Question Realtek Audio not giving me an option for headset

Oct 16, 2020
Recently i upgraded my PC to a new one with a h87n wifi motherboard, but when I went to plug my headphones in (which have a mic), it gave me 4 options: line in, mic in, headphone and speaker out. Only the mic in option actually had any input, although it just consisted of some captured audio but mostly static. On my old PC I believe I had to just choose between 'Headphones,' and 'Headset,' with the latter sending audio input and output to the system. Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Headphones - headset - earphones....

Terminology is often mixed.

What is important is the audio device itself and the pin connections that it uses.

And there are varying pin configurations and standards.

If your headphone (using your terminology) has stereo ear pads (Left and Right) and a microphone a certain audio plugs are used and that plug must match or otherwise conform to the new PC's audio and mic ports.

You may need an adapter of some sort. For example an adapter that takes the end plug from your headphones and splits the audio between the new PC's "mic in" and "headphone and speaker out"

TS, TRS, TRRS (Tip, Sleeve, Ring).

Here a is link with some background information and explanation:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

What make and model headphones are you using?

Oct 16, 2020
Yes I thought that would be the issue as well. I am using my Beats Solo 3 and the aux cable (with a mic) that comes with it as a headset, as I had already put a hefty investment in a pair of headphones that also happened to have an input. I had no problems using these 2 for about a year. Do you reckon I need to buy a splitter or an audio jack to USB adapter?