Question Really weird GPU stalling after 15-30 minutes of running a game ?

Dec 14, 2022
So I recently upgraded a bunch of pc parts.
I have:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 4GHz Eight-Core CPU
ASUS Prime X570P Motherboard,
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT (brand new)
850 Gold power supply.

The brand new AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT is an upgrade from an AMD Radeon RX 590

Every time I run a game it will work perfectly fine for 15-20 minutes seemingly at random, and then my frames will absolutely tank.
When I look at my AMD Adrenaline at the performance of my GPU, it starts stalling at 0% usage occasionally jumping up to like 45% usage and then back down to 0 for anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes then it will just go back to normal.

The graphics card wont stall again for the rest of the run time but if I were to close the game and reopen it, it would happen again after the same amount of time.
I've reinstalled my drivers for my GPU, checked to make sure I don't have any extra things checked in the settings, power mode is set to performance.
Nothing I do seems to effect it, my GPU just decides to stall for a little bit then go back to normal and it is incredibly annoying since I close out of my games a lot during the day.
My CPU, Ram, VRAM, everything stays consistent but my GPU. (See attached image)
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

SW614rh.png

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool and just watch for awhile - at least until the system is stable and nothing changing.

Leave the tool window open and drag to one side or the other so you can continue to watch what is happening.

Then game as usual and pay close attention to the observation window. Especially around the 15 - 20 minute mark.

What happens or stops happening when the frames tank?

One possibility is that some other task or process is being launched in the background., Check Task Scheduler for anything being triggered 15 - 20 minutes after the game is launched.

Another tool that could help is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The overall objective being to discover what the system is doing, trying to do, or perhaps no longer doing when the problem occurs.

Dec 14, 2022
I checked Test Scheduler and couldn't find anything that would trigger under those circumstances.
I watched Task Manager and didn't see any noticeable changes when things would stall, however when I watched in resource manager I saw this.
While my GPU show any signs of changed performance, my CPU did which is weird since it's my GPU that's stalling out.
When the frame drops first hit the CPU usage changed like this:
80T6SfN.png

After waiting out the 30 or so seconds, the framerate stabilized and the GPU stopped stalling at this point:
IbH65Dd.png

Then another 15-20 seconds later everything returned back to the way it was before the GPU stalled:
4TPKsNJ.png