Recommend a new display

PracticallyGeek

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Good Morning all,

Newbie to the forum and signed up to post this thread.
Basically I've just bought a 4K Acer monitor and while it's all pretty it just doesn't work for my needs. Really should have put my homework together beforehand but oh well. It's going back for a refund luckily but I need some recommendations on a new display.

I'm not a daily gamer or play online but when I do play its for a good chunk of the day. I need a new display which will
A. Be great for both my PC and PS4, I've looked into using a 32in TV but not sure.
B. Will play PC games but mostly PS4 games really smooth with good image quality.

I've been looking at the ROG Swift by Asus which looks really nice but I get the feeling I will be paying a premium for the high refresh and G-Sync when I dont play online.

Any idea's guys?
I'd like to stay below the 600 pound mark if possible.

Cheers

Solution
Welcome to Tom's! :D

For use with the PS4, you won't get better picture quality than buying a 1080p monitor/TV.

Before I'm able to recommend a display, you have to decide what panel type you want to use. There are 4 types,

PLS: Basically Samsung's version of IPS due to the fact that LG owns the technology

IPS: Poor contrast, excellent viewing angles, high defect ratio, best suited for bright rooms

TN: Poor contrast, poor viewing angles, low defect ratio, best suited for bright rooms

VA: Excellent contrast, decent viewing angles, low defect ratio, suited for dimly lit/dark rooms.

Now, focus on 1080p, or you'll basically be throwing money away. If you need the extra screen real estate, by all means get a 1440p or 4k display, but...
Welcome to Tom's! :D

For use with the PS4, you won't get better picture quality than buying a 1080p monitor/TV.

Before I'm able to recommend a display, you have to decide what panel type you want to use. There are 4 types,

PLS: Basically Samsung's version of IPS due to the fact that LG owns the technology

IPS: Poor contrast, excellent viewing angles, high defect ratio, best suited for bright rooms

TN: Poor contrast, poor viewing angles, low defect ratio, best suited for bright rooms

VA: Excellent contrast, decent viewing angles, low defect ratio, suited for dimly lit/dark rooms.

Now, focus on 1080p, or you'll basically be throwing money away. If you need the extra screen real estate, by all means get a 1440p or 4k display, but no benefit as far as your PS4 is concerned.

If you're going to choose a TV, you can reach an input lag of as low as 30 ms, which is very good. The fastest gaming monitors are down to 10 ms, and the difference is hardly even noticeable. There are TV's which are 79-95-111, and so on, which should be avoided. So it's important to research a TV's true specs, a good source is www.rtings.com and www.displaylag.com.

When it comes to choosing a TV, it's important to consider refresh rate, and no, I'm not talking about interpolation or fake refresh rates. If you're going to watch a lot of blu-ray movies, then you want a 120 Hz TV, that should be mandatory. It's the only way you'll achieve cinema level playback at home, because 60 Hz TV's do a 3:2 pulldown (telecine), so you'll get judder.

All the best!

Solution
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Dell U2715H 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£388.32 @ Aria PC)
Total: £388.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-29 11:38 BST+0100

its a 2k ips panel well, for the gaming part from your ps4 1080p is supported by the ps4 but when you use it as a tv or for watching 2k from your pc.
the 2k with an ips panel will really shine.

PracticallyGeek

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Thanks for your input! Give me a lot to think about here. Really not sure but I definitely wont be watching films, maybe the odd YouTube video but mostly gaming. I think it would be best going for a monitor rather than TV because I will be using it for PC games.

PracticallyGeek

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Would I go with wrong with Asus ROG PG278Q?
Theres the 279Q out which is IPS but do I need IPS rather than TN?
At the minute I could save up and buy a new monitor or use my Argos card and get something from there but their range of monitor's isnt the best and they do have the ROG 278Q but not the 9Q