Rant: Corsair won't honour it's warranty

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I now have Corsair refusing to honour their warranty.
I had/have 2 Corsair Quad Channel memory kits in a HEDT server system (With a Corsair 900D case, with extra HDD cages, a Corsair HX750i Power Supply, and a Corsair AIO watercooler). 1 stick went bad, and they said I had to send in the whole kit, 4 sticks, for replacement. I sent it back, and specifically kept saying it's for a quad channel system. They refuse, absolutely, to send back a quad channel kit. Saying they no longer make 4GB sticks, so sending me a dual channel 2x8GB kit. I keep telling them that does me no good, that it's incompatible with my system. It is a completely different platform, and absolutely useless to me. Even their escalations department are telling me, "The memory kit we shipped out is a comparable upgrade, with the same overall capacity, performance, and compatibility." Different platform, you idiots!!!
I'm not expecting to get a matching 3200 4x4GB Quad Channel kit. But companies are expected to replace "like or better" for warranty.
And on top of all that, they also made it all a big deal, like they are doing me this huge favour, saying repeatedly that they are doing this "as a one time courtesy"

EDIT: I just thought of another good example of this difference since people are thinking that them sending 2x8GB is still comparable to quad channel. If I had 2x4GB, dual channel kit, would it be okay for them to send me a single 8GB since it's the same amount, losing my dual channel capabilities?

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I feel for you. I do hope they will find something for you that can heal you, without the excessive amounts of painkillers.

Have to say you share this with anyone that might read this thread. So keep an eye on what you want to share with the rest of the world.

Did you make the changes to the layout of the ram sticks? Regarding this,
yea, I've gotten a tough skin with dealing with strangers on the internet. If a stranger has something negative to say about me based on me having a disability, that shows more about their nature than mine. I've also learned that even the most empathetic person would never be able to truly understand another person's thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc, because they are based on that person's whole life experiences. I think it is fantastic for people to be able to think differently, have different ideas, etc. It's the only way we've got all this technology. We wouldn't even have fire, or the wheel if there wasn't someone that thought differently. And I love a good debate, so long as it's civil. I think I'm pretty smart on some things. But I definitely don't know everything. You telling me about Flex memory for instance. I didn't know about it, and I was open to learning about it, and trying it. It does work, but I doubt it's as fast as a properly matched set. Nor do I think what Corsair did is right, and I found another, much more relevant example. Someone owning a dual channel kit, 2x4GB, and sending them back, and Corsair only sending back a single 8GB stick, saying it still the same amount, and timings match. But realistically, the person would be running single channel, and that would be a performance hit. The quad channel kit problem is the same thing, but now you're also talking about it being a high end consumer, or Pro-sumer. Someone that has paid top dollar that is now being downgraded.

Not sure about what you mean about making changes to the layout. I had the 4 sticks running while waiting for the return in the 2nd and 4th slots going away from the CPU, quad channel. When I got the 2x8GB sticks, I put them in the 4th slot away, dual channel, and tested. Then the 8GB in the same, and the 4GB in 2nd and 3rd slots. No changes in the BIOS at any time. It did say that the RAM had changed every time I did that, and I went into the BIOS to make sure XMP was on, and voltage was 1.35, but that's it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
When I got the 2x8GB sticks, I put them in the 4th slot away, dual channel, and tested
Then the 8GB in the same, and the 4GB in 2nd and 3rd slots.
Lay out is this. bottom sentence means not real quadchannel. 8+4 in one channel. So switch 2x4in the 4th+3rd slots from the cpu out and the 8gb sticks in the 2nd slot from the cpu out, should give real quadchannel, test see if you get your speeds like that, of course xmp enabled.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Lay out is this. bottom sentence means not real quadchannel. 8+4 in one channel. So switch 2x4in the 4th+3rd slots from the cpu out and the 8gb sticks in the 2nd slot from the cpu out, should give real quadchannel, test see if you get your speeds like that, of course xmp enabled.
ah, I get what you're saying. Yea, that makes sense. The 8s furthest, the 4s closest. 3rd slot empty.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
ah, I get what you're saying. Yea, that makes sense. The 8s furthest, the 4s closest. 3rd slot empty.
Yes that way should you have 8gb in all four channels.

Or like this if motherboard really necessary needs slots filled from outside towards cpu.
So switch 2x4in the 4th+3rd slots from the cpu out and the 8gb sticks in the 2nd slot from the cpu out, should give real quadchannel, test see if you get your speeds like that, of course xmp enabled.
Means closest to cpu would be empty.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Yes that way should you have 8gb in all four channels.

Or like this if motherboard really necessary needs slots filled from outside towards cpu.

Means closest to cpu would be empty.
that's the way I had it before. Closest to CPU were empty, the 4s in slot 2 and 3 going out, 8s in the last.

I switched it to the four 4s in slots 1 and 2, and the 8s in the last, and tested it, and now it's running full speed, quad channel. The benchmarks are the same in this configuration as just the 4x4GB in quad.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I switched it to the four 4s in slots 1 and 2, and the 8s in the last, and tested it, and now it's running full speed, quad channel. The benchmarks are the same in this configuration as just the 4x4GB in quad.
That's fine, good to hear you have your speed back! And the full 32gb of course.

that's the way I had it before. Closest to CPU were empty, the 4s in slot 2 and 3 going out, 8s in the last.
That is the other way round as i described, i meant 8gb in slot 2 as you call it and the 4gb's in 3+4 out, but since the above "fine" works is there no reason to switch.

Reactions: mac_angel
Status
Not open for further replies.