[SOLVED] Really Need some help with my Connection.

Sep 14, 2021
For Context; I have lived in my block of apartments for 2 years now, and they only offer free wifi which is shared to all tenants, though also allow for people to purchase private networks for a disgustingly high price. I have no access to a router, and all of the Wall sockets for Ethernet seemed to be shut off, for those who purchase said private connections. (Something which I will struggle to afford) There is only what seems to be a Wireless Acess point, though it has no Ports for ethernet cables.
But during my First year, Having to use the Wifi with my PC, to Work and Game, was completely fine, and I had absolutely zero issues with using a Public Wifi, and I would have a constant stable connection, though moving into another apartment, two weeks ago or so, in the same building (2 floors up to the top floor, and around 3 doors along my connection is beyond terrible, and I am experiencing major Connection issues, Websites loading slow, Voice Calls from Discord and Zoom being completely unintelligible, and Games cannot even connect to servers, and on the odd chance I do, It's unplayable, to be followed by being kicked out, though when doing any kind of Speed test, my test speeds are coming back fast.
I have attempted to get in contact with my Landlord though they have ignored my emails, and the one time I went to the office, they just offered me the premium internet service.

My Question/Questions are:
Why would this be happening when:
1: I went a year experiencing 0 issues with connection, though now moving into a different apartment, in the same building and network, would I now be having these issues?
2: Despite still having fast internet speeds, why is this happening?

And Is there anything I can do in order to possibly help this? I've debated trying out a Wifi Extender, though from reading online I have seen both praise and critique's of such things (I also do not understand the Difference between an Extender, and a booster - as searching online says each does completely different things, and many of the products I have seen on the market, have both Extender and Booster in their product name. I wish to not purchase something just because of marketing buzzwords for it not to actually work....)
I hope i can overcome this issue without the need for purchasing the aforementioned premium internet service, and in reality, I shouldn't have to! Its been fine all the way up until recently!

I live in a fairly new Build apartment block, In a near Dustless apartment, and I make sure to clean the internal parts of my PC for dust every 3-6 months. I am also convinced this is not my own fault, as I make sure to look after my PC, as quite frankly, I cannot afford to replace any parts or purchase an entirely new setup (High Rent Costs!) and up until moving into this new apartment, I have had no issues.

I am a slight technophobe and do not fully understand the entire in and outs of everything, but up until now, I have run several Speed tests, all of which came back with fairly fast speeds, Ran Packet loss tests to my local server (UK) and the results are fairly terrible results (+40%), and even looked into my Network channel, and i am seemingly on a channel which is best for my situation. I have also Updated my Network Driver recently.

I am more than happy to provide any more information that i can offer in order to solve this situation!

(Here is a screenshot of a speed test performed during my typing out of this post: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtE0ggF
)
(Here is a screenshot of my PC specifications: View: https://imgur.com/vG9VXsf
)

Any Help, Recommendations, or anything will be greatly, greatly appreciated!!!

kanewolf

Titan
For Context; I have lived in my block of apartments for 2 years now, and they only offer free wifi which is shared to all tenants, though also allow for people to purchase private networks for a disgustingly high price. I have no access to a router, and all of the Wall sockets for Ethernet seemed to be shut off, for those who purchase said private connections. (Something which I will struggle to afford) There is only what seems to be a Wireless Acess point, though it has no Ports for ethernet cables.
But during my First year, Having to use the Wifi with my PC, to Work and Game, was completely fine, and I had absolutely zero issues with using a Public Wifi, and I would have a constant stable connection, though moving into another apartment, two weeks ago or so, in the same building (2 floors up to the top floor, and around 3 doors along my connection is beyond terrible, and I am experiencing major Connection issues, Websites loading slow, Voice Calls from Discord and Zoom being completely unintelligible, and Games cannot even connect to servers, and on the odd chance I do, It's unplayable, to be followed by being kicked out, though when doing any kind of Speed test, my test speeds are coming back fast.
I have attempted to get in contact with my Landlord though they have ignored my emails, and the one time I went to the office, they just offered me the premium internet service.

1: I went a year experiencing 0 issues with connection, though now moving into a different apartment, in the same building and network, would I now be having these issues?

And Is there anything I can do in order to possibly help this? I've debated trying out a Wifi Extender, though from reading online I have seen both praise and critique's of such things (I also do not understand the Difference between an Extender, and a booster - as searching online says each does completely different things, and many of the products I have seen on the market, have both Extender and Booster in their product name. I wish to not purchase something just because of marketing buzzwords for it not to actually work....)
I hope i can overcome this issue without the need for purchasing the aforementioned premium internet service, and in reality, I shouldn't have to! Its been fine all the way up until recently!

I live in a fairly new Build apartment block, In a near Dustless apartment, and I make sure to clean the internal parts of my PC for dust every 3-6 months. I am also convinced this is not my own fault, as I make sure to look after my PC, as quite frankly, I cannot afford to replace any parts or purchase an entirely new setup (High Rent Costs!) and up until moving into this new apartment, I have had no issues.

I am a slight technophobe and do not fully understand the entire in and outs of everything, but up until now, I have run several Speed tests, all of which came back with fairly fast speeds, Ran Packet loss tests to my local server (UK) and the results are fairly terrible results (+40%), and even looked into my Network channel, and i am seemingly on a channel which is best for my situation. I have also Updated my Network Driver recently.

I am more than happy to provide any more information that i can offer in order to solve this situation!

(Here is a screenshot of a speed test performed during my typing out of this post: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtE0ggF
)
)

There is very little you can do since you don't control anything. It is like asking "The WIFI at Starbucks sucks, what can I do?"
You can verify that the antennas on your WIFI card are intact. That is about all you can control.
Everything else is a complaint to management, purchase dedicated network or move.

Answers. :D
1. Wireless is HIGHLY dependent on where you are. Even moving 5 feet can change your experience. A move across floors and whatnot--definitely going to change.

2. Well, I'm not convinced that you have fast speeds. Run packetlosstest.com on the 1080p setting and post back the results. If you have massive packet loss or delays, your speeds aren't fast even if speedtest sites say it is.

Sep 14, 2021
are you using the 2.4 or 5 gig channel but speed is good to check the time of day this happens might be too many on for the power of the wireless router your landlord have.

So when using the Wifi Analyser app, my Chanel I am connected to is 2.4 it seems, and there is no 5gz channels I am able to connect to.
View: https://imgur.com/a/jji00jJ

When viewing my Wifi Settings it says I am on a 5gz Network Band. Might this be a reason as to why I am having these issues? as I am currently using a 5gz band on a channel that is only 2.4?
View: https://imgur.com/a/7YWfb9g

You are reading the chart wrong. You are connected via 5g, even without anything else I would know this because you would never get speedtest numbers above 100mbps on 2.4.

The chart show no 2.4g radios to connect to. That actually is extremely strange because you would think someone in a apartment near you has their own router that you could see even if you could not connect.

In any case it likely doesn't matter the only signal you can connect to is the one you are using.

Your signal levels look ok which then means it is likely interference at the router/AP end. Wifi is not really designed to be used like your apartment is doing it. Wifi unlike a cell tower or even a cable modem has no method where the main network control when the end devices can use the network. It uses half duplex radio transmissions which means only 1 device can transmit at the same time. What the device must do is listen and see if it hears data transmission and if not it can then transmit. This works ok if you just look at the router and end device because to function they must be able to hear each other well. The problem comes when the router is talking to 2 different end device. Both these have strong signal to the router but are too far away from each other to detect the signal. So you will have cases where both device check to see and will transmit over the top of each other without knowing. At the router/ap end the 2 signals are overlapped and get errors.

There is nothing you can fix on your end. You already have the best signal you can get and you have no other option for connection to any other radio channels. This is purely a issue with using a shared system.

Sep 16, 2021

)
)

WiFi sucks at times, it’s dependent on so many things, and sounds to me like your previous apartment was in a prime spot. It’s definitely worth trying the old faithfuls, definitely get on your pc network settings and ‘forget network’, clear cache cookies etc and then reconnect. If that doesn’t help matters, then I’d think you'd have a good case for complaining again to the landlord. Take snips etc of the screen, as they surely must state the public network as being usable..which it now isn’t, in your case. Do any other wifi networks show up for you there? Specifically BT?

TRENDING THREADS