Question Recommended for my system

Jun 11, 2019
Currently running
AMD Radeon 5450
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor 3.1 GHz
M4N68T-M V2 motherboard
8 gigs ram
Power supply is ATX-TL450W-BK 12V

Any recommendations to upgrade video card in the $150-200 range or is that even worth upgrading?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Without knowing where you are....

I would suggest trying to find ANY refurb model of Intel 3rd/4th gen Dell or HP with a desktop or tower case that would fit your video card inside. You "might" be able to use your current PSU or the one inside the newer box. Then consider something like a 1050ti, etc and or the new PSU if and as needed. I wouldn't spend one more dime trying to do anything further to the current machine.

Your system is quite old though, and the last BIOS is from 2012. Some newer cards may require UEFI BIOS, but we can't rule out Legacy Mode though. You can upgrade to some mid-range GPU, but you need to replace your current PSU model from APEVIA. This is a VERY poor quality PSU.

The Apevia Turbolink ATX-TL450W-BK might be sold as a 450 W unit, but it can only deliver 240 W. Having a fake wattage is the smallest of its problems: it can even damage your computer as well, especially since it provides noise/ripple levels above the maximum allowed, as it doesn’t even have the required filtering coils in its secondary.

Last edited: