Reasons not to migrate to Windows Vista

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ME is better???? OH NO you did NOt just say that?
ME was the worst version of Windows ever.

The worst version if windows ever was not ME, it was the very original version of 95. So many bugs it was unimaginable.

ME was however the most POINTLESS version of Windows ever, very little was upgraded from 98SE.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
As someone has pointed out this was my first posting on THG. I did not intend to post under the wrong topic. I humbly apologize. It was very late here, and I should have paid attention to the screen more. But, in all truth, I will probably upgrade to Vista. True, it is a beta. I am sure it will evolve for the better over time. I Just had to get it off my chest some of the things that could use a bit of improving. My hardware is 64 bit. So, I will probably buy the 64 bit Home premium upgrade disk. This lists at Amazon.com for $159.00. From what I have heard tell its going to nigh unto impossible to pirate Vista. Key features of the OS will be switched off. Of course, someone will probably figure it out.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
1. UAP. User account protection. This annoying feature will have you answering yes or no questions endlessly until you put it out of it's misery in user accounts. ( Turn it off for God's sake). The bad news, then, is that UAP is a sad, sad joke. It's the most annoying feature that Microsoft has ever added to any software product, and yes, that includes that ridiculous Clippy character from older Office versions.

I respectfully disagree. I have a .exe which will not go away under Vista and it keeps trying to run itself. I searched the internet and its a virus/bug of some nature, so I just keep telling it DENY! and my system is golden. While I agree it can be annoying at times, it can really help if people pay attention. It is something we will have to get used to.

2. The 'Aero Look'. Another annoying feature. Why? Every single time I open a program Vista informs me that it is switching to basic windows. The screen 'pops'. This is very disturbing. (I have tested this since it was named 'Longhorn'.

This happened to me only when Java was booted up on RC1, now on RC2 I haven't run into this problem yet. I probably will once I boot up LimeWire Pro, but other than that I haven't seen my OS switch to classic for any reason. I could see this being annoying, but I think it has come a long way since Beta. Give it time, M$ isn't entirely stupid.

3. Vista requires roughly 3 times the RAM that Xp uses to do the same thing. Unless your PC is at least 3 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM it'll move like molasses in the wintertime.

I have talked to several people running Sempron's who haven't had any issues with the OS and its speed. Like XP, Vista is adaptive and will configure itself to best utilize what resources it has available. Also, ReadyBoost allows a user to speed up an OS with a Flash drive, which is much cheaper than installing RAM.

4. The price. WHY is it so over priced? The upgrade to Vista Ultimate alone is listed at Amazon.com for $259.00.

That's why they started offering tiers for the OS. Just like Sony and M$ are offering tiers for the PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively. Also game prices are finally starting to break the $50 barrier that they held for a long time. Inflation sucks, but it isn't like we buy a new OS every year, these things last 3-5 years.

5. I do not have access to basic windows files. I am locked out of files like 'My Documents'. Microsoft has decided that the average User is too stupid to allow access to certain Windows files. This is insulting. I am offended. I know security is an issue an all, but locking a person out of certain files is Not the answer. The User is locked into a Roaming profile, thus they are disallowed access to certain Windows files.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what are you smoking? I have 3 hard drives, one has data that I download, one has XP install including documents and games, and the third is Vista RC2. I haven't had any problems accessing my XP documents from Vista and visa versa. This is a legitimate concern had it been true. It may be for you, although I don't know how.

6. Broken promises
Windows Vista was going to include a completely rewritten file system, based on SQL Server and once called Storage+. Later renamed to WinFS, this file system was downgraded to a "storage engine," meaning that it would, in fact, run on top of the decades-old NTFS file system. Then WinFS was stripped out of Windows Vista because the performance was so horrible.

Ok, I am peeved that they did yank WinFS. I will concede this point to you, it is a good one. M$ aimed for the sky and came up about 10000ft short of outer space lol.

7. The pain of migration. And why not Just stay with Windows Xp? At least all of my programs work. Think: what big advantage are you getting? Security? I don't know...with a good Firewall and anti-virus you're all set.

The pain of migration is mitigated by intelligent back ups and spare drives, now obviously not everyone has this ability, but thats why they invented DVD-R's. I reinstall my OS every 8 months or so, cause that is how long it takes me to royally screw an installation up between OC'ing, beta software, some hacks and other crap. My mother however has been on the same install for 4-5 years. It's a matter of just being careful, although I agree it's a pain.

Mrgreen371

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
DirectX 10.

I was under the impression that the Dx10 api will only be in Vista. So to get the full use of my dx10 graphics card I will need Vista. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
DirectX 10.

I was under the impression that the Dx10 api will only be in Vista. So to get the full use of my dx10 graphics card I will need Vista. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Well that is still the official stance of M$, as far as I know. DX10 will be Vista only, however, the market may unite and revolt against them and force them to release DX10 on XP. I don't know if its possible, it seems like it is, but I am not a programmer. Halo 2 is supposed to be DX10 and therefore you will need Vista to get the most out of it. Several other games have been mentioned as well, that is just the one that comes to mind.

We will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Halo 2 is supposed to be DX10 and therefore you will need Vista to get the most out of it.

Really? I was under the impression that Halo 2 will only run on Vista. The issue here isn't that Halo 2 will run with only DX9 features on XP, but that it won't run on XP at all. Unless you use an emulator or something.

Sefk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
but still, for our geek, 995 of the new feature seems useless, but for the mainstream:
Aero glass: I hear a lot of gril saying that xp is the best because it looks good.....Aero glass is prettier..
New audio controle: With xp my mother can't even getting a bigger volume of the microphone, the vista one seems very enhanced and very easy to use.
Removal of menu bar: that's fun, the OS will be less geek looking. When i started to use pc I never touch it cause the menu bar seemed to hide importants settings and touching them would crash the pc :p
New search: The search option is such a crappy stuff
Parental control: parents good love to restricted access to children of violent game(at the detriment of the development of micro skillz of teens :p )

Resume of all this: vista seems less geek to me and more n00b friendly with some feature like directx 10, enhanced security, ready boost to enthusiasts.

And if vista take too much resource:
1: 4gb ram will be common next years I think
2: Intel will stop making those f***ing crap intergrate GPU

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Like it was back in the days when we were searching for a reason to migrate to XP. The 98 ran the games slight faster in the first few months. XP was taking bigger hdd space. Had bigger requirements from the hardware. And so on and so on. And believe it or not, the majority ot the users running XP today will migrate to Vist just a few months up to an year after it's release. They will purchase the additional(or brand new) hardware needed. Will claim that this is the next best thing since sliced bread. It's some sick dejavu that i get every time a new M$ OS comes out. It's not that if Vista is poor it will make people migrate to Linux.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Nah XP was awsome linux wont play the games (so for me linux is out of the question) My hardware buying desisions are based on games not OS :eek: next best thing? nah XP was however the first windows i liked.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
ME is better???? OH NO you did NOt just say that?
ME was the worst version of Windows ever.

The worst version if windows ever was not ME, it was the very original version of 95. So many bugs it was unimaginable.

ME was however the most POINTLESS version of Windows ever, very little was upgraded from 98SE.

Unadulterated truth

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Halo 2 is supposed to be DX10 and therefore you will need Vista to get the most out of it.

Really? I was under the impression that Halo 2 will only run on Vista. The issue here isn't that Halo 2 will run with only DX9 features on XP, but that it won't run on XP at all. Unless you use an emulator or something.

you know... that is a good point and honestly, I don't know the answer.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i dont see people posting ignorant statements only thier opinions.

Yes and lack of experience and understanding of the said OS and the underlying features it contains is showing as well.

Here let me demonstrate;

Person A: "I hate windows it looks like crap" Answer: Then change the appearance it’s not hard.
Person B: "Windows is too expensive" Answer: I paid 246 for my copy of XP Pro back in 2002 that roughly works out to 16 cents a day frankly your a cheap wad that whines about the cost of a product but most likely pays more in a year for internet access.
Person C: "Windows has useless features" Answer: Disable them Microsoft add features like that so Administrators can deploy OS configurations that are lighter and more "for the job".

Frankly I don't feel anyone’s opinion on a beta OS is even justified and with many of the folks that have commented are most likely software pirates whining about something you have not purchased and most likely will never purchase is laughable and further devalues your opinion.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Some of the points in the original posts are typical for new windows versions, some can be disconnected like UAC (through a local policy), but if Vista really wants to lock users out of part of the system, then I will pass until it has been cracked. Anyway, I never install any Microsoft OS until service pack 1, and in the past I have complete bypassed versions which didn't deliver value (Windows 2.11/286, WinNT 3.1, Windows 98 (until SE, which was ok), Windows Millenium). I think the jury is still out on Vista, but I am not linening up to be the first one to try. I for one will stay with XP another year until applications have been upgraded, the worst bugs fixed (SP1) and the DRM cracked.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
i dont see people posting ignorant statements only thier opinions.

Yes and lack of experience and understanding of the said OS and the underlying features it contains is showing as well.

Here let me demonstrate;

Person A: "I hate windows it looks like crap" Answer: Then change the appearance it’s not hard.
Person B: "Windows is too expensive" Answer: I paid 246 for my copy of XP Pro back in 2002 that roughly works out to 16 cents a day frankly your a cheap wad that whines about the cost of a product but most likely pays more in a year for internet access.
Person C: "Windows has useless features" Answer: Disable them Microsoft add features like that so Administrators can deploy OS configurations that are lighter and more "for the job".

Frankly I don't feel anyone’s opinion on a beta OS is even justified and with many of the folks that have commented are most likely software pirates whining about something you have not purchased and most likely will never purchase is laughable and further devalues your opinion.

Word.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
So they shouldnt discuss thier concerns or problems with it and seek out other people who ahve tried it to see if they are doing something wrong or find out something new? doesnt exactly seem like ignorance to me. In fact it seems more like seeking the know how or facts about something. Kinda anti ignorance? not that i really care of course but saying they are ignorant doesnt serve any purpose whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.