Razer Ouroboros & Synapse 2.0 problems

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ch3zzie

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

how do fix this number 1 problem?I still cant figure how to solve this one..
fortunately I dont have any problem with dpi..i just keep asking razer team and they just said to RMA,actually it so annoying..

jrm_ayun

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Just signed up to post on this topic. Yeah the Ouroboros for how much is costs is a buggy piece of hardware/software. I've been starting to use it wired mode but it's barely usable. Every start up the input lag just persists. I dunno how I even get it to work. Tried reconnecting the usb, restarting Sh*tnapse, uninstalling mouse driver from device manager, turning off surface calibration. The first two I always do when starting up but still doesn't work. The mouse will just suddenly work I guess. Been thinking of going back to my g9 cause of this -_-

Did nothing for me either. Still get 2-5 minutes of super laggy mouse after cold start or waking from S3 sleep (but only after the system has been off for a number of HOURS) regardless of ErP settings. I maintain this can only be fixed by new mouse firmware and/or Synapse 2 driver. It seems Razer themselves don't understand the issue or I'm pretty sure we would have had a fix for this by now.

Ch3zzie

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
i'll try ask the razer suport division software for this behaviour,but they always sent me to technical suport which always give "try to RMA i will guide you for it"..man it so annoying since i used the razer mouse from a long time a go..

I MIGHT have a fix for the laggy mouse on start up that actually works. Everyone who has this annoying issue, try setting the sleep Suspend State to S1 (rather than S3) in your BIOS settings. I know that this is a Sleep function setting and SHOULD have nothing to do with the way a PC shuts down, but since I've changed it it seems to have fixed the laggy mouse on start up issue... that said I only have a single successful boot under the belt (but it's also the first I've ever had!) and don't want to get anyone's hopes up. You can only try things once a day for some reason.
Not sure if it's relevant, but I have a Gigabyte motherboard with Award BIOS.
Post your results positive or negative here.

Update: 2nd flawless boot this morning!

jrm_ayun

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Oh I don't know anything about that but though I just tried to remove the battery last night to lower the weight of the mouse and when I booted up right now there is no lag whatsoever. I'll try to cold boot again later after dinner I guess. I'll update. You can also try it if it works.

*UPDATE: After eating and taking a shower, I booted up the laptop again. There was no sign of any stuttering unlike before when I first tried the solution with a battery there was still stuttering but it lasted shorter than when coming from an overnight cold boot. Hoping to hear from others.

*UPDATE 2: Happy to say that removing the battery fixed the stuttering for me during start up. I don't know though if it would work without the usb power management thing but to be clear. I did the usb thing before removing the battery. So now it's usb power management off plus no battery.

Brainwire

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Stupid stupid stupid

Bought an Ouroboros because I like the chunky blocky feel of a straight mouse without the cord. Connected it with no drivers, runs well, started playing with settings after the Synapse download, it appears to after changes download settings like power management and LED's off into mouse okay, then noticed an annoying bug with driver wants to stay online.....etc etc... need account blah blah. Anyway with synapse loaded Steam games crash on multiplayer and in solo it glitches, gets stutter when passing cursor over icons on desktop, and inside game as well stutters when hovering over items with cursor .. sometimes.

Anyway found mouse works good with default settings and no Synapse loaded, you need to switch the Synapse auto-run off in Windows boot-up sequence, check windows website for how to do. I played with control panel mouse settings to get the dpi right on second notch up for my game, the dpi up-down buttons have 5 pre-chosen settings suitable for most.

To turn LEDs back on or change mouse power saving just run Synapse and change settings and shut it down after it downloads into mouse, my games don't like running Synapse in background I have concluded and basically corrupts the mouse cursor afterwards.

Cheers

Shadowfuze

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, but am familiar with Tom's Hardware and am hoping you all might help find a solution.
If I can't find a solution, then I'll at least say this - stay away from the Razor Ouroboros and Synapse!

I've had nothing but issues with this mouse since day one and have struggled with it for months now. And Razor have been for the most part useless in helping...

Where to start with the issues:

My main issue is that the mouse fails on most occasions to go to sleep. Most of the time it stays on (after I've turned my PC off) and the battery just drains away till it's dead (not much fun to come home to or wake up to a wireless mouse with no battery). Or if it does go to sleep after I've turned off my PC, it'll almost always end up turning back on if I bump my table/cat jumps on my table/phone vibrates on my table/any movement really and then it simply doesn't go back to sleep again, and I'm once again left with a dead battery.
Nothing Razor has done has fixed this.

Next issue: Due to the fact that my mouse doesn't sleep, I have to manually turn it of fully (hold down both DPI buttons for quite a few seconds till it shuts down, and do the same again to turn it back on). This saves the battery, but brings with it new issues.
On turning the mouse back on, whether while my PC is on or before I turn my PC on, I encounter major DPI issues - the mouse is now REALLY slow (as in I can barely get the pointer to move on my screen) and adjusting the DPI up causes the DPI to go insanely fast! No middle ground, just ridiculously slow mouse pointer or insanely fast.
I can only amend this by restarting the PC.
The same thing happens if the battery on the mouse has died and I turn on my PC to charge the mouse - on turning the mouse back on I get the exact same above DPI issues.
So it seems that whenever the mouse powers off completely, it triggers this DPI issue.

The next issue - if the battery is low I'll plug the USB cable into the mouse and make it wired, so I can still use it while it charges. There is a delay and a few seconds wait for the mouse to start working again, but other than that all good until I switch back again to wireless and plug the USB back into the reciver - now the mouse doesn't move at all, the cursor (or game or whatever) just sits still. Strangely enough the buttons all still seem to work, just no movement.
And if, once the above has happened, I try plug the USB back into the mouse the problem remains. I can only fix it by restarting my PC.

As for Razor support - I at last managed to get thier attention, they sent me an email with an apology and sent me the latest firmware update for the mouse. They gave very specific instructions on how to install the firmware but failed to tell me that it only works with the USB plugged into the mouse, doesn't work wireless. For a while I thought that the firmware wouldn't update till I had the idea to try with the mouse plugged in to the USB!
Alas, no fixes on the above - all the firmware update did was slightly fix the problem - the mouse goes to sleep more often now, where before it never went to sleep at all. But everything I have written above is still happening even with the frimware update and the latest version of Synapse 2.0.

I have, almost daily, sent feedback and reply emails to Razor but have not had a single reply since.

At this point, I'm about to give up and go back to Logitech, which seems a shame because I was so excited about having an 'awesome' Razor gaming mouse.

Yep, all sounds fairly typical. I have fewer issues in wireless than wired. It mostly works, but it far from a flawless, enjoyable experience. The weird jerky/laggy mouse I get after a cold boot is especially super infuriating. I;m assuming it's a hardware issue at this point, or it would have been fixed by now (btw it is DEFINITELY NOT a Synapse issue, since I have replaced Razer's drivers with generic MS drivers and the issue persists). Razer makes it VERY hard to love them.

Firefly74940

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
My mouse didn't had those troubles (only trouble was a small freeze when plug/unplug) but had some other and still have (synapse doesn't see my mouse in wireless, and can't flash the dock) , but wire and wireless work fine now :)

IceFoxify

Commendable
May 31, 2016
I just need to post this as I had the exact same issue and just found a working solution!
In this thread "http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1999531/razer-ouroboros-cursor-wont-move-wireless-mode.html" a user named scalzo posted a solution to a different problem and for some reason I tried it on my mouse, even though I did not have that particular problem.

And it solved my problems!!!
Now I have no lag when using either DPI-clutch or switching DPI with buttons, in wireless, with Synapse running.

Here is a quote of his solution:

Windows 10 never said the mouse was unplugged but I left it unplugged for roughly 10 seconds.

In all fairness I did also just create a new profile in Synapse, not editing anything just clicking the plus so I got a new profile and closed the window.
I don't know if it was either of these, or a combination of the two, but now (four years later) the mouse works just as expected!

I hope this helps somebody, it truly made my day!!!

On a side note its nice to know the mouse can be turned off, I just knew it could be reset, but not turned off.