Razer Ouroboros & Synapse 2.0 problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jandertaker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I'm having the exact 3 issues and have raised it to Razer support but have so far gotten no reply. In the meantime, I have fixed Issue 1. Surprisingly, all I had to do was turn off Surface Calibration, which is weird since I have a Razer Goliathus and you'd think the mouse should be compatible with it. If you "fix" issue 1 this way, then you can forget about issue 2 even though it sucks not being able to use one of the mouse's features.

Issue 3, however, is a different beast. I haven't found an answer to it yet, although at least it can be remedied by the DPI switching you described.

I'm really happy with the mouse IF and WHEN it works perfectly. All in all, though, it has been hell.

EDIT: I do have an issue number 4 though. At any random moment, the button configurations on the mouse don't work. I have the right side buttons disabled since I don't need them, but after a while they act like the left side buttons (for example, back and forward in browsers). The same thing happens if I, say, assign it something else (like a keyboard press). The only thing that fixes this for me is a complete PC reboot. :(

Immortalbasque

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
vflow said:
Same issues on my new Ouroboros, bought 13th (hmm!) of February 2013. Here is part of my conn with Razer Support:
"OS Win 7 Ultimate x64
1. When changing from wired to wireless mode mouse freezes. Only solution to restore the mouse functionality is to log off-log on which means the game session is compromised.
2. I am using Razer Goliathus Control Edition mouse pad. Despite the calibration for this pad it seems that Synapse cannot remember the settings so each time I start the computer I find different settings under Calibration tab.
3.After mouse stand-by mode on wake up, it becomes unusable, it moves like having different DPI settings for x and y axis. The only solution is to select a DPI setting from the top buttons.

Hey Guys,

same issues as you... i'm on my second mouse and still no luck, thought id be the one to tell you that Razer is working on fixing the issue.
I've been talking to them since January and I had my issue escalated. Finally I had someone who was able to help me out and not give me generic answer like try it on another computer. Razer have now come up with a new firmware update for the mouse.
I must admit it doesn't solve all the issues but it certainly fixes problems with the slow DPI clutch and the mouse being laggy.

1. When changing from wired to wireless mode mouse freezes. Only solution to restore the mouse functionality is to log off-log on which means the game session is compromised.
FIXED
2. I am using Razer Goliathus Control Edition mouse pad. Despite the calibration for this pad it seems that Synapse cannot remember the settings so each time I start the computer I find different settings under Calibration tab.
FIXED I am using the same mouse pad and i no longer have to do that.
3.After mouse stand-by mode on wake up, it becomes unusable, it moves like having different DPI settings for x and y axis. The only solution is to select a DPI setting from the top buttons.
FIXED This was my biggest problem with the mouse and it has been resolved.

Anyway here is a direct link to the update but make sure before the update is completed that you get another mouse if you want to keep control of your computer as the mouse turns off. AND You must connect the mouse via the cable and not wirelessly prior to running the update.

DIRECT LINK- http://dl.razerzone.com/drivers/Ouroboros/win/Razer_Ouroboros_FirmwareUpdater_v1.03.02.exe

Also a Synapse update came out last night which may help you guys.

I've told Razer about the update doesn't solve all issues and i am waiting for a reply, I'll keep you posted on any updates...:pt1cable:

Immortalbasque

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

all good buddy if you need any other help just ask, i've practically fixed all the problems now

Although the new firmware (1.3.2) solved most issues with my Ouroboros, my issue with waking from S3 sleep (detailed above) has not been resolved. To reiterate, after waking from sleep (from a prolonged period) the mouse is insanely laggy, jumping literally 10 cm (4 inches) between refreshes if you're moving it around, making it near impossible to click anything. This lasts for about 1 minute, then the mouse suddenly starts behaving normally.
If I just put the PC to sleep for a few minutes this issue does not occur, it has to be waking from S3 after a longer period (at least a few hours). Further, this issue doesn't occur in wireless mode, i.e. it only does when using it wired.

Immortalbasque

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Hey Man,
so this is what i did to fix that problem, it may or may not help...

Navigate to the power settings within the control panel on your
machine and next to the plan you have selected click "change plan settings",then click on "change advanced power settings."

Once within this menu; expand "USB Settings" and then expand "USB selective suspend setting" and
then disable this setting if it is currently enabled.

Once this setting has been changed please restart your computer and see if there is any difference
once the machines wakes up from a sleep state.

If that doesn't work i am sorry but it was worth a try, if you computer is in balanced power mode it sometimes enables the setting causing the USB lag. this isn't a Razer problem; well wasn't for me :)

I had tried this already. There is no effect. It is definitely a Razer firmware/hardware issue since:
1. No other mouse I've tried has this issue (including the Razer Diamondback I upgraded from).
2. This doesn't occur in wireless mode on the Ouroboros either.

Dgamers

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Good day..

I bought a razer Ouroboros last week and i have this problem.

Did you experience a system freeze when switching wireless to wired and vice versa while playing games or watching movie?

thanks

Not sure about "hardware freeze" - I assume you mean the mouse is not immediately responsive (i.e. the rest of the system is still working as normal). Do you mean that when you unplug the mouse and switch from wired to wireless it takes 10-20 secs for the mouse to become usable? I suspect this is not actually a Razer issue as such, rather it is Windows having to do a "remove device"/"add device" driver installation and so cannot be fixed by Razer, i.e. it equivalent to actually hard swapping between two different mice.

Dgamers

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I mean for the system freeze is system hang/windows not responding and need to manually restart the system when switching the mouse from wireless to wired and vice versa.

Oh ok. I don't have that particular issue with my Ouroboros, and I swap between wired and wireless all the time. This does momentarily "freeze" the mouse pointer, but definitely does not otherwise lock-up the PC (or require a reboot). Have you updated the firmware as mentioned in a previous post?

varulv

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Great thread.

I've been using the Ouroboros for quite some time now, and my main issues have been:

1) X & Y axis being messed up after waking the mouse - wireless mode only
2) scroll wheel only working intermittently in wireless mode, sometimes it would take way more scrolling for it to actually register
3) sometimes it would forget the key-bindings that I've set and reset to defaults, also a wireless only problem

I just found about about the firmware (thanks to Immortalbasque) and I do hope that it fixes everything.. because I really want to start using this mouse again.

Dgamers

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
It is normal for the docking station of the mouse that the light turn off a few minutes while using the mouse?

I don't think so. The light on my docking station is ALWAYS on. The mouse light goes out after 30 minutes or so if you don't use it.

madmogga

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I had the same issue with lag, to solve my problem I have to plug the dock directly into my pc via a USB2 port problem for me was solved

Weatherbee-A

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I turned off the Surface Calibration, and my mouse stutter/lag disapeared, also before I un-checked the Surface calibration box i increased my liftoff range and it helped as well.

Matthew Horne

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi I too have this mouse and I really do like it but I also had the issues with tracking and I figured out what it was.

I looked at the lasers on my mouse and It turned out there was a small piece of fluff over the surface of the laser. This tiny piece of fluff was throwing off the tracking and after removing it the mouse worked perfectly.

I would recommend using a hard surface mouse mat for this mouse and not a soft material based mouse mat so that the build up of fluff is minimal, I got rid of the problem fluff by simply blowing the laser.

Hope this helps others.

jensak

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I have used this mice for a while, when i first got it I had the same problems you write about, I stopped using synapse and the problem was solved.

vflow

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Well, I solved the problem too. Quit using Ouroboros and change it for a Mamba 2012. Now everything is fine. At a certain moment, after month's of using Mamba without any issues, I tried to update software to Synapse 2. My Mamba got crazy immediatly so I quickly returned to it's original software and drivers.

IMO Synapse 2 is 95% of the problem with Razer gear at the moment. I STILL get a crazy laggy mouse pointer for 3 minutes or so after a cold boot (but only if the PC has been off for a few hours). If you Google "laggy razer mouse cold boot", you quickly find it's a problem affecting many flavours of Razer mice. Synapse 2 is likely the culprit.

TiesTorN

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Does any of you guys having problems with sleep function on this mouse? This mouse doesn't sleep most of the time, or even if it sleeps, it just wakes up by itself in a very short while thus draining the battery... Sleep timer function in Synapse has no effect, mouse decides to sleep whenever it likes. It only sleeps properly in 1 out of 5 times or smth, so broken.

I also have problems with my backlighting, it usually doesn't start pulsing when I put it on my dock to recharge as it's supposed to.

Battery indicator has problems too, it's accuracy is wrong first of all, stays at 3/3 power for only 30 minutes and stays at 2/3 for almost 10 hours... And sometimes when mouse wakes up from sleep, battery indicator doesn't even come on, just stays dark...

What the hell?

Daniel82

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Biggest POS I have ever had, this isn't the first crappy Razor product I've unfortunately owned, the first mouse's they released were awesome but now they are just a headache I'll never ever buy another Razor product again.

After 2 replacements screwing up I threw this peace of shit against the wall and watched it disintegrate with pleasure

Immortalbasque

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

yeah tbh I'd be happy to take it off your hands and even pay for postage :)

Bad_Horse

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
So, just to confirm, there are no crucial issues happening with the new firmware update? By crucial issues I mean anything that would make my game experience suffer - sudden changes within a game, random occurences etc. I can deal with issues like lag when waking up from sleep and similar, god knows I have had my fair share of those with my g700.

I'm currently looking to upgrade to this from g700 and I was really scared upon reading about all the issues with the mouse. Kinda reminded me of Logitech and their own drivers. I can't believe that the 2 biggest peripheral makers can have such awful software.

No no issues for me - i.e. it doesn't break anything new and fixed a number of issues (no where near all of them though). However, it looks like Razer has pulled the update:
http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=360&pcid=244&nav=0,76,244
As you can see, there are now no firmware updates for the Ouroboros! Not sure why Razer has done this, since the update was a definite step in the right direction.