I have an HP DC7100 SFF with Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express onboard
graphics. I'd like to enable dual monitors by adding a secondary card.
Can anyone recommend something suitable or advise me what features to
look for?

No card recommendation, but a little advice. First determine whether the
motherboard automatically disables the onboard video if an adapter is
installed. That will determine whether you need one card or two.
Secondly YOU need to determine what features YOU need and what you will
be willing to spend, as that will limit the selection greatly. Also go
to Start, Help and Support, plug in "multiple monitors" and read the
section on installing same. There is a link to the hardware
compatibility listing that will be useful. Happy hunting.

On 31 Aug 2005 04:48:01 -0700, Paul Welsh wrote:

> I have an HP DC7100 SFF with Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express onboard
> graphics. I'd like to enable dual monitors by adding a secondary card.
> Can anyone recommend something suitable or advise me what features to
> look for?

On the HP systems that I've owned, installing a display card automatically
disables the onboard video. Check your documentation or the HP site to find
out what happens on your system.

I like using dual monitors and make it simple by purchasing dualhead
display cards - one card that supports two monitors. Have used Matrox and
ATI cards of this type. nVidia has them available too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

If you motherboard has an AGP slot, then most any ATi or nVidia AGP video
card now provides two monitor support. However, for one connection (at
least) you would need a DVI to VGA adapter.

"Paul Welsh" <pwelsh@uk2.net> wrote in message
>I have an HP DC7100 SFF with Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express onboard
> graphics. I'd like to enable dual monitors by adding a secondary card.
> Can anyone recommend something suitable or advise me what features to
> look for?

Thanks for all the advice. I did some investigation of my own and
according to Intel, an HP DVI ADD2 PCIE Graphics Adapter (part no.
DY674A), which is made for the PCs we use, the dc7100 SFF, will allow
multi-monitor support under XP (see
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-013595.htm).
I saw these cards for the princely sum of GBP21 so I guess it would
have been worth a try if budget had been *really* tight.

However, since we currently use Twinfinity cards @ GBP400 each, GBP100
less than the PCs themselves (excluding Monitor), I splashed out a bit
more and ordered a low profile 128Mb Radeon PCI Express dual head card
for GBP65.

Later this week I'll know whether this GBP65 card performs well enough
for our needs (we're mainly running browser based in-house apps and
Office 2003).