[SOLVED] Realtek Audio Not Working (I've tried everything)

Dec 29, 2020
So I've looked all over the web and all over Toms Hardware forums for an answer, all over YouTube, etc. They are all suggesting doing the same thing which I've tried and not working.

For starters, here are my specs:
-Ryzen 7 3700X
-RX 5700 XT GPU
-MSI X570-a Pro MB

I have:
  1. Uninstalled & Reinstalled all Realtek drivers
  2. Updated all realtek to most recent drivers
  3. Gone into BIOS to make sure HD audio is enabled
  4. I have not rolled back to any old drivers because the audio ports have not worked since I've purchased this PC brand-new 6 months ago
  5. Uninstalled Voicemeter Banana & Drivers from PC (Audio ports didn't work before I installed either)
I believe that is all that I have done. Some things I have noticed while troubleshooting.
  1. While headphones are plugged into a port on front of PC, the "Speakers (Realtek (R) Audio)" continuously appears then disappears in both the Sounds panel & Device manager. It disappears when headphones are unplugged from the front port.
  2. The Realtek Digital Output shows decibel movement on the graph of the Sound Playback section and is set as default device but no audio is heard. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj-418lXhiUyg8Biao4o1eEGQhGFXA?e=H9rkMx
  3. I must also add that Realtek is not in the control panel when switched to the large icon view.
Possible helpful resources:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO

Thank You in advance!

UPDATE:

Here is a link to recording 2 of my monitors with some possible useful information. I have music playing in the background.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj-418lXhiUyg8Bj3Tbo477rF9R52A

Last edited:
Solution
Are the "Speakers" not a virtual representation of the HD surround sound capabilities of the soundboard? Maybe I'm not understanding?
Maybe I'm being confusing? Lol. When I plug a set of headphones into the front panel port on the front of the PC, the "Speakers (R) Realtek Audio" glitches by disappearing then reappearing, repeatedely.

Again, I appreciate your time with this issue, as I have tried everything it seems and I just want to use a couple of my headphones on this brand new PC of mine.
I am not sure what all the available audio output options you have on your PC, the video you provided is too low resolution for me to read.
If you plug your new headphones into the front panel output jack of your PC (make sure your are...
Dec 29, 2020
If your default playback device is the Realtek Digital Output, your speakers would need to be connected to the "Optical S/PDIF out" connection on your motherboards backpanel. Try switching the default audio device in Windows to Speakers.
Aww I see! I switched to Speakers & it shows audio movement in the sound panel but no audio is heard through headphones.

Dec 29, 2020
Have you double-checked if the audio jack on the front of your PC case is plugged into the Front Panel Header of your motherboard correctly?
Yes sir because I use the USB ports. I have made sure it is seated correctly as well. Though the problem isn't just the front audio jacks, I can't use the rear of the MB audio jack either.

Dec 29, 2020
Have you tried each of the different options listed in Playback?
Yes. I can use 3 other options:
  1. Logitech headset via USB
  2. Any of my 3.5mm headphones via the audio jack in the back of one of my monitors
  3. Speakers on one of my monitors

As long as I select one of those options through the playback options, they work. It's just when I try to plug one of my 3.5mm into the audio panel in the back of the MB, it detects audio but no sound is heard. I just received a new gaming headset that I'd actually like to use via the HD ports in the back. Plugging into the back of my gaming monitor is not a viable option because it's quiet and no options to adjust audio configs as with the realtek software.

Yes. I can use 3 other options:
  1. Logitech headset via USB
  2. Any of my 3.5mm headphones via the audio jack in the back of one of my monitors
  3. Speakers on one of my monitors
As long as I select one of those options through the playback options, they work. It's just when I try to plug one of my 3.5mm into the audio panel in the back of the MB, it detects audio but no sound is heard. I just received a new gaming headset that I'd actually like to use via the HD ports in the back. Plugging into the back of my gaming monitor is not a viable option because it's quiet and no options to adjust audio configs as with the realtek software.
If you are getting audio through your monitor it means Windows is routing audio out through the HDMI port of your video card. You should be able to change that in Windows PC Settings.
Try going to "PC Settings > System > Sound > Output > Choose your output device".
You can also look at "PC Settings > System > Sound > Advanced sound options > App volume and device preferences".

Dec 29, 2020
If you are getting audio through your monitor it means Windows is routing audio out through the HDMI port of your video card. You should be able to change that in Windows PC Settings.
Try going to "PC Settings > System > Sound > Output > Choose your output device".
You can also look at "PC Settings > System > Sound > Advanced sound options > App volume and device preferences".
I tried both options just now. It was no different than before :/

Dec 29, 2020
Is it possible that the front panel is shorting out the audio in the back somehow? As referenced in my original post, when a headset is plugged into the audio jack on front panel port, it glitches out.

Dec 29, 2020
If you plug headphones into your computer the speaker should cut out. Either speakers or headphones should work at one time.
Are the "Speakers" not a virtual representation of the HD surround sound capabilities of the soundboard? Maybe I'm not understanding?
Maybe I'm being confusing? Lol. When I plug a set of headphones into the front panel port on the front of the PC, the "Speakers (R) Realtek Audio" glitches by disappearing then reappearing, repeatedely.

Again, I appreciate your time with this issue, as I have tried everything it seems and I just want to use a couple of my headphones on this brand new PC of mine.

I am not sure what all the available audio output options you have on your PC, the video you provided is too low resolution for me to read.
If you plug your new headphones into the front panel output jack of your PC (make sure your are not plugged into the microphone jack by mistake) then just try each of your audio output options in turn until you hear sound.

Here are two troubleshooting guides you can read for "No sound from headphones in Windows 10". You may find a solution for your particular issue.

Solution