Raspberry Pi Opens Its First Retail Store

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So, mostly unrelated, but I wonder how a no-deal Brexit will affect the inexpensiveness of Raspberry Pi, seeing as it's not an entirely UK-sourced object. I don't know why them opening a retail store made me think of that.

I am a little jealous. I haven't walked through a store offering electronic bits and pieces since Radioshack went out of business.

Actually it was a UK-sourced technology but the British government in the way of the EEDA (East of England Development Agency) refused to back it up with investment like what happens with US companies. So R-Pi had to look elsewhere for additional funding, incentives, and most importantly, talent. A lot depends on the effect of the Pound vs. Euro and US Dollar. But let's just listen to what founder Eben Upton said about it when questioned about the effect of BREXIT - pay attention to what nation he says is their largest market:

"I suspect a hard Brexit will mean very little for UK tech. If a company makes a compelling product, it will still find a market in Europe after Brexit, just as it finds a market in the US today. The US is our largest market, followed by the UK and Germany. Most of the technical standards affecting electronic products are harmonised between the US and the EU, and tariffs are low, so we expect to be able to export to Germany post-Brexit as easily as we export to the US today.

We will need to simplify the immigration process for engineers, but that's already a problem for more than 80 per cent of engineers who aren't EU citizens. I have an Australian citizen working for me, and getting his visa last year was like pulling teeth. If you're Australian, or Chinese, or Indian - or, post-Brexit, French - and have a computer science or electrical engineering degree, you should be able to walk into a British Consulate and pick up a work permit. If the government uses the opportunity to rationalise immigration policy then we could end up in a better situation than we are in today.

Overall, I'm positive: we have the engineering talent, we have the business talent and we have the finance to build global players. Even before 2016's currency movements dropped my manufacturing costs through the floor, it cost me a dollar less to build a Raspberry Pi in South Wales than it did in Shenzhen. The UK: the once and future king of global manufacturing."

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/article-50-brexit-tech

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I remember wandering around Micro Center when I was young, meeting various service representatives eager to help a curious young kid get deeper into computers. I hope this store will be a sanctuary for young nerds. Looking very hopeful.