Razer Finally Makes Something for Lefties

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am genotypically left-handed. Fortunately, left-handed people are more likely to be ambidextrous, as I lost much of my left-hand coordination when I became open-minded in 1980. I've never wanted to use a left-handed mouse. When I'm remoted into someone with a leftie mouse, I just carry on with the right hand, remembering to switch the clicks. I use a mouse in Guild Wars and other non-FPS titles, but prefer a trackball for FPS as there's never any running out of surface. I just can't pull off fancy jump moves, but I've never worried about it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It's good to see some companies take the time to make specialized products like this, since only 7-10% of the population is left-handed. It's basically like making products specifically for Macs. I would advise against making left-handed mouses that works only on Macs though. Not much of a market there! ;)

Envinyanta

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'm a leftie too, who learned to do most things (including using the mouse and playing games) with my right hand. A few years ago I made the decision to start using my left. I went to ambidextrous mice, switched the button profiles, and 'converted'. It took me about 2 weeks to get past the "dang this feels awkward" stage, at which point my left-handed mouse skills jumped way ahead of anything my right can do. I've never looked back. If you're a southpaw I'd strongly encourage you to try it. Give yourself 2-3 weeks, and I bet your skill will improve beyond what you could do with your right. When I found out about the Razer left-handed mouse, I pre-ordered it right away. Way to go Razer!!

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
[citation][nom]Envinyanta[/nom]It took me about 2 weeks to get past the "dang this feels awkward" stage, at which point my left-handed mouse skills jumped way ahead of anything my right can do. I've never looked back. If you're a southpaw I'd strongly encourage you to try it. Give yourself 2-3 weeks, and I bet your skill will improve beyond what you could do with your right.[/citation]

You are so right. Maybe it's because we are naturally left-handed. Or perhaps the right brain is just better wired for kicking butt than the left brain! ;)

bootleghooch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I'm left-handed. I use my mouse right-handed. I've never met a left-hander that uses a mouse with their left hand.

I do however, know a right-hander that uses her left hand. She's strange.

I'm right-handed but got severe RSI. Switched to left-hand and never looked back. Use Razer Diamondback 3G. No issues with gaming at all - in fact I think I'm better now than I ever was using right. It really makes no difference which hand you use for the mouse, but it does take a few weeks to adjust.

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Alchemy69[/nom]I guess I'm the odd one out here. I'm actually right-handed but I always use my mouse with my left hand. I bought an Atari ST as a kid when mice were still a pretty new idea in home computers and it seemed like the most natural thing to do was use the mouse in my left hand so that I could use the keyboard with my more dextrous right hand at the same time, Now, 25 years later, the habit is so ingrained in me that I can't do it any other way.[/citation]

Not the odd one out. I'm right-handed, but use the mouse in the left hand. Mainly because there were more left-handed people in the house. I use the mouse in the right hand for small tasks, but FPS needs the left. I switch to I-J-K-L when on a laptop as I don't want my hand on the touchpad!

Nutjob

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Im left handed but it seems me and all the other left handed people here is already used to using their right hand for their mouse. I couldn't imagine using my right hand for W-A-S-D buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.