[SOLVED] Rebuilding a PC(?) Motherboard and Processor needed

Jul 9, 2020
Hi all,

So - it's been a long long time since I've built a PC, I'm sure I can still do it - I built mine in 2014ish and its been out of use since 2016 - the motherboard gave up and I had no intention to replace it. But now, I'm looking to just restore it as a simple PC perhaps with low/mid level gaming aspects. It currently has an R9 270 (I think) and 8GB ddr3 1600mhz RAM. I haven't looked at computer part specs in since 2016 either so I'm not up to date at all with anything. There's a 600W Corsair power supply in there too.

Was hoping someone could suggest a CPU and motherboard compatible with what I already own and possibly inform me if anything would have changed in regards to building a PC since 2014. Appreciate any suggestions - nothing too crazy obviously, I'm keeping the R9 270 so that should probably give you a rough guage of how much gaming I'm looking to do. Just looking to get the most bang for the least buck basically

Thanks guys :)

Solution
The cx600m had some sort of issues, really only suitable for budget builds, I can't recall. But if you get a used board to use with the athlon 870/760k(The 260k model number doesn't exist, so just guessing 860k/760k), i wouldn't be too concerned with the psu.

You can get a fm2+ board from ebay for around £30, The cpu is unlikely to have failed, so I'd just re-use that.

If you were to build a new platform, the cx600m wouldn't be ideal.
Jul 9, 2020
You'll have to look into a used or refurb cpu and board. Currently, we use ddr4 and intel socket 1200 and amd am4.
You didn't tell us your system specs or where you are based. The psu is likely a poor unit as well, so the model would help as well.

Thanks for responding. I didn't list the specs because honestly I don't remember them anymore - I just know the GPU and RAM the CPU was like an AMD athlon 260k - ancient I know - , the PSU is a corsair cx600m. I'm based in the UK too. The PSU and GPU probably only ran for about a year of daily use so I'm hoping they're salvageable for the rebuild.

From what I gather my options seem to be, get New RAM, motherboard and cpu or old motherboard and cpu to support the older RAM?

The cx600m had some sort of issues, really only suitable for budget builds, I can't recall. But if you get a used board to use with the athlon 870/760k(The 260k model number doesn't exist, so just guessing 860k/760k), i wouldn't be too concerned with the psu.

You can get a fm2+ board from ebay for around £30, The cpu is unlikely to have failed, so I'd just re-use that.

If you were to build a new platform, the cx600m wouldn't be ideal.

Solution