Please excuse me for asking this again, I can't find the old
response. If I have an OEM machine and received with it only
a "Restore CD", and a "Drivers CD", is there any way that I
can acquire a Recovery Console? Is it downloadable? Or does
it only come with store-bought OS?
WBL

Windows will be on your restore CD, or at least it should be...

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

Mary Sauer wrote:
> Windows will be on your restore CD, or at least it should be...
>
> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

Sorry, Mary, nothing is on the Restore CD other than
a Ghost Image of the original OS as fursnished by the
OEM. There is no way to run the CD other than plug it in and
watch while it restores original OS.
I'll look at that link, but if it doesn't give a download
link, it isn't furnished. EMachines T2080 ......

--
William B. Lurie

Mary Sauer wrote:

> Windows will be on your restore CD, or at least it should be...
>
> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

Mary, I read the How To that you sent me to.
One of the first lines there says "From the XP CD...."
and they never gave me an XP CD.

--
William B. Lurie

Hi William,

You can install it from the system files installed on your hard drive,
usually under C:\Windows\I386. From a start/run prompt, run this:

C:\Windows\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

If your I386 folder is elsewhere, you need to change the path accordingly.
Remember that you must have folder options/view set to see hidden and system
folders in order to be able to actually see the folder. Even if not set, the
command will still work if the path is correct.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> You can install it from the system files installed on your hard drive,
> usually under C:\Windows\I386. From a start/run prompt, run this:
>
> C:\Windows\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
>
> If your I386 folder is elsewhere, you need to change the path accordingly.
> Remember that you must have folder options/view set to see hidden and system
> folders in order to be able to actually see the folder. Even if not set, the
> command will still work if the path is correct.

Thank you Rick. If it's on my system (which would surprise me),
I'll find it

--
William B. Lurie

William B. Lurie wrote:
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi William,
>>
>> You can install it from the system files installed on your hard drive,
>> usually under C:\Windows\I386. From a start/run prompt, run this:
>>
>> C:\Windows\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
>>
>> If your I386 folder is elsewhere, you need to change the path
>> accordingly. Remember that you must have folder options/view set to
>> see hidden and system folders in order to be able to actually see the
>> folder. Even if not set, the command will still work if the path is
>> correct.
>>
> Thank you Rick. If it's on my system (which would surprise me),
> I'll find it

Rick, I found winnt32.exe, not in \Windows\i386, but in i386.
I pasted it into the command line after Start>>run, and executed
......and it gave me an error window, saying something about it
being the wrong version. I would think that, on my own system,
which was SP1 and not upgraded to SP2, that its own files
could hardly be a wrong version. Shall I do it again and
report the exact message?

--
William B. Lurie