[SOLVED] Re Win10's "File History"

May 29, 2021
After "upgrading" my Win 7 Dell64bitPC to Win 10 it began to slow down severely, so instead of doing a simple Restore I tried recovering the system files from the newfangled "File History". As it was the first time I'd accessed "File History" it first needed to copy all the files, which it warned "may take some time". Not mentioned was that it would also render my PC unusable!

As it began its 2nd day of processing I'd had enough! I aborted the process and rebooted the machine, intending to do a simple Restore from a point a few weeks back, but then discovered they'd all been swept away except for one - 05/28/2021! Uh huh - yesterday!!

Short of completely reinstalling Win 10 and likely losing much of my data, is it possible to Restore system files from my Backup drive where I have:
Configuration Files from 5/2/2021 and
Data files from 5/1/2021.

Thanks in advance (ever the optimist),
The Garpster

Solution
Thanks for your response, but my problem is not with my backup but that my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 has severely slowed down my Dell64bitPC. Originally I just wanted to do a Restore from an earlier date, but discovered that had become impossible. I believe that system file changes is the problem, unless anyone else can suggest an alternative.
An inplace upgrade sometimes goes wrong.
Also, going back to the previous OS is not guaranteed.

At this point, the suggestion would be a complete reinstall of Win 10. Which will almost certainly "fix" any software issues.
Unfortunately, this means a reinstall of all your drivers and applications as well.
Hopefully your personal data is ALSO backed up elsewhere, and can simply be copied...
The surest bet is to install a new boot drive and install Windows to it. With all the other drives disconnected. Then work on manually moving your data over. That’s the only way to be sure to get it running again without jeopardizing your data.

File History is garbage. For the future. I’d recommend cloning software for backups. If the data is important. Have a second off site backup. Backblaze is reasonably priced for cloud backups.

Reactions: CountMike
May 29, 2021
The surest bet is to install a new boot drive and install Windows to it. With all the other drives disconnected. Then work on manually moving your data over. That’s the only way to be sure to get it running again without jeopardizing your data.

File History is garbage. For the future. I’d recommend cloning software for backups. If the data is important. Have a second off site backup. Backblaze is reasonably priced for cloud backups.

Thanks for your response, but my problem is not with my backup but that my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 has severely slowed down my Dell64bitPC. Originally I just wanted to do a Restore from an earlier date, but discovered that had become impossible. I believe that system file changes is the problem, unless anyone else can suggest an alternative.

USAFRet

Titan
An inplace upgrade sometimes goes wrong.
Also, going back to the previous OS is not guaranteed.

At this point, the suggestion would be a complete reinstall of Win 10. Which will almost certainly "fix" any software issues.
Unfortunately, this means a reinstall of all your drivers and applications as well.
Hopefully your personal data is ALSO backed up elsewhere, and can simply be copied back into the new install.

Solution