[SOLVED] Recommendations for a budget build ?

Almusawi11

Honorable
Jun 21, 2017
Hey everyone,

So a friend of mine decided to get rid of some things including pc parts. I managed to save some. Was wondering with just a few more things, including used parts, I could build a working pc out of them.

Here's what we got:
i7 4790
single 8gb ddr3 so-dimm ram
(2) ddr4 8gb ram
asus gtx 760
dell 460w psu
1tb hard drive

What do you guys think? Worth a try or just sell for parts?

Last edited:
Solution
Hey everyone,

So a friend of mine decided to get rid of some things including pc parts. I managed to save some. Was wondering with just a few more things, including used parts, I could build a working pc out of them.

Here's what we got:
i7 4790
(2) ddr4 8gb ram
asus gtx 760
dell 460w psu
1tb hard drive

Nope. You can't use the small so-dimm stick because it's for laptops and some very small form factor pc's. DDR4 is for newer platforms and not supported by the 4790.

The old dell PSU is probably not worth using and may not even fit a standard retail pc tower. Also, it may have proprietary connectors that won't work for a standard pc. More...

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
If you don't have a PC for gaming now then it is definitely worth it. Provided that you do want to use it for gaming.

But before that, I would definitely buy a new PSU and perhaps even buy a new HDD or SSD.

Hey everyone,

Here's what we got:
i7 4790
(2) ddr4 8gb ram
asus gtx 760
dell 460w psu
1tb hard drive

Nope. You can't use the small so-dimm stick because it's for laptops and some very small form factor pc's. DDR4 is for newer platforms and not supported by the 4790.

The old dell PSU is probably not worth using and may not even fit a standard retail pc tower. Also, it may have proprietary connectors that won't work for a standard pc. More info would be needed to determine this.

Very few people need hard drives anymore. New SSD's are way faster and no longer expensive.

The GTX 760 GPU is around 8 years old now but it could be used for a while (if it works) and allow you to assemble a new pc for less money, replacing the GPU when budget allows. Depending on the speed of the DDR4 you could use it in a new build.

It would certainly not be worth spending money around the 4790 as you'd still have a 7 year old platform. You'd have to look on ebay for a used motherboard since they've been out of production for years and buy new/used DDR3 which is slow by todays standards.

To sum it up, the GPU could be used in a new system to keep initial build costs down, although I doubt the GTX 760 has the ability to power newer games/applications with acceptable performance. The DDR4 may be of use depending on the speed and latency.

Solution
What do you need a pc to do?
Simple desktop work?
Or pc gaming?
What is your budget?

To get an idea of what the parts are worth,
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

Considering what is available today, I would think in terms of a modern build.
The 16gb DDR4 ram is useful.
For desktop usage, integrated graphics is fine.
For gaming use, GTX760 is marginal, only entry level.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming use, GTX760 is marginal, only entry level.

I would say marginal only depending on what you want to do. Lots of E-sports titles it will run just fine, and the lower the resolution the better it gets. Plenty of popular older games to look at as well.

If you have an i7-4790, you can do something like pick up a refurbished office PC that has an i3 in it, and swap them out. That would get you your DDR3 and everything else. Power supply might still be an issue though. That would set you back something like $200.

You could just pick up a late model i3-10100F or i3-10105F (That's new) for $100, and a cheap motherboard. You already have the DDR4. So that would be about $175, just add chassis, power supply, and storage. So maybe $350 for a reasonably competent gaming machine.

TRENDING THREADS