Question Rapid BSODs on cold boot that don't happen anymore after computer has been on awhile

Emerada

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
I recently built a brand new computer. Nothing extremely special, more of a budget gaming PC upgrade after the old one. Here is everything I got.
Asrock Z790 PG Lightning Motherboard
Intel i5-13400 CPU
CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 5200MHz CL40 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Black (CMK32GX5M2B5200C40)
Corsair CX-M Series, CX750M, Modular Power Supply, 80 Plus Bronze, Black
WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s - WDS200T3X0E
BitFenix Tracery EATX (272mm) High Airflow Mesh PC Gaming Case Black (not sure that matters)
And a CPU water cooler ID-COOLING DASHFLOW 360 Basic Black Liquid Cooler.

GPU is GeForce RTX 3060 (by Zotack), and I have two ONN monitors connected to it (one is DVI to HDMI and one is normal HDMI cable as the card only had the one HDMI port and multiple DVI ports). I'm using a copy of Windows 10.

Now, after putting it together (admittedly, the first time I did, one of the ram sticks was in the wrong slot. I had it in A1 and A2 instead of A2 and B2, that was rectified but I don't think it was the cause of the problem) and installing Windows, everything seems fine. I sat on it for hours reloading backups from my backup drives and downloading the appropriate games I want. Now when I FIRST installed windows, I didn't format the SSD, it sorta just let me, so I thought nothing of it. However, after being off for several hours, and booting up? I start running into BSODs. kernal_security_failure, kmode_exception, irql_not_less_or_equal, system_service_exception, and a few others. They seem random on WHICH one is doing it but cycle through that specific list (and don't always give more info, though recenly one said clipsp.sys). After awhile I got tired of it and tried a FRESH install of windows to the SSD. Start over from scratch.
It was the same experience, directly after installing windows 10 I ran fine for HOURS, did my normal thing. Shut down, went to bed, got up this morning and it's doing it again. Rapid BSODs.
Now, after awhile, and fighting through said BSODs, it SEEMS the computer calms down and... runs fine? I've done things like DISM restorehealth, sfc scannow, I've run memory tests (no issues!), I've unplugged unnecessary things (the second monitor and an HDD I was gonna use for more storage space as well as all USB external drives I have my backups on). I'm not really worried about data loss. I just want this thing to WORK. Could I have a faulty part? Is my SSD bad? All this stuff was ordered brand new, not used (over the course of several months).
I don't know how to OPEN a dump file and Event Viewer is all greek to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Emerada

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Edit: For some reason my brain went with PSU meaning CPU. Nowhere was that PSU "recommended" beyond it had decent reviews and I was told I didn't actually need anything THAT fantastic, just reliable. And it certainly is so far. Clearly I can't overclock a PSU or the like. I'm keeping the rest of the post intact for integrity.

It was bought brand new and because I could afford it. I actually got it via a suggestion from an article from this website as a decent PSU for gaming (a budget one, and since I have no intention of overclocking). It certainly has no issues running games I want. Could the PSU be the problem?
I don't BELIEVE the BIOS is fully updated. I've always been nervous about bios updates. I'd hate to attempt an update and have one of the errors blow up mid doing it and brick the machine? The CURRENT bios version I have according to dxdiag is 4.07
I've also not done much with Asrock before. Granted, this is the first PC I've ever built ENTIRELY on my own but I've poked with upgrades and such BEFORE here and there. Mostly those have been Asus boards or something though.

Last edited:

Emerada

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
I would like to note that everything I have is compatible with my motherboard at the current bios level and they DO recommend AGAINST updating the BIOS if such is the case. I'm certainly willing to try it- or almost anything at this point- as I've spent a long time putting this together and want it to work, but I'd like to save that as a last option since if I brick the motherboard I'm pretty sure I'll have to go get a new copy of windows and start over on the PC from scratch here.

TRENDING THREADS