[SOLVED] Rate this build a friend of mine is offering to me

taskee

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
Hello everyone,

a friend of mine (friend A) is building a new gaming PC and is offering to sell me his current one. The specs he cited are :
  1. Asus hero 8 motherboard
  2. gtx 980ti gpu
  3. i7 6700k cpu
  4. corsair hx 850i PSU
  5. corsair vengeance RAM 2666 16gb
  6. samsung 840 evo 120gb ssd
  7. cooler master cosmos SE
  8. olymp CPU-Kuhler 2x140mm
  9. i am not sure about the actual pc case altho i dont believe its that relevant

The PC as a whole is around 4 years old.

To quote him again "I value this pc at 600-ish euro but im willing to sell it to you for 500 euro".

Now i am not quite up to date with the tech and price market as i once was so im looking for input if this is a good deal.

My initial reaction was that the price is a bit high. Especially since all these components have a certain lifespan behind them, the warranty for them has ran out and for some things like SSD's its just a matter of time before they give in.

I asked another friend of mine (friend B) for his opinion and he basically told me his "algorithm" which is : find a modern day component that is equivalent in specs to the one you're buying, then half the price of the new component.
He then elaborated further with this:
a) you can take a ryzen 3300x which is a bit better than what hes giving you for ~120e
b) a b450 motherboard for 80e, maybe 100e for something fancier
c)16gb of ram should be around 65e unless its discounted even lower
d) PSU 600W gold for roughly 70e unless you want something stronger
e) a random pc case for 50e
f) the ssd's are generally very cheap now, you're not gonna be able to do much with the 120gb's you're getting in the deal anyway and its gonna stop working eventually. So lets say you buy a new one, a samsung 970 evo which is NVMe in addition, 500gb for 60e
g) as for the graphics card the gtx 1660 is around 250euro, a used 1070 can be bought in the range of 100-150euro

A sum total of a new build being 695, which is the "equivalent" of what the first guy (friend A) is offering me. With this logic and his (friend B's) algorithm you split the 695e in half, get to 350e, take it a little further because of the poor SSD and u get to around 300euro. He (friend B) finished with saying that anything over 400euro for the build im being offered is a complete scam.

Thoughts/input/ideas? I am not sure which way to lean.

thanks in advance!

Solution
Where are you located, specifically?

Friend A's system is dated, for sure - but it's no slouch.
While yes, everything will be outside of warranty - they're quality components and, assuming they 'work' for stress testing, they're not particularly like to 'fail' anytime soon. It's possible, but far from a guarantee. Under normal use, the 120GB SSD should still have plenty life left in it. The TBW ratings far exceed what an average user/gamer would be exhausting in ~5 years.

As for Friend B, they're not far off in rationale. Always consider the pricepoint you can find similar (or better) performance in modern components, to give you a fair jumping off point.

Worth considering what you can actually buy though. A 3300X has been...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

While yes, everything will be outside of warranty - they're quality components and, assuming they 'work' for stress testing, they're not particularly like to 'fail' anytime soon. It's possible, but far from a guarantee. Under normal use, the 120GB SSD should still have plenty life left in it. The TBW ratings far exceed what an average user/gamer would be exhausting in ~5 years.

As for Friend B, they're not far off in rationale. Always consider the pricepoint you can find similar (or better) performance in modern components, to give you a fair jumping off point.

Worth considering what you can actually buy though. A 3300X has been pretty much impossible to find since launch, so it's not really a fair comparison, IMO. In most regions within Europe, even a 3100 is >120EUR, retail.....
Performance-wise, it's a good way to look at it... but if you can't buy it, it's irrelevant. Of course, if you can buy it in your region, great.

Solution

taskee

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013

Worth considering what you can actually buy though. A 3300X has been pretty much impossible to find since launch, so it's not really a fair comparison, IMO. In most regions within Europe, even a 3100 is >120EUR, retail.....
Performance-wise, it's a good way to look at it... but if you can't buy it, it's irrelevant. Of course, if you can buy it in your region, great.
Europe - Slovenia.

Which price would you agree on personally? I have to factor in the fact that i'll need to expand on disk storage for sure. And additionally that its supposed to be a "friendly deal" meaning he should charge less than ordinary.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Europe - Slovenia.

Which price would you agree on personally? I have to factor in the fact that i'll need to expand on disk storage for sure. And additionally that its supposed to be a "friendly deal" meaning he should charge less than ordinary.

Personally, to use it (not flip it), personally I wouldn't pay more than probably 400EUR myself.
Your friend could likely sell it for 500EUR on the open market, utilizing eBay etc... but that takes work (600EUR is doubtful, but I don't know what the used market is like in Slovenia).

I'd suggest a 400EUR offer, you decide if you want to go any higher.
500EUR isn't into 'scam' territory, but friend A would be getting a pretty good return on his investment, IMO - more benefit to A than yourself.

P.s. Beautiful country, I was there in ~2012

taskee

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
Personally, to use it (not flip it), personally I wouldn't pay more than probably 400EUR myself.
Your friend could likely sell it for 500EUR on the open market, utilizing eBay etc... but that takes work (600EUR is doubtful, but I don't know what the used market is like in Slovenia).

I'd suggest a 400EUR offer, you decide if you want to go any higher.
500EUR isn't into 'scam' territory, but friend A would be getting a pretty good return on his investment, IMO - more benefit to A than yourself.

P.s. Beautiful country, I was there in ~2012

Aprreciate the input, i'll probably go with 400EUR as recommended :) thanks