[SOLVED] Recommendation for a college laptop?

cijevisumojastvar

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
Hello! I'm a high school senior about to graduate and head for college relatively soon. I was also gifted a nice backpack for the holidays with an included space for a 15 inch laptop, so it would be a bit of a shame not to use that space, right?

In any case, I'm looking for, well, a 15 inch (1080p preferably) laptop that can breeze through Microsoft Office related tasks and play some light games like Minecraft and Pokemon (ROMs via emulators). I'm also looking for a very decent battery life, since I spend a lot of time on the internet, usually in 2-3 hour chunks a handful of times a day. Aside from the OS, Office, a handful of games and a browser - the only other things I usually have are a few hundred pictures and songs. I only ever used up a quarter of my 1TB HDD on my desktop PC, Windows and clutter included. That being said, I would prefer if the laptop had somekind of SSD. I don't really care if its paired with an HDD or not. I'd like for this device to last me through college and preferably a bit longer, so ~5 years or so. I have zero brand preference, and only honestly care about functionality. Also, I've bought a copy of Windows 10 a little while ago, so having no OS onboard isn't really an issue.

I am a Croatian living in Croatia, and we use the Croatian kuna (no Euro yet). A thing to note with the Croatian market compared to the US is that, even though the conversion rate is currently about 1USD = 6.7 HRK - a general rule of thumb is that 1USD = ~10HRK. So, say, a $150 GPU in the US will run you around 1500HRK here more or less (which in reality is $223). With that in mind, my budget for this laptop is 5000 HRK, with a bit of wiggle room on the plus side. So, any laptop between $500 to $550 will be fine, if possible.

Last edited:
Solution
If it's just basic office work and light gaming, no real need to go past a ryzen 3500u, the cpu is slower then intel, but not noticeable in daily tasks. The gpu is onboard and is far better then intel integrated options. You can find a few systems for around the 3500hkr point with ~6hrs battery.

You can find options with an intel 8300h and a gtx 1050 around the 5000hkr point, gaming performance will be better, but battery life will be lower.

(looking at nabava.net)
If it's just basic office work and light gaming, no real need to go past a ryzen 3500u, the cpu is slower then intel, but not noticeable in daily tasks. The gpu is onboard and is far better then intel integrated options. You can find a few systems for around the 3500hkr point with ~6hrs battery.

You can find options with an intel 8300h and a gtx 1050 around the 5000hkr point, gaming performance will be better, but battery life will be lower.

(looking at nabava.net)

Solution