Question really weird pc stuff going on

onlyklipcsh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
so basically a couple of weeks ago I swapped my old pc into a new case so I could fit my 3080 I got right, everything was fine and it was working great! a day or two goes by and I start getting random blue screens due to access violation basically right so I figured my ram was going and I was getting ready to replace it, a week after my screen starts getting screen artifacts on bootup and it's gotten worse over the past week or so and looking into it seems like it's due to a busted capacitor in my monitor because it doesn't do it with my other display when I unplugged my main one so I was going to get it sent out for repair. TODAY, when I went to turn my pc on there was no display and none of my fans were spinning to life EXCEPT the 3 at the front of my case and 3 on the side my top two fans weren't spinning nor was my exhaust, my GPU and CPU fan weren't as well. I started with the basics of swapping ram and stuff when I pulled my first stick and tried to boot up my fans started spinning and I got a display horray! I assumed it was just a bad stick however I wanted to make sure it was the stick and not like the slot. I took the working ram stick out that was in dimm 4 and put the non functioning one in dimm 4 and it booted to life and worked fine, so I swapped the sticks around and both of them worked am I losing my mind I kept at it for a bit and sometimes it'd work sometimes it wouldn't wtf is going on im so confused man. HAHA any thoughts? also, my RGB fans flicker and come back on when I post idk if that'd be helpful at all, thanks guys!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Start with full system specs.

What was your old GPU?

RTX 3080 is a 320W part, if your PSU wasn't up to the job it may have been damaged and is now the source of your troubles.

Still, a recent swap from a case means you touched everything. Touch them again. You want to check the CPU cooler and CPU by re-socketed and remounting to make sure everything is still fitting together right. Memory pins could be intermittent to the CPU.

Not sure how that would explain the monitor. Does it have a USB port that was plugged in? If so you should take a close look at the wires coming from the chassis going into the motherboard. A short somewhere in the 5V power could cause a lot of problems.

onlyklipcsh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
CPU: R5 5600x
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio 12GB
RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB 3600
MOBO: ASUS TUF X570-Plus WIFI
PSU: Thermaltake 750w 80+ bronze (about 4 years old)
OLD GPU: Some 1070 blower EVGA card from a prebuilt

My monitor doesn't have any USB ports on it at all if I were to guess more than likely my monitor isn't related to it and is probably another unfortunate problem I'm being faced with right now. Another weird thing was that if I left my pc on for a bit, the other fans would all start spinning to life, and then my pc would boot, so from what I'm assuming my pc isn't booting at all when it's in that state. idk if my PSU could be an issue it is only 750w and I feel like that's probably pushing it? especially at 80+ bronze right? maybe that could be it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much the only reputable models from Thermaltake are the toughpower grand series, which are gold rated. If this is a TR2 or Smart, it is likely to get overloaded by a 3080. Checking the voltages it puts out would be worth doing, but it needs a replacement regardless.

You'll want something like an 850W Superflower Leadex, Corsair RMx, EVGA G6, Seasonic GX or PX, etc.

Ryzen 5600x is less likely to have something go wrong from an overly tight cooler or mishandling when being moved from chassis to chassis with the cooler still attached. I would again take a look at your front panel headers, USB header cables, etc. They can simply be unplugged while you troubleshoot.

Swapping the PSU should make sure you touch just about everything else.

onlyklipcsh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
yeah im def thinking it's the psu it's just not delivering power to the board there's no indicator leds nothing it's just weird that like about half my fans are working im running two fan controllers and two corsair lighting nodes you have any idea why that'd be happening? I have both my fan controllers plugged into the bottom of my board and all of the lights are working for all the fans the nodes are running straight from sata power directly off of the psu

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, I'd replace the PSU and then re-evaluate the stuation. It makes sense to do this first because I'd replace that PSU under any circumstances; as Eximo notes, the Toughpower Grands are pretty much the only really good PSUs Thermaltake sells. And with an RTX 3080, you really should be using a top-tier PSU because of the transient loads associated with recent high-end GPUs.

TRENDING THREADS