Razer Core V2 External Graphics Enclosure Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

iquerohde

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
thunderbolt 3.0 and its limited 5GB/s max bandwidth isn't a problem? even more if the dmi 3.0 limits the chipset speed to 4GB/s. i mean, desktop pcs provides 16GB/s with a 16x pci-e 3.0. if you have a good laptop cpu, i think they should develop a port like an external pci-e with enought bandwidth that is controled directly by the cpu.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Not a mention of thermals, noise levels, stability, experience with peripherals attached, etc. The main difference between the V1 and V2 was the addition of the 2nd TB3 controller daisy chained off the first to give the GPU top priority in the chain. Testing with the stealth was also a poor choice, you should have at least gotten a Razer laptop with a 45w CPU, they have several options you could have used - this was not an apples to apples comparison with the other laptops because of that. You also should probably spend a paragraph talking about how PCIe is plumbed off of the CPU vs. off the PCH (and therefore over the DMI) in many laptops and how that can impact performance with an eGPU. Really there are a LOT of things you could have done better in this review. I was glad you mentioned the internal vs external display performance difference though as I feel this is an important point when considering such a solution.

I tested one of these with my Alienware 15 R3 (I know not "officially" supported but kind of worked...) and for me I had a lot of issues when I connected peripherals into the USB ports on the Core vs directly into my laptop USB. Also the provided TB3 cable was SHORT but I suppose a longer one can be bought and used unlike the Dell TB docks. Compared to my Alienware Graphics Amplifier the performance difference was very noticeable for my GTX 1080 Ti due to the added overhead of Thunderbolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.