Re Re P4P800E-Deluxe boot very very long (to PAUL)

koko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

First of all, thank you for having helped me

I checked my Bios and it was almost the same as you told me.
But I can't find how to disable the promise 20378, I don't find this option.

my real problem is that the black screen with the flashing "_" does not stay ten seconds but thirty seconds, and that's what I'd like to reduce, if you know how.

for your information:
primary IDE master : Hard disk
primary IDE slave : CD-RW drive
secondary IDE master : Hard disk
secondary IDE slave: DVD-RW drive

and I have no SATA drives.

Hope you'll be able to help me!
Thank you in advance

Paul

Splendid

In article <40cc48de$0$13821$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, "koko"
<koko@koko.com> wrote:

> First of all, thank you for having helped me
>
> I checked my Bios and it was almost the same as you told me.
> But I can't find how to disable the promise 20378, I don't find this option.
>
> my real problem is that the black screen with the flashing "_" does not
stay ten seconds but thirty seconds, and that's what I'd like to reduce,
if you know how.

> for your information:
> primary IDE master : Hard disk
> primary IDE slave : CD-RW drive
> secondary IDE master : Hard disk
> secondary IDE slave: DVD-RW drive
>
> and I have no SATA drives.
>
> Hope you'll be able to help me!
> Thank you in advance

Look in "Advanced", then "Onboard Devices Configuration", to find
the "Onboard Promise Controller" [Disabled].

As for the black screen with the flashing "_", I don't know what
the computer is trying to detect during that interval. As far as
I can tell, disk detection is finished by then, so maybe the
computer is looking for USB devices ? About the only way to guess
at what is going on, would be with a POST display card, a debugging
device that fits in a PCI slot. And I don't own one of those.

If you wish to do more tests, disable any unused ports in the
"Onboard Devices Configuration", to see if any of those ports are
responsible for the delay.

In the Main screen, enter "Third IDE Master" and "Fourth IDE Master".
I think those are the SATA ports on the Southbridge. You can
set "Type" to [Not Installed] on those if you want, as you don't have
any SATA drives.

Hope that helps,
Paul