[SOLVED] Rate My 1st Gaming PC Build!

Jun 10, 2020
Hey everyone!

So I've been working remote since March and being in the house all day has definitely got to me and ultimately led to a few purchases/projects to help keep me busy. My most recent one is a brand new PC build - I've never been a huge gamer but Warzone (CoD) is pretty damn fun on PS4 and want to give it a whirl on PC. Also, the challenge of learning how to build a PC sounds fun.

I've ordered all the parts and am now just deciding between going the water cooled CPU (https://bit.ly/2YrzVhs) or the standard 140mm fan route.

Here is everything I have so far (just waiting on the GPU to arrive) - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ysb2Dx

My question to the audience is, should I go the water cooling route AND what do you think of my build so far?

Remember this is my first build so everything I've learned is from hours and hours or YouTube, Internet reviews / ratings. Look forward to hearing from you!

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hey everyone!

So I've been working remote since March and being in the house all day has definitely got to me and ultimately led to a few purchases/projects to help keep me busy. My most recent one is a brand new PC build - I've never been a huge gamer but Warzone (CoD) is pretty damn fun on PS4 and want to give it a whirl on PC. Also, the challenge of learning how to build a PC sounds fun.

I've ordered all the parts and am now just deciding between going the water cooled CPU (https://bit.ly/2YrzVhs) or the standard 140mm fan route.

Here is everything I have so far (just waiting on the GPU to arrive) - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ysb2Dx

My question to the audience is, should I go the water cooling route AND what do you think of my build so far?

Remember this is my first build so everything I've learned is from hours and hours or YouTube, Internet reviews / ratings. Look forward to hearing from you!
Well your best bet would have been to post this before you bought everything lol. Some things I would change off the bat is the Ram If all you are doing is playing Warzon 16Gb would have been more than enough and the speed you could get would be 3600mhz. Another thing Power Supple. 550w would have been more than enough to power your rig. If you really wanted wifi, you should have went with a board that has it instead of an adapter, but you would honestly be way better off with an ethernet cord. COuld have spent the $40 on a 100 foot ethernet cord. The windows 10 edition you have saved yourself about $60 there by searching online for a key instead of buying it out right. If you have 0 plans to do overclocking then stock fan will be just fine or A Cooler Master 212 Black edition or RGB Edition would suffice

And the Storage a 512GB NVMe SSD and then a 2tb HDD would be the better option

Jun 10, 2020
Well your best bet would have been to post this before you bought everything lol. Some things I would change off the bat is the Ram If all you are doing is playing Warzon 16Gb would have been more than enough and the speed you could get would be 3600mhz. Another thing Power Supple. 550w would have been more than enough to power your rig. If you really wanted wifi, you should have went with a board that has it instead of an adapter, but you would honestly be way better off with an ethernet cord. COuld have spent the $40 on a 100 foot ethernet cord. The windows 10 edition you have saved yourself about $60 there by searching online for a key instead of buying it out right. If you have 0 plans to do overclocking then stock fan will be just fine or A Cooler Master 212 Black edition or RGB Edition would suffice

And the Storage a 512GB NVMe SSD and then a 2tb HDD would be the better option

All solid feedback. Yes I realized that about the mobo but really wanted the tomahawk.
Good to know about the windows key. I’ll look into that could always return what I have.
Do you have specific 16Gb card(s) along with SSD / HDD you’d recommend?

Ferimer

Distinguished
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($116.79 @ Amazon)
Total: $1172.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-10 20:12 EDT-0400

Solution
Jun 10, 2020
This is great, thank you. I do like the idea of having a SSD + HD. I’ll def be swapping out some parts.

Def open to seeing what others have to chime in as well.

Ferimer

Distinguished
This is great, thank you. I do like the idea of having a SSD + HD. I’ll def be swapping out some parts.

Def open to seeing what others have to chime in as well.
The SSD would be for your OS. There are some games out there where you just wont see the benefit of them being on an SSD, hence the smaller size. Opting to put more of your games on the 2tb HDD will be better and 2tb for $55 you cant go wrong. gives you 1.5TB more space than what you picked and less cost to you. If you still want to go ahead with the Wifi Adapter you can, i personally believe gaming with ethernet is better especially when playing fast paced FPS games like Warzone. Again 550w will do what you need. you wont need 850w that is just overkill so safe yourself some cost on that too. With the extra money saved you could even Get a better GPU

It seems like a pretty good build to me, and I see nothing horribly wrong with it.

I agree that an 850 watt PSU is probably a bit more than what was needed though, and you could have probably saved a little money there. A 2060 SUPER should top out at less than 200 watts under load, a 3600 around 70 watts or so, and all components in the system combined probably won't ever draw much more than 350 watts from the PSU. It's good to have a decent amount of headroom so that the power supply isn't being pushed to its limits, but that's arguably more than was necessary. : P I would have probably gone with a good 650 watt unit, though a good 550 watt would likely be plenty as well. Then again, PSU supplies are a bit limited currently, so you might have more trouble finding some of the more common capacities right now.

Going with a 500GB NVMe SSD alongside a 2TB hard drive is a reasonable option, particularly if you want more space for bulk file storage or an extended game library, though if you don't feel you need that much space, a 1TB SSD alone could be a good option as well. Games stored on an SSD will typically cut load times in half compared to a hard drive. And it's possible we might potentially even see SSD storage become something of a necessity for some games in the coming years, as the next-generation consoles will both feature fast SSDs, and games may start to be designed with faster storage in mind.

Reactions: Ferimer
Jun 10, 2020
Yeah I know the PSU was overkill when I was buying it, was looking for 600/650 but everything was out of stock. It's okay, I had some credit to best buy :)

I guess my main Q is now what you both are talking about, sticking with my 1TB SSD or opting for a SDD + HDD combo. I'm really only going to play Warzone for the immediate future.

Oh, I initially had a RX590 (fatboy) that I returned and upgraded to the RTX 2060 Super just today that I'm pretty pumped about.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I'm also going to exchange the RAM as well for the one you mentioned - https://bit.ly/30xdhHo
If you have 0 intentions of playing anything else other than COD WArzone with this then ideally you would benefit from just having a 500GB SSD and not even worry about the HDD. The HDD just gives you some flexibility with extra files and extra games if you want. a place to say store games and or files. or open it up and add it to your ps4? then delete the 1tb hard drive that may be in the ps4 and use it as an extra drive for your PC. The Ram you will notice the Timings are much faster. Your Original ram is 16-18-18-38 w no heat spreader and Latency of 16 at 3000mhz. 32gig. You are getting half the GB but you pump up to 3200mhz. w heat sink and timings of 14-14-14-34

I think it looks pretty good. As for water cooling on the CPU, I am using a Cooler Master Hyper X 212 EVO cooler and it stays plenty cool, even under load in gaming. As for the Memory speed, I am running 2666 Mhz. Seems to be fine. Your drive looks good ( cheaper than the 1 Tb I got ). You can add something else for back up and storage later.

Jun 10, 2020
Thoughts on buying a Windows 10 key online for a few bucks VS $130 USB drive like I did? I've heard mixed reviews that some keys you get do not work....

Ferimer

Distinguished
Thoughts on buying a Windows 10 key online for a few bucks VS $130 USB drive like I did? I've heard mixed reviews that some keys you get do not work....
I never noticed this. you could just used a unlicensed version of windows for the time being and it would work completely fine. I asked this same question and got some very helpful answers, one from a person detailing that they have been using it for years to see if anything happens. sort of testing it out and nothing has happened.

TRENDING THREADS