Real Player One utility deletes all restore points

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Anyone know of a way to fix this problem, happened for SP1 and now SP2 on XP
Home. Thanks.

--
Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

The issue is that you found Real Player One utility deletes all restore
points.

Dose it delete all restore points when you installing Real Player One or
after reinstalling? Is there any error information?

Based on my knowledge, if no free disk space on monitored system drive or
on any of the available non-system drives exists, System Restore will purge
restore points consistently across all monitored partitions to free disk
space. If the free disk space falls below 50 MB on any monitored partition,
System Restore will stop monitoring and suspend.

Please review your System Event Viewer log for System Restore events for a
volume error event to check the issue.

Also I want to know if this issue happens when you install the other
software except Real Player One.

If it only occurs when installing Real Player One, you would suggest you
contact Real Player One manufacture to confirm the issue and find if they
have any update or hotfix for the problem.

Hope that helps and thanks for your understanding. If you have any other
questions or concerns on this issue, please feel free to let me know. I'm
very glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi,

I found that you have posted the same thread at here. So please ignore
this thread and I would give the suggestions in this thread: 27826622

Thanks for understanding.

"Amanda Wang [MSFT]" <v-amanwa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The issue is that you found Real Player One utility deletes all restore
> points.
>
> Dose it delete all restore points when you installing Real Player One or
> after reinstalling? Is there any error information?

Thanks for this, the issue is one known to MS and I wondered if there was
anything new with it particularly with regard to SP2. Please ref.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812119

Thanks

--
Regards

Hi Hem,

Thanks for your update and let me know more information about this issue.

I also hope that you can try to uninstall RealPlayer to check the issue.
If you uninstall RealPlayer and the restore points remain, it is likely the
result of actions of Real Player One. You will
need to contact the third party manufacturer for the fix. Meanwhile, you
can
consider Windows Media Player whether it happens to it.

In addition, I'd like to provide the following articles related to this
issue for your reference:

System Restore "Restore Points" Are Missing or Deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q301/2/24.asp

Cannot Create a Restore Point with a HighPoint Driver Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q322/2/46.asp

Please let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is
unclear, feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. And
thanks for your understanding.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang[MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

Hi Hem,

I did some snooping around the Real.com support site and could no
mention of this issue. So it seems they have not publicly recognized
the problem nor a solution. What version do you currently have
installed?

I have RealPlayer 10.5 and don't experience problems with System
Restore. So I would suggest checking for an update. Open RealPlay and
go to Help - About RealPlayer and click on Check for updates.

Please post back with the results.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Hem,
>
> I did some snooping around the Real.com support site and could no mention
> of this issue. So it seems they have not publicly recognized the problem
> nor a solution. What version do you currently have installed?
>
> I have RealPlayer 10.5 and don't experience problems with System Restore.
> So I would suggest checking for an update. Open RealPlay and go to Help -
> About RealPlayer and click on Check for updates.
>
> Please post back with the results.

> Hem wrote:
>> "Amanda Wang [MSFT]" <v-amanwa@online.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> The issue is that you found Real Player One utility
>>> deletes all restore points.
>>>
>>> Dose it delete all restore points when you installing
>>> Real Player One or after reinstalling? Is there any
>>> error information?
>>
>> Thanks for this, the issue is one known to MS and I
>> wondered if there was anything new with it particularly
>> with regard to SP2. Please ref.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812119

Thanks. I have RealOne Player 2.0 which is actually v. 6.0.11.853, the
latest version RealPlayer 10.5 is v. 6.0.12.1059 (Real Player seems to have
jumped from 2.0 to 10.0 and then 10.5 and all are v. 6.0). I will update to
10.5 and see if the problem is still present. To clarify the problem is not
that Real Player deletes selected restore points but that it deactivates
System Restore and so all points are lost as is noted in the MS article. I
prefer to download a setup file and monitor the install rather than use the
integral updater and will do this as soon as possible but for now the
www.real.com website won't load for me. I see a grey blank screen with just
a white and blue bar at the top. Shows this way in IE, Firefox and OffByOne
browsers and has for two days.

--
Regards

Hi Hem,

Real.com is working fine here. Are you still unable to view the site?

As I see it you have two choices, update RealPlayer or as Amanda Wang
suggested, uninstall it and see if the SR problem goes away.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

> Hi Hem,
> As I see it you have two choices, update RealPlayer or as Amanda Wang
> suggested, uninstall it and see if the SR problem goes away.

> Hem wrote:
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Hem,
>>>
>>> I did some snooping around the Real.com support site and
>>> could no mention of this issue. So it seems they have
>>> not publicly recognized the problem nor a solution. What
>>> version do you currently have installed? I have RealPlayer 10.5 and
>>> don't experience problems
>>> with System Restore. So I would suggest checking for an
>>> update. Open RealPlay and go to Help - About RealPlayer
>>> and click on Check for updates. Please post back with the results.

>> Thanks. I have RealOne Player 2.0 which is actually v.
>> 6.0.11.853, the latest version RealPlayer 10.5 is v.
>> 6.0.12.1059 (Real Player seems to have jumped from 2.0 to
>> 10.0 and then 10.5 and all are v. 6.0). I will update to 10.5 and see if
>> the problem is still present. To clarify
>> the problem is not that Real Player deletes selected
>> restore points but that it deactivates System Restore and
>> so all points are lost as is noted in the MS article. I
>> prefer to download a setup file and monitor the install
>> rather than use the integral updater and will do this as
>> soon as possible but for now the www.real.com website
>> won't load for me. I see a grey blank screen with just a
>> white and blue bar at the top. Shows this way in IE,
>> Firefox and OffByOne browsers and has for two days.

Updated to 10.5 (v. 6.0.12.1059) and can not reproduce problem. Thanks Bert
and Amanda.

Glad to see that Hem.
And thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Hem wrote:
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Hem,
>> As I see it you have two choices, update RealPlayer or
>> as Amanda Wang suggested, uninstall it and see if the SR
>> problem goes away.
>

>>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

>>> Thanks. I have RealOne Player 2.0 which is actually v.
>>> 6.0.11.853, the latest version RealPlayer 10.5 is v.
>>> 6.0.12.1059 (Real Player seems to have jumped from 2.0 to 10.0 and
>>> then 10.5 and all are v. 6.0). I will update
>>> to 10.5 and see if the problem is still present. To clarify the
>>> problem is not that Real Player deletes selected
>>> restore points but that it deactivates System Restore and so all
>>> points are lost as is noted in the MS article. I
>>> prefer to download a setup file and monitor the install
>>> rather than use the integral updater and will do this as
>>> soon as possible but for now the www.real.com website
>>> won't load for me. I see a grey blank screen with just a
>>> white and blue bar at the top. Shows this way in IE,
>>> Firefox and OffByOne browsers and has for two days.
>>

> Updated to 10.5 (v. 6.0.12.1059) and can not reproduce
> problem. Thanks Bert and Amanda.

Hi Hem,

I'm glad to hear that the issue has been fixed by updating RealPlay.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions in the
future. You are always welcome.