money. They'd rather spend more money, and more paperwork, than admit that a dual channel kit is not the same as a quad channel kit. That, plus the other things in the emails have shown they are going out of their way to be vindictive. And, yes, I can see many people chiming in, "why would Corsair be that petty and vindictive to a customer?". Well, I haven't been able to find out if they outsource their call center and support, and it's not hard to find a LOT of horror stories online about many of these outsourced companies, especially the ones in the tech industry (It literally took me more than 10 minutes to explain to a guy that my WIFI on my router was "That's What She SSID". After finally understanding, he said he didn't know SSIDs could be more than 2 words. I have the call recorded, too)
They never did say they would cover the shipping, but I got this last:

Hello Stephen,

The memory kit you purchased was manufactured 5 years ago, but has since been discontinued. We have largely stopped making 4gb memory modules in general, and have since moved on to 8gb and 16gb per module.

I understand your server requires specialized memory, but this memory kit was never intended to be used in a server, and we do not have any guaranteed continuance of production after all these years.

As we are not able to replace your item with the memory kit you are requesting, the only option left is to offer a refund.

We can process a refund by PayPal, paper check, or wire transfer. Please let me know your preferences and I will arrange for the details of the return for refund.
Eric
Corsair Escalations Manager

Which is also really annoying because that's been a few times that he's said my "server requires special memory". Even in other emails he was telling me that I sent back a consumer grade memory kit, and that I should be looking at enterprise support options and SLA's. I've repeatedly told him that it's an X99 motherboard and a Core i7 6850K. That doesn't even support ECC RAM, so I have no clue why he's talking about me having to look at that stuff. Nor did I ever once say I needed special RAM. From the beginning, I've only insisted on quad channel. I bought quad channel. I sent back quad channel. Corsair still sells quad channel. Corsair still has quad channel kits. Their warranty said for discontinued and obsolete products, "a product of similar function and capacity". Dual channel does not function the same as quad channel.
My rant and frustration aside, I believe it should still be simple. Quad channel purchased, quad channel sent in, quad channel needed, quad channel returned.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There are no dualchannel or quadchannel kits. they just mean the amount of sticks in there, two (as you call it) dualchannel kits can do quadchannel fine if playing well together.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
There are no dualchannel or quadchannel kits. they just mean the amount of sticks in there, two (as you call it) dualchannel kits can do quadchannel fine if playing well together.
exactly. So me asking them to send out another dual channel kit of the one they already sent me should have been no problem. Especially considering how cheap they are. But they refused. And it still comes down to...
I bought a quad channel memory kit, for a quad channel memory system (paying a large premium for all components)
I sent back a quad channel memory kit for warranty.
Corsair has quad channel memory kit still for sale, and still available, but I didn't insist on one of those, just 4 matching sticks of RAM.
I expect a quad channel memory kit (or 4 matching sticks of RAM) to be sent back. A dual channel kit, while it may be of the same capacity, it is not of the same performance.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
In your system, if the kits will play together, will it make no difference, as i explained will with the Flex Mode all channells contain 8gb. There is no difference between 1x8gb or 2x4gb in a single channel.
I haven't had a chance to test that yet.
The computer is my old gaming system and now running as a personal Plex server. It has a GTX 1060ti for encoding/decoding, two LSI enterprise SAS RAID cards, and 16 enterprise HDD. Also a WD Black 1TB m.2, so needless to say, all the PCIe lanes are needed. It's sitting in the cold room in the basement. I used to be in IT, but 'forced' retirement due to health problems. I don't move around very well, and 99% of the time I log in remotely to the server. While having a quad channel memory kit may be able to work for me, if what you are talking about works, it does not excuse the rest. If I bought, and paid a premium price for all this, and a quad channel kit, sent back a quad channel kit, Corsair is responsible to send back a quad channel kit (or 4 matching sticks). Them saying that they will offer me a refund of $200, after I send back the kit they sent me, specifically after I repeatedly said for three days NOT to send me, while just sending me a second kit to match kinda shows they are more interested in being difficult.
I repeatedly said I needed a quad channel memory kit. They refused to listen. I repeatedly told them NOT to send me that memory kit. They refused to listen, sent it anyway. I repeatedly told them what system I had, the CPU and motherboard, they refused to listen and told me that I was insisting that my "server" requires special components and that I should be looking at enterprise equipment. That I sent back consumer grade, and that's what they sent me. All the time refusing to acknowledge at any time that I was referring to quad channel memory. They said they will offer me a refund only after I send back the kit they sent me, that I repeatedly said I did not want, and that refund would be more than what it would cost them to just admit the quad channel part and send me another matching kit of what they sent me.
While it may sound like I'm being an ass, and I will happily admit that I am. I didn't start out that way with this situation. I literally own thousands of dollars in Corsair parts in my home. Cases, PSUs, AIOs, RAM, Keyboard, etc, etc. I agree that in most situations, going from a 4x4GB kit to a 2x8GB kit would be an upgrade. For a dual channel system. If I had a dual channel system, I'd be happy AF. But I have a quad channel system, and a dual channel kit is slower. When they started dismissing me, I got pissed off. When they ignored me and would not even talk about me owning a quad channel memory system, and sent me the RAM after I specifically said not to, I got more pissed off. A dual channel kit will not perform the same as a quad channel kit. I have a quad channel system. It is all extremely very simple and basic. What I bought, what I sent back, what I should receive in return. Their warranty terms cover discontinue or obsolete products. They may not make that specific kit, but they do still make quad channel kits. That's it. I bought quad channel. I sent back quad channel. They are required to send back quad channel. There's no fine print on their website, and Canada has really strict laws about what companies post online or advertise, and their practices. While Corsair may be in the US, if they are selling it within Canada, they have to abide by Canadian law.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I really don't understand the logic behind saying that they will refund me $200, only after I send back the RAM kit they sent me that I specifically said NOT to send me, when just sending me a second matching kit would be much cheaper, less work, and make a customer that has spent thousands of dollars on Corsair parts happy.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Not 4x4gb kits.
no, they don't make any 4GB kits. Their warranty still says "Corsair will replace the obsolete or discontinued product with a product of similar function and capacity." As I've said many times before, a dual channel kit is not, nor ever will be, or similar function and capacity. They may have sent the same capacity, but dual channel is not similar function, or performance.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You have 8 slots, put the 2x4gb in the two slots closest to the cpu left and right and 1x8gb in the farthest away slots, means the third slots will be empty, and you should still have 8gb per channel, only problem might be if the kits will not play together.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
You have 8 slots, put the 2x4gb in the two slots closest to the cpu left and right and 1x8gb in the farthest away slots, means the third slots will be empty, and you should still have 8gb per channel, only problem might be if the kits will not play together.
yea, I was wondering what slots I'd have to use for what you were talking about. I have the MSI X99S MPower board. I'm also having a bad day pain wise and just took another two oxicodone, making that 7 so far today. I'm trying to take it easy today because I'm back in the hospital tomorrow. Being slightly OCD can be a real pain (sometimes literally) because I really want to go downstairs and give your suggestion a try and see if it works. I'm just really not sure if I go down there, I'll be able to get back up.
I do know they are matching no problem though. The 8GB sticks have the same timings and all as the 4GB sticks, and they are all in the system for the past few days running in dual channel. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I populated them with the 8GB sticks on the outside, and the 4s in the next two slots, leaving insides empty.
I just ran AIDA64 remotely and it just showed me that it's saying it's quad channel memory, so what you suggested sort of worked. I say "sort of" because the performance is still off. Read speeds are the same, but they weren't that much different between dual channel and quad channel. Write speeds are doubled in quad channel from double, with Flex right in the middle of the difference. Copy speed isn't quite double going from dual channel to quad, dual channel being 63% of quad, Flex being 86%. These are rough, and single pass tests, so not 'biblical' or 'set it stone' results.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
yea, I was wondering what slots I'd have to use for what you were talking about. I have the MSI X99S MPower board. I'm also having a bad day pain wise and just took another two oxicodone, making that 7 so far today. I'm trying to take it easy today because I'm back in the hospital tomorrow. Being slightly OCD can be a real pain (sometimes literally) because I really want to go downstairs and give your suggestion a try and see if it works. I'm just really not sure if I go down there, I'll be able to get back up.
All in due time, take care of yourself first.

I do know they are matching no problem though. The 8GB sticks have the same timings and all as the 4GB sticks, and they are all in the system for the past few days running in dual channel. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I populated them with the 8GB sticks on the outside, and the 4s in the next two slots, leaving insides empty.
I just ran AIDA64 remotely and it just showed me that it's saying it's quad channel memory, so what you suggested sort of worked. I say "sort of" because the performance is still off.
With what you did are the ones in slots 3+4 together in one channel, means 8+4 makes 12, means 8 of it will run in the quad channel config and the remaining 4 wil run single channel. Put them in as i said and all channels should run with 8gb each and run full quadchannel. Think that way performance will be normal as well. Make sure enabled XMP for best performance as well.

If (by the manual, just looked at it) all three outer slots need to be filled first (can try my way first) , do 2x4gb in the outer most slots and the 1x8gb in the second slots from the cpu out. Still should give 8gb per channel.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
All in due time, take care of yourself first.

With what you did are the ones in slots 3+4 together in one channel, means 8+4 makes 12, means 8 of it will run in the quad channel config and the remaining 4 wil run single channel. Put them in as i said and all channels should run with 8gb each and run full quadchannel. Think that way performance will be normal as well. Make sure enabled XMP for best performance as well.
Interesting. I honestly never heard of flex mode, and that article says the tech has been there since 2004. I was in IT for many years, but I didn't say I knew everything, lol. I wonder why AIDA64 wouldn't make note of that since AIDA64 is kickass in getting and reporting info from your system, and the tech is old. One thing I did note was that the 4x4GB are Micron, and the 2x8GB are Samsung. Not sure the series, I'm trying to find my Thaiphoon.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If (by the manual, just looked at it) all three outer slots need to be filled first (can try my way first) , do 2x4gb in the outer most slots and the 1x8gb in the second slots from the cpu out. Still should give 8gb per channel.
Said this as well, added it, looked at the manual and why you wanted to use the outer slots first.

As long as the kits work together are you probably fine, can use memtest86 to see if they do function fine together. It's not 100% right, but it's a good tool. Can use Aida also of course.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Said this as well, added it, looked at the manual and why you wanted to use the outer slots first.

As long as the kits work together are you probably fine, can use memtest86 to see if they do function fine together. It's not 100% right, but it's a good tool. Can use Aida also of course.
bit of a brain fart going on - trying to Google info on this as well because I found something a bit shocking in Thaiphoon Burner, if I'm remembering right.
The 2x8GB set that Corsair just sent me, CPU-Z told me they are Samsung, and my 4x4GB are Micron. I opened up Thaiphoon and it's saying the 2x8GB are Samsung B-dies. Aren't these the ones that overclock like crazy? or am I mis-remembering and it's the D-dies?

Oh, btw, are you saying I populated the RAM right? or should I do it the way you suggested for quad channel?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
bit of a brain fart going on - trying to Google info on this as well because I found something a bit shocking in Thaiphoon Burner, if I'm remembering right.
The 2x8GB set that Corsair just sent me, CPU-Z told me they are Samsung, and my 4x4GB are Micron. I opened up Thaiphoon and it's saying the 2x8GB are Samsung B-dies. Aren't these the ones that overclock like crazy? or am I mis-remembering and it's the D-dies?
The B dies do great, but especialy with Ryzen. Wouldn't overclock since using different kits. Just would test XMP.

Oh, btw, are you saying I populated the RAM right? or should I do it the way you suggested for quad channel?
No you didn't do it right, from what i read did you put the 1x8gb in the outer most slots.

Again, if working by the manual put 2x4gb in the outer two slots (from the cpu out) and 1x8gb in the second slots from the cpu out, means the teo slots closest to the cpu will stay empty. Or try my way and put the 1x8gb in the outer most slots and 2x4gb in the two slots closest to the cpu.

Got to go to sleep, take care of yourself and i will only reply tomorrow in the evening again.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
The B dies do great, but especialy with Ryzen. Wouldn't overclock since using different kits. Just would test XMP.

yea, but if all CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, the kit they sent me are Samsung B-die, they are going for $105 a kit. That was up a bit from when I first looked, but I also didn't know they were B-dies. If that's the case, that's even more reason to fight for another matching pair for my quad channel, lol. I definitely can't overclock them as they are now.

Edit: Crap, just looked them up online. That kit is NOT B-die exclusives. Corsair sometimes use Hynix for the same kits.
keep ordering them off of Amazon. Test them and if they aren't Samsung B-die, send them back, lol.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

With that cas latency does it suprise me that they would be Samsung B die. Can you also check with cpu-z or hwinfo?
Back from the hospital. Turns out the so called "anxiety attacks" that doctors kept saying I was having may actually be seizures. Fun stuff. Not brought on by flashing lights or anything like that. Never had a problem while gaming or on the PC. So, more doctors, more tests.
what was it you were saying to check? Both CPU-Z and HWinfo show that it's Samsung, like Thaiphoon, but they don't know what die it is. Only Thaiphoon shows that, so far as I know. All the timings show as the same as well. All were 3200 CAS16. I didn't have to change anything in the BIOS for all sticks to work with each other. Just clicked on XMP, double checked the voltages changed to 1.35 (part of the XMP profile), and booted up no problem.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I feel for you. I do hope they will find something for you that can heal you, without the excessive amounts of painkillers.

Have to say you share this with anyone that might read this thread. So keep an eye on what you want to share with the rest of the world.

Did you make the changes to the layout of the ram sticks? Regarding this,

I didn't have to change anything in the BIOS for all sticks to work with each other. Just clicked on XMP, double checked the voltages changed to 1.35 (part of the XMP profile), and booted up no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.