[SOLVED] Realtek High Definition Audio - The file RTKVHD64.sys is not digitally signed

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 laptop.

There are no problems detected and I haven't had any sound issues but I'm wondering what this "signing" would mean.

In the past I automatically updated my sound drivers to just "Realtek Audio" but it caused my sound to be very quiet, so I reverted it back to the old driver and it was fine. Does this signing have anything to do with drivers?

In general does this digital signature fail check happen commonly and it's nothing to worry about?

Solution
Hi all,

There are no problems detected and I haven't had any sound issues but I'm wondering what this "signing" would mean.

In the past I automatically updated my sound drivers to just "Realtek Audio" but it caused my sound to be very quiet, so I reverted it back to the old driver and it was fine. Does this signing have anything to do with drivers?

In general does this digital signature fail check happen commonly and it's nothing to worry about?

I have used Realtek sound drivers for years and have never encountered an unsigned driver. So I would caution you as to--where did you obtain this driver from and is the source authorized and reliable. It may be that the source altered or...
in my experience it usually has had to do with Microsoft not verifying the driver as Windows certified.
not a real problem usually.

when you install the latest drivers and sound resulted in a "quiet" filter,
did you go through Windows Sound settings and configure your audio device?
sometimes a virtual surround option will be implemented that results in an odd "quiet" sound.
editing the option to stereo can alleviate this.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
in my experience it usually has had to do with Microsoft not verifying the driver as Windows certified.
not a real problem usually.

when you install the latest drivers and sound resulted in a "quiet" filter,
did you go through Windows Sound settings and configure your audio device?
sometimes a virtual surround option will be implemented that results in an odd "quiet" sound.
editing the option to stereo can alleviate this.
I remember trying to fiddle around when it happened, it seemed to have removed dolby audio enhancements which helped increase volume. I wouldn't hastle with updating my sound drivers anymore since they work fine the way they are now.

Hi all,

I have used Realtek sound drivers for years and have never encountered an unsigned driver. So I would caution you as to--where did you obtain this driver from and is the source authorized and reliable. It may be that the source altered or damaged the driver in some manner resulting in it becoming unsigned, or it could be a simple error during the download. A virus and malware scan might be warranted.

Solution

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I have used Realtek sound drivers for years and have never encountered an unsigned driver. So I would caution you as to--where did you obtain this driver from and is the source authorized and reliable. It may be that the source altered or damaged the driver in some manner resulting in it becoming unsigned, or it could be a simple error during the download. A virus and malware scan might be warranted.
Well, I did do a clean install on a new NVMe SSD just a few days ago, I didn't update the sound drive at all because I know the original worked perfect.

I don't believe it's related to malware it's just the default driver that came with my refurbished laptop.