Reasons not to migrate to Windows Vista

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
So they shouldnt discuss thier concerns or problems with it and seek out other people who ahve tried it to see if they are doing something wrong or find out something new? doesnt exactly seem like ignorance to me. In fact it seems more like seeking the know how or facts about something. Kinda anti ignorance? not that i really care of course but saying they are ignorant doesnt serve any purpose whatsoever.

That’s not what this particular forum is for Microsoft has a user feed back system go there and gripe to them. More to the point of the said "ignorance" appears to originate from the original poster and has steadily gained momentum; it's turned into a Microsoft OS bashing thread and not a genuine user feedback.

As well I have yet to point fingers at people that I find offensive, given time I may yet but hopefully this pointless thread will be moved or locked and future OS discussions can be done in the correct location.

It also appears action man is with me on this when we don't want to hear how you dont like this and that and think that is stupid and this is retarded and how everything overall is stupid.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Some of the points in the original posts are typical for new windows versions, some can be disconnected like UAC (through a local policy), but if Vista really wants to lock users out of part of the system, then I will pass until it has been cracked... I for one will stay with XP another year until applications have been upgraded, the worst bugs fixed (SP1) and the DRM cracked.

What's your beef with DRM? Certain schema or OK and it is necessary to avoid losing all revenue, if Vista didn't have DRM M$ would sell maybe 3 copies and then just have those distributed over and over throughout the world. Get off your ass and pay for some software...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
It might be in the wrong place o well it happens but serioulsy if you dont want to hear/read something dont its really that simple . I ignore alot of posts i dont care about and dont want to read. Its kinda like changing a channel no one forced you to read it or reply to it.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
It might be in the wrong place o well it happens but serioulsy if you dont want to hear/read something dont its really that simple . I ignore alot of posts i dont care about and dont want to read. Its kinda like changing a channel no one forced you to read it or reply to it.

You ignore the 3 main issues here; 1. This is not a OS dicussion forum 2. This is not a constructive user feedback thread 3. This thread has opinions and not facts.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004

You ignore the 3 main issues here; 1. This is not a OS dicussion forum 2. This is not a constructive user feedback thread 3. This thread has opinions and not facts.

Word.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
1. im not anal enough to care 2. wont argue it. 3. so what.

Case in point, we appear to have quite the difference in opinion on the subject, and frankly thats fine. But while you don't care I do, and I will continue to comment on issues like this in the future and I am sure you won't care to.

Works out for the both of us.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
What's your beef with DRM? Certain schema or OK and it is necessary to avoid losing all revenue, if Vista didn't have DRM M$ would sell maybe 3 copies and then just have those distributed over and over throughout the world. Get off your ass and pay for some software...

Well I have several problems with DRM:

1) DRM in the end depends on me, the user, not having complete control over MY computer. If I have complete control, I (or somebody else) will crack whatever DRM is installed. So in the war between pirates and publishers, are increasingly leading to less user control, as it is the only way publishers can be safe from pirates. It is my computer, and I will have the possibility of deciding exactly what data is stored, what processes to run and what to transmit. I do not but any DRM protected content for exactly that reason. I do pay for CD's (which are digital content not copy protected), but never buy online music (except unprotected MP3s) nor DVD's. If Vista wants to control what I can run, so I can not pirate it, then I will not buy it.

2) DRM causes technical problems, which costs money in a professional setting, while adding zero value to the customer. If they lower the price of DRM protected content, then I will consider the cost/benefit, but as it is now, I see no reason to buy DRM protected content - software or not.

3) The Tech industri has always benefited from having technology spread, even through piracy. That increases usage and gives more people to chance to learn to use the software.
If it wasn't for piracy I would never have learned to program a proper computer language back in the beginning of the 1980's.
In the end businesses pays for software (as we should) and software publishers get paid for their work. Even with piracy, many developers are so well paid to have grown into some of the wealthest companies and persons in the world - so the software industry can not be said to be in crisis because of piracy. Least of all Microsoft!

4) The only reason Microsoft is now inplementing DRM is that they feel safe as a monopolist. Because there is no alternative to Windows, Microsoft no longer cares if people learns Windows on pirated versions and then later uses paid versions in the workplace. If businesses no longer has a choice, then the "Pirate then buy" business model no longer works to their advantage.

-- And by the way, yes, I pay for my Windows (MSDN subscription) :D .

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
When it comes to the point of buying windows i might buy windows but ill still used the Corp versions or crached hacked versiosn with out all the bs like hte digital foot print that shuts down the system if you change to much. Something im unwhilling to deal with. So the paid for copy will sit in my desk unopened while i burn the copy of the OS i rather use. If people see that as a problem sorry but as long as im able to do it that way ill keep doing it that way.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well, with Vista there is no such thing as a Corp version. Every version needs to activate - and not just once- several times during the year it needs to reactivate - so Microsoft can disable your Windows any time they like.
In business setting that means setting up special "Activation servers" - again work/cost which is not compensated.

i dont actualy i just dont see the justification of calling someone ignorant for no reason.
Ignorance stems from stating opinion as fact, and for your discussing OS related questions on a hardware forum.
Got an OS question or topic? Go here:
snap1bo6.png

Nuff said.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
never mind i stop caring. Ill never understand why people can be so anal and get so irritated about simple mistakes. So he posted in the wrong section it hardly shows ignorance at best carelesness Fact/opinion as you see it? or do you have something to back it up with. like i said dont care. Have fun being called idiots for stating your opinions/facts because this thread is in hte wrong place and he doesnt agree with the opinions/facts stated in this missplaced thread.

So you noticed that he posted in the wrong section. Just because he made a simple mistake, it was pointed out nicely by many people here that this is not the correct section to place this in. Early on. Quite early on. Even the mod stepped in to say such. You guys kept going on.
That's when the tactics switch.
You see just because on person does wrong doesn't give you or I the permission to continue such.
Also, there is nothing wrong in stating opinion. But when you couch such opinions in the cloak of it being factual, you are bound to piss of a lot of people that know better. So with that I'm done here.
By the way, we're not anal we're just a bit miffed seeing 5 or so Vista topics pop up in the damn CPU section.
Good day to you.
Ninja

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
When it comes to the point of buying windows i might buy windows but ill still used the Corp versions or crached hacked versiosn with out all the bs like hte digital foot print that shuts down the system if you change to much.
Huh??

The problem with you, EnFoRceR22, is that you really do aspire to be an enforcer and authoritarian. You think you can come in here and thump your chest like a testosterone crazed gorilla and tell people what they should or should not do. I'm neither intimidated nor impressed.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
wasnt aware i was telling people what to do i was simply looking down on looking down on someone who admited to making a mistake and being careless. Its hardly my intention to intimidate and surely dont care about impressing anyone.

Well whatever think what you wish to think as "fact" it actualy doesnt matter to me. Have someone move the thread where it should be or delete it also doesnt matter to me. I'm over it already.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
So you noticed that he posted in the wrong section. Just because he made a simple mistake, it was pointed out nicely by many people here that this is not the correct section to place this in.
The problem was, it was not said very nicely. You also had the good sense to apologize to the original poster.
You guys kept going on. That's when the tactics switch.
Do you think discussion should stop in this thread, just because it is in the wrong forum?
As far as the moderators comment, he recognised the problem, and promised it would be moved as soon as possible to a new forum.

By the way, we're not anal we're just a bit miffed seeing 5 or so Vista topics pop up in the damn CPU section.

Five topics....! Now that is news. Of course that is not correct, but that does not have anything to do with this tread continueing.

Also, there is nothing wrong in stating opinion. But when you couch such opinions in the cloak of it being factual, you are bound to piss of a lot of people that know better.

I don´t see "Enforcer" doing that. It was certainly not him who started calling people names and being disagreable.

corporal_linko

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I was really looking forward to Vista, I have been playing with the RC's and liked it so far. Does anyone know if it is true what that you will only be able to transfer Vista once(motherboard changes) If that is true than no Vista for me, will stay with XP for long time to come. I change motherboards at least twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.